Verifying 62’ Jag

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
ceilingfan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Verifying 62’ Jag

Post by ceilingfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:44 am

Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a while.
Been bitten by the vintage bug and just cant help my self anymore.

This guitar listed is a refin, I've noticed one of the tuners has been replaced with one from 64ish and Ive asked for photos under the plate of which they are going to deliver. Unsure of non slab neck, the guard looks like its shrunk which is good.

Any ideas? Reckon its real?

https://reverb.com/item/32921803-1962-f ... ginal-case

What price should it be at?
Thanks for any advice

ceilingfan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Verifying 62’ Jag

Post by ceilingfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 am

https://postimg.cc/gallery/wHr3wm4

They are asking £2750 + cites + shipping

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am

well first I'd be surprised if Kings Road Emporium wasn't honest. Unlike, say, NoTom guitars.
As for the pics, it all looks good. Flat pole pickups, pickguard, slab board. All right. Not excessively expensive, either, bearing in mind it's for sale in Chelsea. It should sound excellent- flat poles in my experience are simply better than staggered pole pick ups. Personally though I'd always buy original finish. Anything else would annoy me.

Still, a reasonable priced rare and (probably) great sounding guitar. Nothing else around cheaper in Europe at the moment that I know of.

ceilingfan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ceilingfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks Frank,

You reckon its slab board?
To me it looks veneer and would make sense considering its late November. Im in Australia so i didn't know the rep that they have. Have you had experience or heard of them being genuine.

Thanks!

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 am

Oh, very nice Jag!
The pickguard: Is this original? Could even be a Spitfire? ...I don´t know..
Price is okay, not a cheapo of course.
Incl. case, good.
Looks great all in all :)
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:11 am

Oh sorry, you're right it's a veneer. Just means it was made after august 62. The pickguard looks original to me.
As for the shop, they always have top gear; aztec gold custom colours, etc. Never been, though, despite it only being about 5 miles away. Should be legit. I've never heard problems with it.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 am

if you're in AUS, have you seen this?
Better value, and closer (I think)

ceilingfan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ceilingfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm

I thought it may be a spitfire at first to. I mean it looks great regardless but alas hard to tell if its original besides the fact it has shrunk.
That sunburst is a neat option also similar price. What were the main differences between 62' and 63', i hate sunburst but i guess original paint job will hold its value more over the coming decades haha.

Ill see how the white one sounds after they send me some audio clips :) and go from there. Thanks for all your help guys so far.

kapepper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kapepper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:18 pm

ceilingfan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:44 am
Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a while.
Been bitten by the vintage bug and just cant help my self anymore.

This guitar listed is a refin, I've noticed one of the tuners has been replaced with one from 64ish and Ive asked for photos under the plate of which they are going to deliver. Unsure of non slab neck, the guard looks like its shrunk which is good.

Any ideas? Reckon its real?

https://reverb.com/item/32921803-1962-f ... ginal-case

What price should it be at?
Thanks for any advice
Feels like a bit expensive. I would go for the 63 sunburst

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Re local, not a lot of vintage jags around down here, but always a few around if you keep an eye on local websites (no affiliations) . eg ...
https://echotone.com.au/search?type=pro ... AND+jaguar*
http://www.vintageelectricguitars.com.a ... er-jaguar/
Saves hassles with shipping Brazilian rosewood internationally.
As with everywhere, be careful ... I've seen quite a few vintage jags and JMs here with newer bridges claimed as "all original hardware". Maybe they are consignment sales and the shop doesn't know their offsets that well. And I don't see many gut / neck end shots in local shop listings (maybe you can ask for them). Prices sometimes rational sometimes illogical, like everywhere.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:57 am

The PAT nos on the original post correspond to 1962
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:01 am

Looks very light blue on my screen...anyone seeing that?

Also the shop is very trustworthy, the owner Rick has been in the business since the early 80's with 100's of famous customers. He supplied Robert Smith with many guitars including the National Val-Pro 88 used in the disintegration era. He went out of his way to help me when I got ripped off on a '57 Strat years ago..inviting me down to the shop to strip it down and analyse it against another legit '57 Strat. He was instrumental in me getting my money back via trading standards.

It's also the shop that was selling Johnny Marr's gear in the mid 90's...including his '63 Sherwood Green Jaguar(back when he hated offset fenders) for £1400, that I should have bought :fp:

ceilingfan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ceilingfan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:53 am

@eggwheat

Ohh god you've made this an easy decision haha! Robert Smith and Marr D: that Sherwood green, i might just die day dreaming about the thought of owning such a thing.

To the post previous, yeah the pots check out and so does the neck as far as I'm concerned.

Glad to hear of all the reports of trust for their store. It was real good of them to so quickly take it apart to show me the inards.
It does have a slight blue hue in the listing photos, but in the other photos he sent me of it in pieces it seems to be more white and extremely checked. Maybe it was the lighting.

I reckon it is just a poor refinish but i don't know much about refinish history can anyone weigh in on that?
also
Anyone know about the wood on the back turning grey from buckle rash how does the grey hue happen?

Once they send me snippets of the guitar being played ill probs snag it if its decent (little buzz), with maybe a small try at getting it slightly cheaper any advice on how to drop the price it's currently 2750 pounds + cites + shipping. I've never been comfortable haggling nor do i like the premise of doing it but at such a high price a little knock off would be the seal the deal.

Thanks.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:07 am

I don't wish to be an antagonist but I just want to put an alternative view out there:

Went to look at their 2 B+B Jags about a year ago. I think one is a sunburst 66 which they still have and the other a sunbusrt 67.

I wanted the 66 but while it was listed with the original case they couldn't find it. Even after I left the shop and they had a root around. So they said I could have a case from one of their other guitars.

I also pointed out that the string tree was non-original and they offered to pull the string tree off the 67 to make it period correct which seemed dubious at best (and in the process would make 2 guitars non-original).

They also gave me some chat about this being a 70s Starcaster that had been customised, which I highly doubted. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Fender- ... cvip-panel

All this just pointed to them having some questions marks hanging over them that I personally couldn't get over.

I will add that it wasn't Rick that I dealt with but make of that what you will and good luck with your search whatever happens!

ceilingfan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ceilingfan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:12 am

Hey Simon,

That's not to good is it. Good to hear from both sides of the coin. I had my doubts about this guitar too, what's ur view reckon its real? I just want a players grade pretty much stock 1962 jag, couldn't care less about the refin.

Thanks