Vintage Heresy: FRANKEN-TELE XII

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vintage Heresy: FRANKEN-TELE XII

Post by mongoose » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I guess I'll post this under "VINTAGE" since the neck in question indeed fits that description. I'll start a new thread under "MODS AND PROJECTS" later... :ph34r:

So today, for a small sum of cash, a bag of old silver coins I picked out of circulation over the past few years (I'm in vending), and my old wedding band (good riddance); I bought someone's half-assed attempt at lutherie from a local pawnshop.

Call it the Franken-Tele XII if you like. It appeared to be a 70's Telecaster body mated to a late 60's Villager XII neck. I only really cared about the neck, since I wanted it for a soon-to-commence future build I'm doing with Andrew(doeshair).

The neck pocket was clearly FUBAR in the process of fitting the neck, evident even before disassembly.

The neck itself seemed to be intact. There was no neck plate, just bolts holding it on.

I assumed the body was actually from an old Squier, since it was a top-loader (which I hadn't noticed initially). To accommodate the extra strings, the moron, er, "luthier" simply drilled 6 holes through the back of the body- no ferrules.

The string balls had of course lodged themselves in the wood, not surprising given the fact that he had strung the thing up with heavy-gauge ACOUSTIC strings.

So I began the process of tearing the beast down. I removed the neck, which does not have a date stamp. It does have a small ink stamp and a large "77" pressed into the back.

Sure enough, the neck pocket is destroyed. I'm no builder myself, but I'd assume you'd have to glue in a block of wood and re-route a proper pocket in order to make this body usable at this point. People never cease to piss me off... >:(

By the way, I had posted a thread earlier asking about the possibility of an unstamped Fender WRHB. I needn't have bothered- it isn't Fender at all. The pickup is clearly labeled on the back "MAXON." I haven't removed the bridge pickup yet for inspection. Who knows- these pickups could sound great for all I know.

OK, so a practical question- since I'm using this neck for a 6-string, and would like to recoup some of my dough... what should I do tuner-wise?

Specifically, what is more saleable/valuable on the vintage market; 6 right-hand "F" tuners, or 6 left-hand? Would anybody even have a use for 3 of each if I wanted to use the bottom 6? Straight string pull isn't even an issue since they'll be traveling through that big-ass retainer.

I'll be sure to start a pic- heavy post when the build commences. No details as of yet (gotta keep up some suspense!), but here's a clue: we're calling it CBS' GREATEST MISSES!
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Re: Vintage Heresy: FRANKEN-TELE XII

Post by Stereordinary » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Cool beans! Too bad the body is so butchered and that it doesn't appear to be much more than a Japanese copy, but that neck sure is nice!

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Wow - people are so crazy. I love weird stuff like this, though. :)

Those Maxon pickups can be pretty cool - I have an Ibanez Tele Deluxe copy with fake WRHBs just like the one in your photo, and they sound awesome (to me, at least). They're regular HB size unlike the WRHBs. In fact, the wiring and routes I can see in your photos look a lot like the interior of my Ibanez - so maybe that's what the body is.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Cool find! The F keys are worth maybe $10-20 each as singles and you should have no problem selling them that way. Those things are pretty crummy and folks like to buy one here and there to replace bad keys on a guitar they're restoring or playing.

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:22 am

Jay wrote:Cool find! The F keys are worth maybe $10-20 each as singles and you should have no problem selling them that way. Those things are pretty crummy and folks like to buy one here and there to replace bad keys on a guitar they're restoring or playing.
Hmmm... makes me wonder if I should dump the lot and buy a set of good-quality Klusons?
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 am

Well, the good news is you need six but have twelve to choose from. You could pick out the nicest ones, clean and re-grease them and probably have a solid go with those. Plus they'll look period correct with your neck. On the other hand, a new set of Klusons is less work and probably a little cheaper considering you could sell the two sets whole somewhere around $100/ea give or take.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am

umm... i might have use for that pickguard, if you're ever wanting to throw it out... :ph34r:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Jay wrote:Well, the good news is you need six but have twelve to choose from. You could pick out the nicest ones, clean and re-grease them and probably have a solid go with those. Plus they'll look period correct with your neck. On the other hand, a new set of Klusons is less work and probably a little cheaper considering you could sell the two sets whole somewhere around $100/ea give or take.
That's great news. I'm into this thing for less than the value of the machine heads!

What's the proper procedure for a clean & re-grease on these? What cleaner, what kind of grease (3-in-1 oil? white grease?)?

And in the interest of play/tune-ability; what's the best placement for the tuners? Obviously I have have twelve spots to choose from... ideally I'd want as straight a pull as possible, and I'd really like to lose the retainer if that's feasible (?). If it has to stay, that's ok too.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Take them apart (they typically come apart pretty easily) and soak them in some WD40. You can then use a toothbrush and maybe even some dish detergent to get any leftover grease out. Get them REALLY dry quickly—a hair dryer may help and then apply a liberal coating of lithium grease. At least that's what I used. Someone else may have another/better suggestion however.

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Jay wrote:Take them apart (they typically come apart pretty easily) and soak them in some WD40. You can then use a toothbrush and maybe even some dish detergent to get any leftover grease out. Get them REALLY dry quickly—a hair dryer may help and then apply a liberal coating of lithium grease. At least that's what I used. Someone else may have another/better suggestion however.
Sounds like a great plan to me. I'll pick up the grease tomorrow, and then I'm on it.

There's no hurry to get this neck to Andrew anyway; he's on OSG sabbatical, and we haven't gone beyond the planning/ procuring stage yet.

hikikomori
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hikikomori » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:12 pm

that looks like the body of a 72 tele deluxe custom i been gasing for.....but great score for the neck, and kudos for restoring it into the hands of a loving owner
Kaiwasoyokaze - Analogue in Busan
http://kaiwasoyokaze.tumblr.com/

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 am

hikikomori wrote:that looks like the body of a 72 tele deluxe custom i been gasing for.....
Shame they had to trash that body- it really looks like it was a quality piece (Ibanez?).
hikikomori wrote:...but great score for the neck, and kudos for restoring it into the hands of a loving owner
Oh, just you wait! :ph34r: