Tuning screw for Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Sda
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tuning screw for Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2

Post by Sda » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:56 am

Hi

I have bought myself a vintage Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2.
One of the original screws in the tuners went missing at some point and the previous owner replaced it with a generic screw
https://imgur.com/yqdWvq2
However the screw doesn't keep the tuner locked. I have tried a screw of my Spanish guitar since it looks the same, but it doesn't fit.
Does anyone know what screw I should get?
I could buy a total new set of tuners but wish to keep the original parts as much as possible.

Thanx for reading my post
Stijn

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tuning screw for Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Looks like the same screws in my Univox (Mystery 12 string) tuners but I have no clue where to source just one.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Since a source hasn't materialized, but you have a sample of the right size, you can measure it with a screw size gauge and a thread gauge. And then go googling amongst the fastener companies for one that matches. A PITA but not impossible. But the new tuners might end up being the easier option. ;)
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Sda
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sda » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:18 am

Would it be possible to have it recreated with a 3D printer? Just send another screw to the 3D printing company and get an identical one? I have no experience on this matter.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Sda wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:18 am
Would it be possible to have it recreated with a 3D printer? Just send another screw to the 3D printing company and get an identical one? I have no experience on this matter.
I don't think you'll have much luck with a run of 1, and would expect the cost to scan/model and then print to be exorbitant in the unlikely event they agree to it (I'm not even sure if scanning a fine thread pitch is something that is possible yet).

Much easier to use a thread gauge then contacting fastener company/companies as timtam suggested. This is what they're for.

Alternatively just visit a fastener place with an existing screw and see if they can help you out. Though finding one with a perfectly matching head (profile/colour/finish) might be tricky.

Or buy a full set like these (no affiliation) and cannibalise one of the screws, and have a bunch of spare parts left over.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.