63 JazzMaster - neck stamp incomplete?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

63 JazzMaster - neck stamp incomplete?

Post by MotorBongo » Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 am

According to neck plate serial (96xxx), this refinished JazzMaster would be from 1963.

Neck stamp is pretty pale, but I think it reads 'DEC62B'. (see pic-link below)

https://imgur.com/xrwCn1R

So it's missing the preceeding Model Designation, which for a JM should be a '4', as I understood was used for 1962-1965.
Or wasn't this code always used?

Couldn't see any further markings in the neck-pocket, or on the neck-heel.

In case I'm misreading the stamp please tell, I've seen many pics, but this is my first live neck-removal.

Thanks! :)

PS
Looking at the 'mixed colours' in the neck pocket, could the original colour perhaps have been sunburst?
www.motorbongo.nl

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 63 JazzMaster - neck stamp incomplete?

Post by postchrist » Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 pm

looks like dec. 62 to me! which checks out with the serial, the neck stamp is usually more accurate for dating a guitar. that said, a dec. ‘62 stamp could be argued validly as either a ‘62 or a ‘63, not that it matters much.

and yes, was likely sunburst originally, and you never know but there may still be an original burst underneath.. if you’re curious, you can try carefully and slowly wet sanding under the pickguard and see what happens.

the dots on the neck are very interesting to me, would have originally been clay... that’s a mod i’ve never seen done to an old fender(at least not well)... very cool.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks for the response. OK, good to see the two indications agree. It's been a while I've been under the pickguard, can check pot-codes etc, and possibly for sunburst evidence.
So the missing code isn't that uncommon? Or must have been fully vanished.

Those position dots, nice you spotted that. A bit weird, but decently done. No idea what/when/why there, but the neck has had a rough life anyway, ...

some more pics here: https://imgur.com/yrD2zX6

... so it was possibly re-animated at some point, perhaps refretted, and possibly given those dots.
(I wish they had given the decal the same amount of attention, since that a bit messed up. ;) )

OK, at least this JM hasn't had those additional tuners as several of this period had ('Tielman 10 string') 8)

It actually amazes me how those darker spots on the neck have happened, but it plays lovely.

(When I bought it, the seller also had a 70s JM for sale but this 63 JM was clearly the nicer sounding & playing one)
www.motorbongo.nl

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 pm

the neck pocket looks how they looked in '62 before they went to the paint stick method for painting.

appears to be a sunburst '62 ;)
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Things are wrong with that neck. Fender slab boards ended around August '62 so Dec '62 is wrong for a slab as are the pearl dot materials. Need more pics to see it all but that is either a replacement non-original neck being passed off or one that was seriously messed with.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Sun May 17, 2020 12:38 am

lalalandstudios wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm
Things are wrong with that neck. Fender slab boards ended around August '62 so Dec '62 is wrong for a slab as are the pearl dot materials. Need more pics to see it all but that is either a replacement non-original neck being passed off or one that was seriously messed with.
oh good catch, i was not looking closely at all. i totally missed the missing dot on the last fret too. i had thought in passing that maybe a fretboard swap was a possibility. i’ve never encountered fake stamps on a jm neck, and this seems to tick all of the other boxes for originality(contours look right, closer pictures of decal could help determine whether it’s a refin) - i didn’t catch the slab board cutoff though so i might be rusty. could be faked i guess? but to go as far as getting the stamp right and to then completely fuck up the fb seems unlikely.

as far as value of the guitar goes it obviously doesn’t help but guitars develop weird issues that need addressing and nobody swaps a fretboard for fun. i’ve seen these dark spots on water-damaged guitars(flooded basements, etc.), which would probably mean a warped neck and could warrant a plane(lots of people mess up the fretboard taking it off anyways, and it’s a lot easier to right a slab/flat neck than a veneer). if that’s the case i kind of think it makes it a cooler piece but that’s just my take.

andrewaward
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewaward » Sun May 17, 2020 12:51 am

Everything is wrong with that neck, if its being passed off as original...……….stamps wrong, truss rod nut is wrong, dots are wrong, fretboard is wrong...……..

