Suggestions on what this might be worth

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
billboneys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Suggestions on what this might be worth

Post by billboneys » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:43 pm

This is a 1966 Duo Sonic II. I am condsidering selling it but I'm not sure what to ask for it. What I was told when I bought it was that it is all original minus the selector switches and the paint. From what I can tell the color looks right and the checking seems consistent with the time period but the paint looks thick and the neck pocket is wrong. Somehow the finish has been worn off the bottom and at some point someone clear coated the bare wood. I'm including images in hopes that someone might give me a fair starting price for selling this. I've done some research but the prices are all over the place. Thanks for any input or guidance.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Suggestions on what this might be worth

Post by jvin248 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:43 pm

General rule of thumb: a refin is worth half a comparable all-original model.
Refin plus routing hackery ... probably less. That's why prices you find are all over the place. Make sure you look at "sold listings" when going through old ebay/reverb listings. Many sellers list prices too high and sit on them indefinitely.

Looks like original, or at least very old, solder joints that were not subsequently modded.

Fun guitar.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:01 am

Duo Sonic IIs are one of my all time favorite Fenders. They're basically a more reliable Mustang with a different tone and feel.

They don't typically sell high though, even in good condition. I've seen ones in good condition sell from anywhere between 800-1200.
Reverb price guide suggests somewhat the same range of prices, although Reverb has a lot of bloated ads.

One sold on here not long ago for 950ish.

Forum member Panoramic has owned a few of them over the years. Maybe he will chime in.

Why not keep it? They're awesome.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 am

It's always the same with valuations -

1/ Search what you have on ebay and reverb, completely disregard the current listings they are polluted by pie in the sky dreamers asking 4x the going rate

2/ click 'sold items'

3/ Set to 'highest price first' so you aren't looking through a list of spare parts

4/ Ignore all the really clean ones at the higher end of prices

5/ Find ones that have sold that are in a similar state to yours, ignore the ones that sold for the most, keep on scrolling til you start seeing ones in worse condition than yours

6/ Pick a price in the middle of those two points

7/ Adjust a bit depending on where you live. EG This guitar is worth less in America where there are loads, than it is in Europe, where American guitars are less plentiful.

billboneys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by billboneys » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks guys. I'll take the suggestions. I may end up keeping it just not sure with everything that's going on right now. We'll see. Thanks.