Voice Guitars (1960's Japanese Jaguar/Jazzmaster copy)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
sleepkid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Voice Guitars (1960's Japanese Jaguar/Jazzmaster copy)

Post by sleepkid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:07 am

As anyone who has seen my thread on the Mory Jazzmasters knows, I am really into documenting the Japanese Jazzmaster/Jaguar clones that I come across and work on, and after a long search I finally had a chance to pick up a Voice Frontier 1000. Not only that, I even got to meet the man who made them. So I thought I would share. This is an edit of a post I made on another forum, so there may be some continuity issues, but it should still be of interest to all lovers of offset guitars.

---
c. 1966 Voice Frontier Custom 1000

c. 1966 Voice Frontier Custom 1000

Voice Frontier 1000 headstock. The logo is flaking away. This is a common problem with the early Elk logos as well. I believe it has something to do with the type of sticker/seal backing reacting to the lacquer.

I was able to arrange for a second meeting with Iwase-san, the man who invented/made/was Iwase Desnhi - the company that made Voice Amps and Guitars. It was a great honour to meet him a second time, and this time I brought along the Voice Guitar which I had found and put back into playable condition to show him and ask him about it. Such a great guy, and so sharp and active, friendly and full of life. I thought it would be nice to do a little background on him and the guitar and shed some light on an obscure part of guitar history. I recorded an hour and a half of interview with him, but am just going to give some of the highlights.

Iwase-san holding the Voice Frontier 1000 that he built in 1966.

Iwase-san was born in what is now known as Shinagawa, Tokyo. He was born in 1931 (making him 84 years old at the time of this writing - I was previously under the mis-impression that he was actually 90.) He didn't finish high school because his class was disbanded due to an outbreak of tuberculosis (a serious health issue in pre-war Japan).

During the 1950s he joined Teisco, and produced amp and guitar designs for them, including a shifting bridge which allowed a pedal steel guitar player to switch between three different tunings with the flick of a lever. He left Teisco in 1963/64 (shortly before the Tokyo Olympics) after he felt the company was taking a wrong direction.

He formed Iwase Desnhi (Iwase Electric) in 1965 and began producing amplifiers, and on a limited basis, guitars.

Iwase Denshi Sign

Unfortunately, he formed his own company just as the first electric guitar boom was beginning it's decline, and he ran his company on a very limited basis out of his house. While his amps and guitars were very well received, including appearing on the cover of some Terauchi Takeshi records, there wasn't enough demand, and he quit the guitar business in roughly 1970 and went on to work on Ultrasounds.

Iwase-san in front of the house where he built Voice Electric Guitars. Most of the neighbouring houses have already been torn down to make a new roadway for the Tokyo Olympics. Iwase-san's house will be torn down at the start of next year.

While the amplifiers were actually assembled in a separate factory (and produced in greater numbers, though still very rare), The Voice guitars were made by hand by Iwase himself at his house. He made three models - the Delicate (an earlier version of the above guitar, featuring slightly different pickups) which he discontinued soon after an American told him that "delicate" was associated with "weak", the Frontier 1000 as shown above, the Rich Man - a 12-string version of the above, which he estimates he built roughly 10 of, and an SG-8 Pedal Steel Guitar (I have never seen one of these except in catalogs).

When I asked him again how many he made, he wasn't sure and gave a funny answer - he said "more than 250, but less than 1000." He didn't number them. (Another figure bandied about when I met him the first time was roughly 250 to 300.), and depending on how early the model is, they range from 80 to 95% handmade. Even the tuners on the earliest ones were made by hand! (the Voice Guitar featured on page 64 of Frank Meyers "History of Japanese Electric Guitars" is one I obtained for him, and features the handmade tuners, which uses plastic buttons which were adapted from a local plastic factory that made toy costume jewelry necklaces.)

close up of the pickup covers and also revealing the hand-filed pickguard.

The pickup covers on the Voice Guitar pictured above were made by carving a mold into a wooden cutting board, and then melting melamine, keeping it pliable with boiling water, and pressing it into the mold with another smaller block, trimming away the excess, letting it set, drilling holes, and then polishing them. They look incredible. Hard to believe they are handmade. The pickups themselves sound great. He used the best grade Alnico magnets he could get from Mitsubushi - the magnets themselves are fairly strong, and wound them on a machine he built himself. They measure in the 5k region. They have great character, and sound particularly good in the middle position. They are also incredibly quiet in terms of hum or noise (compared with other pickups from this era). I was very tempted to open them up and take a look at the coils, but they're actually sealed with hot glue, which would make for a very messy opening procedure, so I figured best to leave them alone.

Tone knob turns backwards towards treble (this is somewhat common on older Teisco and Guyatone guitars, as well as a few other Japanese manufacturers) the rhythm circuit tone and volume also run counter to what one gets on a Fender guitar. Also, very thin plastic roller knobs on this version. There were some versions which had flat plastic knobs that were located above the pickguard.

photo of another Voice Frontier 1000 which features the alternate knobs for the rhythm circuit.

The pickguard is a hand cut and filed piece of metal (for shielding) and then the plastic is overlaid on top of it. The bridge is stamped, but the saddles are various bolt threads cut to size and then tapped for screws. The bridge is grounded via contact with the bridge thimbles which are connected to the pickguard, eliminating the need for a ground to the tailpiece. Tailpiece and tremolo were also stamped and pressed in his home.

Image of the underside of the pickguard, and the cavity routes. Note that I have mistakenly put the bridge thimbles back here, mostly so I wouldn't misplace them - they actually enter the wood via the top of the pickguard, where they make contact with the metal. Also note the convenient diagonal cut in the cavity for the rhythm circuit wiring.

Though he used different woods at different times, he said a large number of the guitar bodies were made out of Sakura (Japanese Cherry Blossom) as he had access to a good stock of it at that time. Necks are maple, usually 3-piece. Rosewood fretboard. He always chose the best wood stock he could get.

The neck is a 24.75" scale neck (he actually remembered it as being smaller, and may have actually produced an even shorter scale at one time) with a zero fret. It plays incredibly well and is very comfortable. They use very unusual (probably custom made or custom ordered) fretwire which are almost like bar frets, but with a small tang. The headstock on the neck is actually pitched slightly, which is why there are no string trees like there would be on a Fender.

Sorry for the somewhat rambling way I've presented the information here. I just wanted to write it all down while it was in my head. I need to go back and listen to the recording of our conversation to re-check some of the details, but I believe that is all correct. Please excuse any typos. Hope it's of some interest.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Voice Guitars (1960's Japanese Jaguar/Jazzmaster copy)

Post by Kent » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 am

Fantastic write-up and a lovely slice of history. Thanks for contributing this.

HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HorseyBoy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this, sleepkid. Love it. And the guitar looks beautiful. I thought the scale would be larger given the photograph of Iwase-san holding it. He's such a tiny dude! And still rocking the leather vest!

bgalizio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bgalizio » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Very interesting! I love the idea of using Sakura as a body wood too!

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing with us this wonderful guitar and this great story.
As I am very curious too with old japanese guitars, I have saved pictures on my computer of Voice Frontiers over the last years.
I think these were on yahoo.jp auction but I don't really remember.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Wow! That is amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to share the info! I've always had the utmost respect for builders that make everything by hand, just awesome! Really imparts so much character. Crazy that it looks factory made too, never would have guessed he stamped the metal, and did the pickup covers at home, let alone by himself. I'm really loving the little flair on the pickguard too.

sleepkid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sleepkid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Even though it's a small part of Japanese guitar history, it deserves to be better known.
frelonvert wrote:Wow, thanks a lot for sharing with us this wonderful guitar and this great story.
As I am very curious too with old japanese guitars, I have saved pictures on my computer of Voice Frontiers over the last years.
I think these were on yahoo.jp auction but I don't really remember.
Those are both interesting because they feature the earlier pickup design more typically associated with the "Delicate" model, but have "Frontier" necks. Interesting to note that those have string trees as well, as opposed to to the pitched headstock. Also, the truss rod end seems to be shorter. In an earlier catalog the "Delicate" and the "Frontier" co-existed for a time, as I imagine he had built up some stock of the pickups (i.e. winding a few dozen during the course of the day and then taking them off the shelf as he needed them). I will try and post a catalog scan later.

Since they were all built by hand, variations like this are probably quite common across all models, as he worked to improve them, etc.

I forgot to include this in my original post, but I was up late, rambling along writing that, but here is a picture of Terauchi Takeshi and the Blue Jeans. While all the Blue Jeans are holding Fender instruments in this shot, notice the Voice Rich Man 12-string held by Takeshi in the background.

yearofthezombie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by yearofthezombie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Great story and info! Thanks for documenting.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Fantastic post, absolutely fascinating. Thanks! 8) 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Very, very cool. Thank you for taking time to write this.

Mr.K
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr.K » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:07 am

Sleepkid, thank you very much for that post. Incredibly interesting and well-written too!

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 am

Very interesting read. I've never seen that brand before - I guess very few, if any, made it over to the UK.

debudavid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debudavid » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Great research. Very nice guitars by the look of them. 8)

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:22 pm

brilliant post! thanks!

So cool to read about lesser if at all documented brands like this

sleepkid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sleepkid » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 am

So, I just scored this. Really want to hear it, but haven't yet because I actually don't have a stand-alone cab, and I'm not quite sure what the impedance for the speakers should be, but I thought I would post this here.

c.1968 Voice Amplifier - model unknown (modified/restored by previous owner)

There are only a few catalog scans in the various books I own, and while this amp has the same faceplate as a guitar amp on the cover of a catalog possibly dated 1970, the logo and cabinet are similar to one from a 1966 catalog. Though it has a space for a model and number on the back nothing is stamped in there.

The minus/plus for the bass and treble controls are nice too:

Two "Mitchell" 6L6 Power Tubes, and then a variety or pre-amp tubes, some of which are so old I can't read the type on them. Person I bought it from said it was 30 watts. His name was not Ikeda. Interestingly, there is an empty socket just before the reverb connection pins, and it has an "X" sharpied through it. This amp also appears to have an attenuator.

All the wiring is point to point. Looks like it was re-capped by someone who had a ton of NOS caps lying around. The empty tube socket (second from left) was at one point wired up to something, but is now no longer connected. So, it's not in it's 100% original state. A little hard to know what's going on.

Hope it all works. Would hate to pester an 84-year old man for a warranty repair. (joke)
Last edited by sleepkid on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.