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Sun May 17, 2020 1:01 am

Looks like a genuine neck that's been water damaged, and had the veneer board planed off and replaced with a new rosewood slab. I'd guess the frets are jumbo, and the radius might be flatter than 7 1/4, possibly. Either way, a well done restoration. It's 57 years old, after all.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Sun May 17, 2020 1:06 am

FrankRay wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:01 am
Looks like a genuine neck that's been water damaged, and had the veneer board planed off and replaced with a new rosewood slab. I'd guess the frets are jumbo, and the radius might be flatter than 7 1/4, possibly. Either way, a well done restoration. It's 57 years old, after all.
bingo.

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 am

Thanks all for having a look at those pics, much appreciated and your info very insightful. :)

Fills in several gaps in my understanding of what this guitar will have faced in its life.
It's definitely a gorgeous playing guitar, so I'm 'neutrally feeling' about learning that there might have been replaced more than initially assumed.
For sure interesting!

OK, so if I understand it all correctly then:

> i've seen these dark spots on water-damaged guitars(flooded basements, etc.)

The dark spots on the neck & headstock by water damage... so originally the lacquer not totally sealing the neck?

The missing last position marker, so that definitely makes it a replacement fretboard.

In case the neck itself was replaced as well, and given a fake neck stamp, then they should have done their homework better and have stamped an earlier date.
So for now I guess it's most likely still the original neck. In addition, assuming all severe damage had come at once (requiring that fretboard replacement), they'd probably swapped the full neck, and be getting rid of the dark spots on the neck at the same time.
(Just guessing, it'd be cool if any old guitar came with a diary ...)

> closer pictures of decal could help determine whether it's a refin

The decal is 'harmed' (see upper pic of https://imgur.com/yrD2zX6 ), no idea if it is the original one with damage, or a sloppily applied replacement.
I can post a bigger picture.

> if that' s the case i kind of think it makes it a cooler piece but that's just my take.

I feel what you mean and feel alike. New guitars can be 'sterile', and this one, well, definitely has seen enough life :)

The greenish re-fin colour (I doubt it's actually a 'right' colour) and the ehh, 'character' (dark spots, & other signs of a long used & abused life) makes it definitely a love it or hate it guitar.
Back then arriving at the seller, and after having survived the shock of all this green and the spotted neck & headstock, then having to choose between this 60s JM, or a 70s JM (in sunburst, neckbinding, blocks) was not too difficult.

> Everything is wrong with that neck, ...stamps wrong,

If it's indeed a new fretboard (which we can conclude by the missing last dot) then the original fretboard can have been veneer, now flatted for a slab fretboard (thanks FrankRay) and the DEC62B stamp can still be correct, right?

> truss rod nut is wrong,

Curious to the truss rod, how should it have looked like?

>I'd guess the frets are jumbo, and the radius might be flatter than 7 1/4, possibly.

Feels indeed like it, but need to get me a measuring-template

> Either way, a well done restoration. It's 57 years old, after all.

Thanks again all for the observations and provided details, way more than I might have wished for. As said, it'd be great if its full history could be traced back, but all this here and derived conclusions tell already quite a lot. Thanks! :)

And I'd gladly post more pics. From memory, the body (apart from the re-fin) seems all fine inside: has the metal 'cups' (shielding), the pickguard shield, the pickguard itself is pulling the screws & shrinking like an old tort is expected to do etc ;) ::) (BTW, have been told it'd be wise to have it flattened again, to prevent breaking, but that's another topic of its own)

Bye
www.motorbongo.nl

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Sun May 17, 2020 8:32 am

Some added pics:

https://imgur.com/ut83oS4

decal, rear of headstock (tuners replaced?) and I've always been wondering about that switch-tip, looks a bit fatter than expected
www.motorbongo.nl

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 am

The decal looks fine to me, but you're right about the tuners. They should have a strip saying 'kluson' down the middle if they're original. I'd guess they were replaced after rusting.