..pssst...wanna buy a vintage offset?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ..pssst...wanna buy a vintage offset?

Post by whitewatersky » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:49 pm

yeah - I figured there'd be something positive going on there since he said in the video that they had given him the initial tip-off

nice guitar BTW :?

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 pm

zhivago wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:41 am
Some more info from the owner of the collection...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRtWWHvt5vw
I just saw this video last night and came to make sure OSG knew. I've read some great gear recovery stories on this forum over the years, hopefully more to come.

I had to put a lot of my gear into storage a few years ago and was always paranoid about theft, damage, or pests. Luckily it was only 10min away and I had 24-hour access, but it was still stressful and I would go there several times per month.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:29 pm

I too have had a vintage offset stolen and eventually returned a few months later, so there is always hope...I think the only real downside here is just the sheer number of missing guitars...how likely is it for the "small miracle" to occur 200 times? :(

I feel bad for the guy for sure...there's been TGP thread about this where some sinister theories have been voiced, but I don't buy them. :-/

I hope he recovers as many as possible.
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 am

Another, smaller, collection stolen! :wtf:

https://kion546.com/news/2021/06/09/nin ... vJgHbSN5LM

There's a cool Capri Ric in there...dream guitar for me!
Resident Spartan.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 am

Remind me never to put my guitars in a storage unit :o

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 am

gishuk wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 am

Or to let your insurance lapse because you got tired of spending a couple grand a year on your million-dollar collection.

That was brutal to hear. A few details from that interview make no sense to me, though. He said the unit had a big rat trap because "rats were getting in and apparently it wasn't a very good place."

If I owned a single one of those guitars, I'd be moving it the second I found out a rat got in. If I was living in a different city (or apparently country?) from that many amazing guitars, I'd have insurance on them. The idea that someone would leave a million dollars worth of wooden objects uninsured in a storage facility with a known rat problem just sounds off to me. He clearly had the money to take care of them properly. The interview actually made me feel much less sympathetic. He was visiting the unit regularly to "deposit a guitar or two" but lived elsewhere, had no insurance, and felt no need to move them somewhere without a rat problem?

None of that makes any sense. If they were a financial investment, you'd want to protect them from rat piss and being chewed on, and you'd want to insure them. If they had sentimental value, you'd...also want to protect them from rat piss and being chewed on.

Since none of this is sounding logical, it's making me think that this was more of a hoarding type of compulsion, where acquiring them was more important than caring for them.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 am

Yeah he mentioned he lives in Cabo (Mexico) in the interview.

I could feel the panic as he was telling the story but yeah, somehow I can't get myself to REALLY feel sorry for him. He was - even though he says he wasn't - just hoarding them, to make more money with them later. A LOT of money.

It's legal and all, yeah. But somehow... ???
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 am
Yeah he mentioned he lives in Cabo (Mexico) in the interview.

I could feel the panic as he was telling the story but yeah, somehow I can't get myself to REALLY feel sorry for him. He was - even though he says he wasn't - just hoarding them, to make more money with them later. A LOT of money.

It's legal and all, yeah. But somehow... ???
I feel sorry that his hard work and dedication to his own personal quest was stolen from him. I don't feel bad for him in general though as that fucker was dumb as hell to not insure them.

Plus, he was just long-term scalping. Which isn't cool. Guitars, houses, cars, whatever. If you're not going to actually PLAY them, let them live wild and free. Make your money through hard work instead - it's much more honourable
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:39 am

Exactly
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:49 am

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 am
gishuk wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 am

Or to let your insurance lapse because you got tired of spending a couple grand a year on your million-dollar collection.

That was brutal to hear. A few details from that interview make no sense to me, though. He said the unit had a big rat trap because "rats were getting in and apparently it wasn't a very good place."

If I owned a single one of those guitars, I'd be moving it the second I found out a rat got in. If I was living in a different city (or apparently country?) from that many amazing guitars, I'd have insurance on them. The idea that someone would leave a million dollars worth of wooden objects uninsured in a storage facility with a known rat problem just sounds off to me. He clearly had the money to take care of them properly. The interview actually made me feel much less sympathetic. He was visiting the unit regularly to "deposit a guitar or two" but lived elsewhere, had no insurance, and felt no need to move them somewhere without a rat problem?

None of that makes any sense. If they were a financial investment, you'd want to protect them from rat piss and being chewed on, and you'd want to insure them. If they had sentimental value, you'd...also want to protect them from rat piss and being chewed on.

Since none of this is sounding logical, it's making me think that this was more of a hoarding type of compulsion, where acquiring them was more important than caring for them.
I had the same thoughts when he mentioned rats too, thats a good point. Why would you let your gear sit in a room where you knew/had a good idea there was rats, regardless of value? Assuming you had an alternative and he really would have had.

And yeah, insurance. Actually made me think do I need that for the guitars I have.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:55 pm

gishuk wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:49 am
I had the same thoughts when he mentioned rats too, thats a good point. Why would you let your gear sit in a room where you knew/had a good idea there was rats, regardless of value? Assuming you had an alternative and he really would have had.
It sort of boggles the mind and gives the impression that he either was either so rich that $1M worth of guitars meant nothing, or so unwell that he didn't care about $1M worth of guitars even though the money actually meant something. Or is

Like, if someone said, "Hey Mike, your storage locker with [ANYTHING WORTH $1M] has got a rat problem," my reaction would be, "HOLY SHIT MY [ANYTHING WORTH $1M]! I'M ON IT AS SOON AS I CAN GET THERE!!"

Like, even if it was $1M worth of gold bars that couldn't be chewed or destroyed by rat piss, I'd be thinking, "I really don't want my [ANYTHING WORTH $1M] in the kind of place that would have rats. I want it in the kind of place where it's safe and protected." Not, "Ok, let's throw down a trap or two. It'll be fine."

But I dunno, maybe this is just my perspective as someone who doesn't have a semi-abandoned storage locker full of [ANYTHING WORTH $1M]?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 pm

It’s a bit unfair to make assumptions on this dude’s motivation or thinking. None of us are rational actors, especially when it comes to the important stuff. He got caught short.

It’s happened to me enough times. I forgot I didn’t have home insurance for 6 months & I’d had building work done during that time.

Getting anything stolen sucks, regardless of anyone being either a) an idiot b) a rich wanker, or c) terrible at life admin

I confess that my reaction was a & b, and that was pure jealousy that someone was hoarding things I covet.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 am

It's lame he's hoarding and collecting.. But as John Lennon says: He's not the only one. And he's been at it for awhile collecting. He had good foresight, at least. He seems to be pretty well off to have a million bucks of wood sitting unattended in another country... BUT - no one deserves to have their shit stolen. Jeff Bezos? Yeah. But some random old dude buying guitars, nah. He's taking it a lot better than I would.....
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:37 pm

zhivago wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 am
Another, smaller, collection stolen! :wtf:

https://kion546.com/news/2021/06/09/nin ... vJgHbSN5LM

There's a cool Capri Ric in there...dream guitar for me!
+1 on the Capri. Weird that both the Gretsch Country Clubs are missing their bridge and tailpiece.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:52 pm

Yeah not sure what the score is on the missing parts... ???
Resident Spartan.