Do Block & Bound boards have "binding nibs"?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Jazzmaster_G

Re: Do Block & Bound boards have "binding nibs"?

Post by Jazzmaster_G » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks Phil. It's hard to believe that a labour-intensive method of installing binding and fretting survived the CBS mass production phase of the late 1970's, isn't it? Not that JM was mass-produced at that time, but they could have knocked out another whole Strat neck in the time it took to do that binding!

Is your '78 a sunburst? I've never seen a JM from the second half of the 70's that wasn't... could you even get a custom colour at that time? (Please don't say "Capri Orange", "Sahara Taupe", or "Antigua"...). An Antigua JM, including the pickguard: now's there's a custom build challenge! Something about that Antigua colour always made me wanted to vomit... it was probably the colour. It looks like it would smell bad.

philmanatee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by philmanatee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:15 am

It's a sunburst with a heavy ash body, the contouring is minimal compared to my other two. I posted a picture a year ago of all three. It's got a molded case too and black pickguard with black trem tip and black strat style knobs. Phil

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:45 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 pm
Jazzmaster_G wrote:Pete's Rare Guitars was busted in Guitar Australia magazine by Ian Moss - Pete's claimed to have Ian's 63 Fiesta Red Strat (at $35k, for a REFIN!). Ian said it was impossible, because the headstock had broken off and he still had it! 6 weeks after that mag came out, and it is STILL for sale on his website. Not good.
:mellow: <- This is me looking totally unsurprised by that story.
speaking of Ian Moss & Fender necks - check the pics of Mossy's old Strat neck at the bottom of this page:
https://fryerguitars.com/ian-moss/

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:42 am

Wow - what a used and abused guitar. Must have been one-too-many changes in tuners that ripped the headstock off :P