amber over black

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Post Reply
User avatar
lefty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 am
Location: HIgh Wycombe, Uk

amber over black

Post by lefty » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:27 am

hello OSG hive. I've got a quick refin question.

I've got round to spraying a black nitro finish over my 1960 JM body it was a really amber natural colour.. So far it looks like I wanted. Its not a relic finish but pretty dinged up and far from smooth/perfect. Question is, I've got a spare can of light tint amber plus clear gloss. Has anyone sprayed amber over black before? I want it to be a true black but I'd like it if it had a slight yellowing to match the plastics and tort. I don't have enough black to fully experiment but has anyone else got knowledge of what its likely to look like?

User avatar
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: amber over black

Post by mgeek » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 am

I tried this recently using Dartfords weak amber and it didn't really look how I wanted... too sort of obviously yellow and coloured if that makes sense?

Assuming you've done a nitro finish that stuff does age pretty quickly in the sun. I've got something I sprayed in like, march or april and you can already see different shading where the scratchplate is

User avatar
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: amber over black

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:04 am

Spraying tinted clear over a dark color like black is basically pointless.

User avatar
lefty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 am
Location: HIgh Wycombe, Uk

Re: amber over black

Post by lefty » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm

mgeek wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 am
I tried this recently using Dartfords weak amber and it didn't really look how I wanted... too sort of obviously yellow and coloured if that makes sense?

Assuming you've done a nitro finish that stuff does age pretty quickly in the sun. I've got something I sprayed in like, march or april and you can already see different shading where the scratchplate is
That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’m using dartford stuff too. I’ve used the light tint amber on a neck and found it really went on a lot darker than I expected. I’ve also spray the clear over IBM and I’m sure in just a couple of months it’s started to slightly yellow already. I’ll keep it to the clear be patient I think. Thanks for the heads up though.

User avatar
lefty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 am
Location: HIgh Wycombe, Uk

Re: amber over black

Post by lefty » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:43 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:04 am
Spraying tinted clear over a dark color like black is basically pointless.
You are probably right. I did do a quick patch test over a masked off bit and it did seem to give a slight tint. The problem as I see it is how controllable the results are. But basically I think you’re right. I need to be patient and not balls thing up by forcing the issue. Cheers for the thoughts

User avatar
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: amber over black

Post by mgeek » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 am

lefty wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’m using dartford stuff too. I’ve used the light tint amber on a neck and found it really went on a lot darker than I expected. I’ve also spray the clear over IBM and I’m sure in just a couple of months it’s started to slightly yellow already. I’ll keep it to the clear be patient I think. Thanks for the heads up though.
I tried some on a natural maple guitar and it just looked shitty and yellow so I sanded it off. I'm sure I've had a light tint before that was much more subtle, perhaps they mixed a bad batch or something

User avatar
lefty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 am
Location: HIgh Wycombe, Uk

Re: amber over black

Post by lefty » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:43 am

mgeek wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 am
lefty wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’m using dartford stuff too. I’ve used the light tint amber on a neck and found it really went on a lot darker than I expected. I’ve also spray the clear over IBM and I’m sure in just a couple of months it’s started to slightly yellow already. I’ll keep it to the clear be patient I think. Thanks for the heads up though.
I tried some on a natural maple guitar and it just looked shitty and yellow so I sanded it off. I'm sure I've had a light tint before that was much more subtle, perhaps they mixed a bad batch or something
Yeah it ended up being a bright strong borderline orange for me. I'll strip it at some point in the future. I kind of like it with the IBM anyway. Annoyingly I read after on their site that you were supposed to clear then amber and sand back to the tint you wanted. I had use manchester guitar tech light tint before and that seemed a lot more subtle.

Post Reply