My '62 Jag

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
LucyR
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

My '62 Jag

Post by LucyR » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:13 am

I learned bass and then guitar in my mid 80s high school days; I was a fan of "alternative rock" or whatever it was called back then, including people like Tom Verlaine or J Mascis who used offset Fenders, but were super obscure; I liked Elvis Costello and the Cars too, not to mention the Ventures - all kinds of stuff has caught my fancy.

My guitar playing brother had a book with a title like "The Guitar Encyclopedia," pretty short but full of helpful info - I remember learning about chord shapes and the circle of fifths - and also lots of glossy photos, including pics of JMs, Jags, and other odds and ends Fender cranked out. Well, being a fan of music that didn't get much respect, I was immediately intrigued by these odd models. too Later we formed a band with a New Wave veteran from Boston who mostly played an early 60s JM, and also had an Electric XII - great guitar; when I found out the Velvet Underground guys played those I liked them even more.

I found this Jag in a Portland Oregon shop in 1989, for the princely sum of $200. Image

1962 Fender Jaguar - Album on Imgur A previous owner stripped the finish off, and I've always wondered what it originally was. There appears to be a bunch of black paint underneath the heel of the neck - maybe it was black? But you see a kind of gradated color in the cavity for the volume/tone knobs, so maybe it was a sunburst, which was stripped, painted, then the new finish was removed too? I've forgotten some of the details here. Maybe I stripped all the black paint off? It's been 30 years...I'm pretty certain the original tremolo arm was gone, leaving me with no qualms about bending the bajeezus out of the new one. :mellow:

I can't find the original bridge - I stopped playing rock music in 1995, and forget if it was there. 5 of the original saddles seem to be on this hardtail bridge, which was screwed down - I do remember every book saying the JM/Jag bridge system went out of tune, didn't have sustain, etc, so I thought maybe here's a solution. I didn't know Mascis was using Tune-O-Matic bridges - I came up with a similiar solution on my own, it seems.

I also bought a pretty chunky Warmoth Strat neck for it, turning it into a JM with Jag body, sort of. I recall clearly driving up to their factory in Puyallup, Washington, to buy that thing. My brother, who kept playing this guitar and rock music in general, also reminded me I put a Fathead headstock plate on it, a big thing of brass that was supposed to increase sustain. Over the last couple of days I put everything back to normal, as far as I can - obviously the Schaller tuners aren't original; I can't find any Klusons - I never would have thrown something like that out. Trem-Lock has always been missing. I guess the neck plate was gone, too, but the body is penciled "2/62" - or "7/62" - in the trem cavity. I like the first one more! No more writing that I can find. And the neck was finished - on April Fool's Day. ::)

I think the neck needs shimmed, the action is too high, and there's a fearsome buzz that goes away when I touch the plates, so some kind of grounding issue needs fixed. Playing and sounding nice otherwise! All of this attention for offset axes is crazy, I was really flabbergasted when the world went nuts for Nirvana and people suddenly were paying big bucks for these things that were nothing more than curiosities before.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: My '62 Jag

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm

That is a slab rosewood neck, so definitely early 1962. I think they came out in late February or early March 1962.

Around May or June to July there was a transition rosewood neck that wasn’t quite a slab, but thicker than the veneer that came later. Mine is one of those, June 1962.

From your description it was most likely a sunburst.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Great looking guitar, and welcome to the forum!
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am

I thought the bigger headstock wasn’t until 1965? That looks oversized to me?

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Looks awesome. I know mine can't compare - but I got the curtis novak 62 'flat pole' pick ups because I primarily play surf and I love those flat pole pick ups. I can only imagine how insanely good real-deal ones sound.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Wil_66
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wil_66 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 pm

LucyR wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:13 am
I learned bass and then guitar in my mid 80s high school days; I was a fan of "alternative rock" or whatever it was called back then, including people like Tom Verlaine or J Mascis who used offset Fenders, but were super obscure; I liked Elvis Costello and the Cars too, not to mention the Ventures - all kinds of stuff has caught my fancy.

My guitar playing brother had a book with a title like "The Guitar Encyclopedia," pretty short but full of helpful info - I remember learning about chord shapes and the circle of fifths - and also lots of glossy photos, including pics of JMs, Jags, and other odds and ends Fender cranked out. Well, being a fan of music that didn't get much respect, I was immediately intrigued by these odd models. too Later we formed a band with a New Wave veteran from Boston who mostly played an early 60s JM, and also had an Electric XII - great guitar; when I found out the Velvet Underground guys played those I liked them even more.

I found this Jag in a Portland Oregon shop in 1989, for the princely sum of $200. Image

1962 Fender Jaguar - Album on Imgur A previous owner stripped the finish off, and I've always wondered what it originally was. There appears to be a bunch of black paint underneath the heel of the neck - maybe it was black? But you see a kind of gradated color in the cavity for the volume/tone knobs, so maybe it was a sunburst, which was stripped, painted, then the new finish was removed too? I've forgotten some of the details here. Maybe I stripped all the black paint off? It's been 30 years...I'm pretty certain the original tremolo arm was gone, leaving me with no qualms about bending the bajeezus out of the new one. :mellow:

I can't find the original bridge - I stopped playing rock music in 1995, and forget if it was there. 5 of the original saddles seem to be on this hardtail bridge, which was screwed down - I do remember every book saying the JM/Jag bridge system went out of tune, didn't have sustain, etc, so I thought maybe here's a solution. I didn't know Mascis was using Tune-O-Matic bridges - I came up with a similiar solution on my own, it seems.

I also bought a pretty chunky Warmoth Strat neck for it, turning it into a JM with Jag body, sort of. I recall clearly driving up to their factory in Puyallup, Washington, to buy that thing. My brother, who kept playing this guitar and rock music in general, also reminded me I put a Fathead headstock plate on it, a big thing of brass that was supposed to increase sustain. Over the last couple of days I put everything back to normal, as far as I can - obviously the Schaller tuners aren't original; I can't find any Klusons - I never would have thrown something like that out. Trem-Lock has always been missing. I guess the neck plate was gone, too, but the body is penciled "2/62" - or "7/62" - in the trem cavity. I like the first one more! No more writing that I can find. And the neck was finished - on April Fool's Day. ::)

I think the neck needs shimmed, the action is too high, and there's a fearsome buzz that goes away when I touch the plates, so some kind of grounding issue needs fixed. Playing and sounding nice otherwise! All of this attention for offset axes is crazy, I was really flabbergasted when the world went nuts for Nirvana and people suddenly were paying big bucks for these things that were nothing more than curiosities before.
Cool guitar! Do you remember which guitar shop in Portland? I'm kinda nostalgic for the shops that are gone now. I grew up in the late 90's- early 2000's going to shops like Premier Guitar, Guitar Crazy, Showcase, Apple Music, and the annual guitar show at the Marriott in Clackamas. Sorry if the name dropping is against the rules, but your thread is close to home and brought up a lot of fond memories!

LucyR
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by LucyR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi Wil_66, I found the Jag at Day's Music on 55th and Foster; they had a secondary shop across the street to sell guitars, the main store was in a renovated theater. A business called the "New Day Center for the Arts" is there now, and I think it's the same Day family which have been in business there for almost a century (!): Foster business owners 'reinvent' their business association | East PDX News.

I did all my shopping in holes in the walls, you'd get a bit of a frosty reception at some of those pricier stores. Guitar Crazy was a fun place, found goodies at Showcase sometimes too. Was watching a video of Lee Renaldo the other day and he mentioned finding something at Old Town Music, that place was cool. My favorite shop was Tombstone Music, owned by Fred and Toody Cole of Dead Moon. Great folks, had all sorts of crazy gear, and you could go in and make as much a racket as you wanted. I was shopping for an amp a while ago - I like jazz singers and had a bought a hollowbody Samick - thought I'd try Centaur Guitar, co-owned by Kelly Manahan, one of their employees. He remembered me - I hadn't seen him in 20 years or so! I found a Mosrite Ventures guitar at Tombstone - and a Mosrite 3/4 hollowbody bass. And a "Viera Twin" hollowbody 12 string electric - with a, get this, branded Bigsby whammy bar. Really cool way to immediately go out of tune! ::)

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am

LucyR wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:15 pm
And a "Viera Twin" hollowbody 12 string electric - with a, get this, branded Bigsby whammy bar. Really cool way to immediately go out of tune! ::)
Would love to see a picture of this if you have one? Anything next to ungoogleable, and old is probably gonna be up my street!

Wil_66
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wil_66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:25 am

LucyR wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:15 pm
Hi Wil_66, I found the Jag at Day's Music on 55th and Foster; they had a secondary shop across the street to sell guitars, the main store was in a renovated theater. A business called the "New Day Center for the Arts" is there now, and I think it's the same Day family which have been in business there for almost a century (!): Foster business owners 'reinvent' their business association | East PDX News.

I did all my shopping in holes in the walls, you'd get a bit of a frosty reception at some of those pricier stores. Guitar Crazy was a fun place, found goodies at Showcase sometimes too. Was watching a video of Lee Renaldo the other day and he mentioned finding something at Old Town Music, that place was cool. My favorite shop was Tombstone Music, owned by Fred and Toody Cole of Dead Moon. Great folks, had all sorts of crazy gear, and you could go in and make as much a racket as you wanted. I was shopping for an amp a while ago - I like jazz singers and had a bought a hollowbody Samick - thought I'd try Centaur Guitar, co-owned by Kelly Manahan, one of their employees. He remembered me - I hadn't seen him in 20 years or so! I found a Mosrite Ventures guitar at Tombstone - and a Mosrite 3/4 hollowbody bass. And a "Viera Twin" hollowbody 12 string electric - with a, get this, branded Bigsby whammy bar. Really cool way to immediately go out of tune! ::)
I forgot all about Day's Music... But now I remember playing an aluminum neck Kramer there and a 25th anniversary Strat in the original heavily checked finish. Thanks for your posts... It's an excellent distraction from current events.

LucyR
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by LucyR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 am

Viera Twin 12 String Hollowbody Electric, per request. Neat, eh?

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:49 am

LucyR wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 am
woah! That is *GLORIOUS*, thank you very much for the pics. I wondered if it might be American made, having a Bigsby on there, but the tuners and bridge look, perhaps Italian. Any idea where it was made? Suppose if I had to take a punt I'd say Argentina?

StrangeIdols
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StrangeIdols » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:51 am

LucyR wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 am

Honestly that might be one of the coolest vintage guitars I've ever seen, i didn't even know there were vibrstos for 12 strings, both that and the jag are brilliant!

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 am

True that guitar is cool but the 12 string Bigsby??? Thats wild

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:16 am

StrangeIdols wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:51 am

Honestly that might be one of the coolest vintage guitars I've ever seen, i didn't even know there were vibrstos for 12 strings, both that and the jag are brilliant!
There are quite a few sixties 12 strings with trems - Vox Phantoms for example, but not sure I've seen a 12 string Bigsby before, it's so cool!

Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acidhouse » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:17 am

Wow really nice couple of axes. $200 for the Jag? I often kick myself for not looking for a vintage guitar back then. Instead I was all about guitars that were shiny and pointy.