Thought processes of a vandal.

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Thought processes of a vandal.

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm

Someone please stop this complete fool ..
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Thought processes of a vandal.

Post by fullerplast » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:59 pm

They look the same to me
Didn't he notice the binding?
Q. Are we not men?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:30 pm

He's supposedly a Czech guy - I'll take care of him!  >:(
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:38 pm

That's pretty pathetic,

your loyal fender player,

i love sharin foo.
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:13 pm

totaly man...I just cannot believe this...he goes to a Jazzmaster/Jag forum and asks us if it's ok to use the neck on a $trat! :(
Resident Spartan.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:10 pm

The thing that bugs me about this is that Jazzmaster necks are NOT identical to old Stratocaster necks, the headstock shape was different from 1958-1968ish, it had more of a curve on that little "flange" on the bottom where the Fender Logo is, a bit more "stylized" (it's hard for me to describe", also, plus Jazzmasters were the only models to officially have blocks * binding on a neck that close to the Strat design.

The final blow is that Jazzmasters are hard as crap to find as it is, both vintage and reissue.  Shoot, I'm having a b**** of a time finding a reissue Jazzmaster  at a decent price, I'm talking the MIJ/CIJ variety, and there's some moron on E-bay parting THOSE out.  I'm with mezcalhead, Leave the poor Jazzy's alone.
It's Me

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I think this is the neck he's referring to .. there were messages down the bottom including one asking about shipping to the Czech Republic, but I can't see them now.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:56 pm

i hope he can´t afford it. if you´re going to have a non original neck on your strat, why not get one that is actually a strat neck? i don´t get these people.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 am

The seller wrote that the reserve is $800. Hopefully that will scare some poachers off - but then again when the game is about money, there's a reason why we call then $trat$...
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:58 am

One of the other questions in that auction:

Q: Hi. I have a 66 Mustang and my trem goes out of tune at odd times when tuning other strings. I want to try a Musicaster bridge and not alter the holes. Do you have a Musicaster tailpiece?  :o  *sound of mjet260 smacking his own forehead*

A: It sounds to me that the trem is not adjusted properly. A Musicmaster tail piece will not screw right on, and you would have to drill holes. Here is a easy adjustment you can do to lock the trem so it does not move at all. There are 2 allen adjustment screws on the trem inertia bar, that you can turn to tighten the bar ALL the way down. This will keep it from moving at all. Then instead of running the strings through the holes in it towards the back of the guitar, and then going under it to come foward, just run the strings through it like a Gibson stop tail. A very easy (and CHEAP!!)fix, that you do not have to do any mods and works very well! Thanks, Rob

At least the seller is smarter than the potential bidder.

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:21 am

I dont see why someone would want to do that.
Behold, THE WIZARD

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm not a fan of people butchering vintage Jazzmaster necks to put on Strats by any means.  However, if they keep it unmolested (ie don't cut down the headstock) and if they don't try to pass it off as an original Strat neck, then there's not a whole lot I can say about it.  It's frustrating, for sure, and it's definitely got to be pushing up prices on JM necks and decreasing their availability, but basically, if someone manages to shell out the cash then its tough shit for me, no matter what guitar that neck goes on.

At least the bound necks are relatively safe, as it's pretty tough to pass one of those off as original Strat parts.  Let's just be glad that there's not a lot of people wanting to copy Joe Messina from Motown/The Funk Brothers - he had a blocks/binding Jazzmaster neck on his Tele!
Last edited by flatfiver on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance