Anyone have any info in Teisco Tele-stars?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Alex!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone have any info in Teisco Tele-stars?

Post by Alex! » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 am

I just got one without hardware from a buddy who found it in a abandoned factory in Charleston (wv) and I have no clue on what it is
2 lovers in a twine, pass me by, and heaven knows I’m miserable now- Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now, The Smiths, Louder than Bombs, 1987

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Anyone have any info in Teisco Tele-stars?

Post by ohm-men » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:03 pm

They came in a wide variety hardware. Most had the so called "top 20" pick ups (middle pu on Robert Smith's Jazzmaster from the early "The Cure" Days)

These were very cheaply produced guitars. Most/all of them have plywood bodies, thick Natoi/asian Mahogany necks with an almost flat radius and thick wide frets. (I remeber I could not play past the 12th fret as I could not put /press my fingers on the fretboard as there wasn't enough space to put 'em ;D (also partly due to the very high action on these, which could not be adjusted....)

Very low quality hardware and the pu's are very microphonic. Athough, part of the charm of these guitars.
Depending on the year they were made (early/mid 60's) they come with or without a truss rod (hence the über thick necks on some....)
The ones I had, looked the same, but had different scale lenghts. 24.75 and 24". For the rest they looked identical.
Here in Europe, (low lands) they were sold via mailorder catalogue and came with various brand names or no brand name at all... (all the same Teisco guitars), I had one with "Gracia" printed on the headstock and the other had no brand.

There is a guy I met a few times (called lord bizzare?) who collects these. He must have a web site (very old Skool)
He has a huge collection of 60's and 70's Japanese and European made guitars. Pretty crazzy...
I e-mailed him a few times and he usually answers. He knows all about these guitars...

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have any info in Teisco Tele-stars?

Post by B » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:57 am

The necks are surprisingly solid and have a great feel to me, but as mentioned the hardware, wiring, pickups are all laughable quality. Like REAL bad.

I tore all of it out, used the stock pickup covers/holders (which are like large, tall Strat covers) and very carefully and cleverly fit some Jaguar pickups into this one (1967 gold sparkle) so it still looked stock. Redid all the wiring, etc… It was kinda cool.

Basically they’re awesome looking guitars that are total trash quality and need to be rebuilt into something to be even semi playable.
] Image