Questions about Univox Hi-Fliers

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Dee_thirteen
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Questions about Univox Hi-Fliers

Post by Dee_thirteen » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 pm

I have some questions about Univox Hi-Fliers.
Wiki says:
The Hi-Flier went through many changes, generally divided into four "phases." --- These very early Hi-Fliers are distinctly different from later models, having thicker bodies and necks,
Exactly what models have thinner necks then? Does it mean Phase 2-4 are thinner than P1 or what? And if there are differences, what Phase has the thinnest one? Are Phase 3-4 all same weight?
Are Univox frets/fret gaps smaller than normally, like Mosrite has?
What size pickups did Phase 1-2 have? (I'm mainly interested in what kind of humbucker I could fit in there)

thanks in advance.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Questions about Univox Hi-Fliers

Post by Highnumbers » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 am

Lots of questions!

Way back (15-20 years ago) I was really into Hi Fliers and went through probably 40 of these (back when they were super cheap), including all four phases.

In my experience, the necks are a little chunkier on the Phase 1 models (and the bodies are thicker on the early Phase 1 models as well) but this is almost exclusive to the earliest phase 1 models -- the first version with white MOP pickguards, rocker switches, "bar type" string tree, larger inlays etc. Even later Phase 1 models with the tortoise pickguard (sometimes with a "Univox Custom" badge on the headstock) don't usually have the chunky neck.

Phase 2-4 generally all have the same slim neck profile. All of these guitars are incredibly lightweight, so it's hard to determine which one is lightest.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fret gaps" but the Univox had larger frets than a real Mosrite. They weren't jumbo frets by any means, but more like standard Fender size wire.

Any humbucker fits in the cavity of a Phase 1-2 model, but you need to rig some kind of system to mount the humbucker in the soapbar pickup ring (Cobain style). Personally I was always into restoring these guitars, not modifying them.

Of all the variations, the Phase 1 is by far my favorite. Those single-coil pickups sound great, the rocker switches are quirky and I like the thicker necks. But the humbuckers on Phase 3-4 models are glorious sounding. Really excellent pickups that would be worth the price of admission alone.

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:11 am

Dee_thirteen wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Exactly what models have thinner necks then?
My experience is that the earlier models have the thinner necks - I've never tried a legit Phase 1 with the rocker switches but the Phase 2s and early Phase 3s (before the neck plate switches from "Made In Japan" to the larger "U" logo design) have skinny necks and then at some point the later Phase 3s got a little chubbier necks which carried through into the final Phase 4. I say "a little chubbier" but they're still small for most players.
Dee_thirteen wrote:
Does it mean Phase 2-4 are thinner than P1 or what? And if there are differences, what Phase has the thinnest one? Are Phase 3-4 all same weight?
The bodies all feel the same size to me from the ones I've played and owned. The later Phase 3s and 4s seem to be made from a different wood - you can see nicer wood grain and they feel noticeably heavier. But, again, relatively speaking they're all lightweight guitars.
Dee_thirteen wrote:
Are Univox frets/fret gaps smaller than normally, like Mosrite has?
They're low and skinny but not as extreme and 'fretless' as a Mosrite. I have a Mosrite MkV and the frets are way smaller/lower/thinner than the Univoxes.
Dee_thirteen wrote:
What size pickups did Phase 1-2 have? (I'm mainly interested in what kind of humbucker I could fit in there)
As said above you can slot a standard humbucker in the Phase 1/2 P90 slot. The later Phase 3s and 4s humbuckers can be switched out for standard sizes too but beware of the mounting ring as they have 2 height adjustment screw holes on one side and only one on the other so a pickup swap requires the mounting rings to be changed too. Also - my personal opinion - you'd be insane to switch the pickups on either type of Hi Flier. They sound incredible.

There's a thread about Hi Fliers with lots of useful info about switching parts here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84397

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 am

To the point above — I should clarify again that only the VERY earliest Hi Fliers had the thicker bodies (1/8” thicker or so) and fatter necks.

These were made around 1968 and are identified by having white MOP pickguards and truss rod covers. You can’t go by the rocker switches alone because later Phase 1s (including the type with red tort guards) already have the thinner bodies and slim necks.

The best Hi Flier I ever had was one of the super early ‘68 models, wonderful player and I kick myself for selling it ages ago.

Braunzo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Braunzo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:45 pm

The Hi-Flier I had sounded super awesome but man it was it a hard guitar to play. The neck and the neck joint were so thin that it was hard to play in tune. I kind of wish I still had it but it wasn't a practical guitar by any means.

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:48 am

Braunzo wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:45 pm
The Hi-Flier I had sounded super awesome but man it was it a hard guitar to play. The neck and the neck joint were so thin that it was hard to play in tune. I kind of wish I still had it but it wasn't a practical guitar by any means.
The earlier Phase 1 and 2 HFs (and some early Phase 3s) had a really narrow neck plate on them ("Made In Japan") and my experience of these guitars over the years has shown that it doesn't really hold the neck that well. Sometime in the Phase 3 run they switched to a larger version (with a "U" Univox logo) that anchored the neck better.
A lot of the tuning issues people talk about are because the necks get bashed a little off-centre over the years so as you go up the fretboard it all gets a bit jazz. They *are* Marmite guitars in that some people pick them up and immediately feel at home whereas others are almost freaked out by the feel of them but a lot of the tuning issues people talk about are the necks being a little off-centre.
Next time you see one on EBay or Reverb have a look how the E strings line up on the neck - I'd guess 1 in 3 are wonky.

I use my HFs for *everything* and when they're sorted they're reliable and really versatile guitars (and basses)