So, I bought that Firebird-equipped Mustang on Reverb

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

So, I bought that Firebird-equipped Mustang on Reverb

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:46 pm

...and I don't think I'll regret it.

I haggled down to a decent price with Luigi over at Southside Guitars so thought I'd dip my toe in. I've had some good days at work and cleared out some old stuff around the house and made some money so I don't really have to worry about justifying the cost to myself.
It's gonna take a few weeks to get here as they have to get a CITES certificate to ship across the pond. No mad drama, it'll get here when it gets here.

If you hadn't seen it hanging around on Reverb for the last month then here it is:

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: So, I bought that Firebird-equipped Mustang on Reverb

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Wow wow wow 😻
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Congrats. I hadn't seen that but it's awesome. I love '64 A necks (have owned 4 total I think?) and I love firebirds in shortscale offsets. I've built two firebird-equipped Jags and would probably like a FB-equipped '64 Mustang even more.

Do you know what pickups are in it, and if they're proper firebirds? Firebird pickups are probably my single favourite design of the "OG" 50's-60's models. Nearly all of the advantages of Fender single coils with nearly all the advantages of Gibson humbuckers. Like filtertrons, they're criminally underappreciated compared to Fender single coils, PAFs or P90s.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:27 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:24 pm
Congrats. I hadn't seen that but it's awesome. I love '64 A necks (have owned 4 total I think?) and I love firebirds in shortscale offsets. I've built two firebird-equipped Jags and would probably like a FB-equipped '64 Mustang even more.

Do you know what pickups are in it, and if they're proper firebirds? Firebird pickups are probably my single favourite design of the "OG" 50's-60's models. Nearly all of the advantages of Fender single coils with nearly all the advantages of Gibson humbuckers. Like filtertrons, they're criminally underappreciated compared to Fender single coils, PAFs or P90s.
They're Duncan Antiquity Firebirds apparently, so not the old ones. I had a look online and they seem to be pretty well regarded - and damn expensive brand new too.

If it sounds rad enough then I might keep an eye for some 'real' ones to swap in. We'll see

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Oh, that's totally what I meant by "real!"

I just meant alnico bar polepieces with a ferrous baseplate. Sometimes people stick mini-PAFs in no-hole covers, but those are fundamentally differently built and sound completely distinct from Firebirds.

Two thirds of Duncan's own Firebird models are that way, in fact, but the Antiquities are properly made. You just have to watch out for feedback, as the Antiquities are notoriously microphonic. Firebird pickups don't generally need to be fully potted - a dab of wax on top to keep the small steel plate under the B string stuck to both the top of the bobbins and the bottom of the cover will generally do it, but that little loose plate between the magnets and the cover can be a real issue at high SPL or high gain.

If you find yours too microphonic, just know that it can be easily solved by anyone who is comfortable taking a pickup apart and reassembling it. You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water and replace them completely.

You can see the little plate most commonly responsible for this in this exploded view:

A lot of winders will just omit it so they can get away with no or minimal potting, but it's part of the magnetic circuit that makes vintage Firebirds so distinctive. Kind of like the ferrous Jaguar claw, whose function and impact is debated to this day and is sometimes substituted for a nonferrous one, only even fewer people care about debating vintage accuracy of Firebird pickups. You only ever see a small fraction of pickup winders mention it, and even fewer players. I've actually had issues with the unwound strings being underpowered if that plate is omitted, so I'm in the camp that believes it's there for a reason. Fender and Gibson really knew what they were doing back then and it's too deliberate a design element to have been truly unnecessary.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Hell yeah!

I'm so glad an OSGer got this Mustang. It is too damn cool, and I'm surprised it was on the market that long. Congrats on scooping up one of the coolest guitars this year.

Alnico Firebird pickups are amazing, they sound really great clean and overdriven. Nice idea on a Mustang, for sure.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Agreed on the pickups, and it's absurd to me how wrong Gibson got it when they switched Firebird pickups to ceramic magnets. The distinct tone of the Firebird is totally lost with a ceramic pickup.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:21 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Two thirds of Duncan's own Firebird models are that way, in fact, but the Antiquities are properly made. You just have to watch out for feedback, as the Antiquities are notoriously microphonic. Firebird pickups don't generally need to be fully potted - a dab of wax on top to keep the small steel plate under the B string stuck to both the top of the bobbins and the bottom of the cover will generally do it, but that little loose plate between the magnets and the cover can be a real issue at high SPL or high gain.

If you find yours too microphonic, just know that it can be easily solved by anyone who is comfortable taking a pickup apart and reassembling it. You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water and replace them completely.

Would you say that's an achievable task for someone confident with a soldering iron & general electronics/engineering? Or a high chance of fucking things up?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 pm
Hell yeah!

I'm so glad an OSGer got this Mustang. It is too damn cool, and I'm surprised it was on the market that long. Congrats on scooping up one of the coolest guitars this year.

Alnico Firebird pickups are amazing, they sound really great clean and overdriven. Nice idea on a Mustang, for sure.
hah! Yeah, I thought I'd bring it into the fold. Of all the places most likely to appreciate this it would definitely be in here. Now there's just the agonising wait for CITES processing and shipping :whistle:

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:07 pm

Oh God yes! I had that one on my watching list, ever since they posted it. But the price, A-neck and shipping just made it impossible. And I have a "strange feeling" kinda resentment towards that shop... (long story)

I would/will love to build a clone of that, though... Someday! :-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:15 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:07 pm
Oh God yes! I had that one on my watching list, ever since they posted it. But the price, A-neck and shipping just made it impossible. And I have a "strange feeling" kinda resentment towards that shop... (long story)

I would/will love to build a clone of that, though... Someday! :-*
Yeah, the price was a little excessive - but not hugely out of whack for a pre-CBS with modifications. I watched it for a solid month and thought, if it makes it past the 4-week mark unsold then I'd throw a cheeky lowball. We ended up meeting somewhere in the middle which I was happy with (about £1200) considering the current guitar climate. I wont pry as to your 'resentment' but I'm sure it's founded considering how long you've been buying & selling old stuff. Fingers crossed it all goes smooth enough for me

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:24 am

That thing is so freaking cool. Have fun with it!

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:16 am

That looks insanely fun!

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 am

Holy crow, that's cool! My first Fender was a Dakota Red '64 Mustang with full-sized T-tops, so these photos give me all the feels. It looks amazing. Congratulations!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 am

WOW!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Congrats and welcome to the '64 Mustang club!!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.