Incoming NGD: 1965 Fender Jazzmaster!

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD: 1965 Fender Jazzmaster!

Post by DeathJag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:38 am

MotherFUCKER! That sux! Reverb should ban them.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:55 am

Reverb's terms and conditions specify that a completed listing is a binding contract. They moment they took money for the offer they accepted, they're on the hook. Granted, Reverb doesn't have any authority to compel them to give you this guitar, but experiences like this undermine the whole platform, and Reverb at least pretends to take it pretty seriously. You can (and probably should) report this.

Looking through some of the seller's feedback, even some of the positive 5-stars contain complaints and criticism about this guy.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:07 am

Even ignoring the total breach of Reverb rules, the disappointment from something like this is unreal.

Last year I pulled the trigger on one of my bucket-list dream instruments that finally showed up on Reverb. Did the "Buy It Now," paid, and spent the rest of the day floating on the anticipation. I told my wife and my bandmates and I haven't been so excited about a new guitar since I was a teenager. I came home later to a notification from Reverb saying my money had been refunded, and a message from the seller saying they changed their mind and decided not to sell after all.

It hurt way more than it should've.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am

That smells like a whole load of bullshit and a fake business partner to me

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:49 am

Yeah - This is BS. Someone - somewhere at that shop saw that deal and went nope.

Curious though that the tracking info was "current" If they double sold it then that should be a major strike against the shop.

In any event - I agree that you should go to reverb and lodge a complaint against the shop so its on record.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:54 am

That really stinks.

Reverb is dropping the ball when it comes to vintage instruments and small/private sellers.

They could be taking a more active role in authenticating instruments, facilitating returns, etc… and making some money in the process.

marginwalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marginwalker » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 am

Oh yes I will definitely be taking this up with Reverb to get him booted from the platform, and possibly see if they can IP ban him from every device he uses the app/website from so that this won’t happen again to someone.

I asked my supervisor to look into this and it turns out the package that he sent in the mail weighed 14oz and cost just under $4 to ship lol. I’ll definitely be contacting the postal inspectors and see if they can get him for felony mail fraud

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:39 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:54 am
That really stinks.

Reverb is dropping the ball when it comes to vintage instruments and small/private sellers.

They could be taking a more active role in authenticating instruments, facilitating returns, etc… and making some money in the process.
Completely agree, but we all know this would never happen in a million years even though they have the resources to do so

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Sic the postal inspectors on the bastard!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pm

The seller(s) likely had second thoughts, although it's also possible that it simply sold.

I completely understand the (devastating!) disappointment, but it's all part and parcel with person-to-person sales. If he canceled the sale / refunded the money promptly, the platform probably won't do anything about it unfortunately. I'd guess that with a refund, you are made whole in their eyes. Sending a wrong package to you isn't a crime afaik if they aren't billing you for the actual guitar. The seller's shop/profile should be put in the ebay hall of shame section.

The mental ownership (and loss) is another issue, but one that Reverb/Etsy probably doesn't care about.

That said, what an absolute drag. So, so sorry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm

That's such a freaking bummer, man.

People suck.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

marginwalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marginwalker » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pm
The seller(s) likely had second thoughts, although it's also possible that it simply sold.

I completely understand the (devastating!) disappointment, but it's all part and parcel with person-to-person sales. If he canceled the sale / refunded the money promptly, the platform probably won't do anything about it unfortunately. I'd guess that with a refund, you are made whole in their eyes. Sending a wrong package to you isn't a crime afaik if they aren't billing you for the actual guitar. The seller's shop/profile should be put in the ebay hall of shame section.

The mental ownership (and loss) is another issue, but one that Reverb/Etsy probably doesn't care about.

Regardless of whether the guitar sold locally or if he had second thoughts he had between 7pm and 1pm the next day to issue me the refund. Instead, he waited til the day the fraudulent package was going to be delivered (5 days later) to do it. That seems incredibly dishonest and sketchy

The fact is that he used a postage label that contained size and weight information about an item that weighed less than a pound and could fit into a small box, as well as someone else’s name and address, in order to receive the money I paid to him ($3500 minus Reverb fees) that was specifically tied to a completed transaction between us for the 65 Jazzmaster. Even though he refunded me the money that still constitutes mail theft/fraud in the eyes of the law

marginwalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marginwalker » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:40 pm

graceless wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:39 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:54 am
That really stinks.

Completely agree, but we all know this would never happen in a million years even though they have the resources to do so
Sadly you’re probably right. I wonder if they’ll take it more seriously since I’ll have postal inspectors involved?

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:14 pm

I’m confused about what the guy had to gain by mailing something?

Also. Stuff like this stings. But, I don’t think it will do you any favors by righting this on your own. In the long run, it was either intentionally done or just carelessness. It will probably be unhealthy to ruminate on it too much. Main thing is that you did get re-imbursed And you still have a whole lot of money to put on a nice JM. When the right one comes you’ll be so glad.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:00 pm

marginwalker wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm
cestlamort wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pm

Regardless of whether the guitar sold locally or if he had second thoughts he had between 7pm and 1pm the next day to issue me the refund. Instead, he waited til the day the fraudulent package was going to be delivered (5 days later) to do it. That seems incredibly dishonest and sketchy

The fact is that he used a postage label that contained size and weight information about an item that weighed less than a pound and could fit into a small box, as well as someone else’s name and address, in order to receive the money I paid to him ($3500 minus Reverb fees) that was specifically tied to a completed transaction between us for the 65 Jazzmaster. Even though he refunded me the money that still constitutes mail theft/fraud in the eyes of the law
Sorry - I hadn’t caught that. Using the shipping label to release the funds is something else.