Vox Ultrasonic restoration - IT'S HERE!

Bringing your older offset back to life.
GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vox Ultrasonic restoration - IT'S HERE!

Post by GAZINGUK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:29 am
Yeah, that's a great deal!!

By the way, the bridge is supposed to be loose. It's just held in place by the spring tension & won't move a millimetre, once it's strung up & tuned.
Even the wooden mount thing...? That's what fell off with the birdge attached.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:47 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am
Whaaaaaat?! How the hell did you get this mega score!!!

(BTW where do I find the serial number?)
;D ;D :D Yeah I know.... just luck, I knew someone that had one for sale since last year in Maine. It didn't sell and I wasn't sure if I could get it here, but everything worked out. I managed to do a deal, it was just a case of right place, right time really. A set of Carvin AP-6 pickups were installed in the guitar, but the original ferro sonic set was in the case along with the instructions. I've put the originals back in today. Oh and I also have the original keys for the Vox case too. Very cool!
Last edited by GAZINGUK on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:56 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am
Congrats, I mean! 😅
HaHa!! ;D ;D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:53 pm

GAZINGUK wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

By the way, the bridge is supposed to be loose. It's just held in place by the spring tension & won't move a millimetre, once it's strung up & tuned.
Yep. Both pieces are effectively loose until the strings are tightened.

I know exactly how you'll have felt though. The same thing happened to me when I bought my old '59 ES-125T. I couldn't wait to get new strings on it & when the last old one was loose the fucking bridge fell off. WHAT THE FUCK?? NOOOO!!!!!?

I think I actually asked about it on this very forum..

A little piece of double-sided tape wouldn't hurt, once you have it correctly lined up.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:28 am

Hey Pat, great looking project.
I "might" have an original bridge cover of an Italian made Ultrasonic buried somewhere in my parts bin...

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:24 am

ohm-men wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:28 am
Hey Pat, great looking project.
I "might" have an original bridge cover of an Italian made Ultrasonic buried somewhere in my parts bin...
Thanks man! :-*
Still looking for the bridge though.
Bought the Amazon one for now, sending her off to the repair guy next week. We'll see if it works or if I need another thing...
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:57 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:24 am
...Still looking for the bridge though...
Have you seen there's an EKO Facebook group? That and the Vox one could be good places to ask around.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:36 am

Arch top bridges are held in place by string tension. You might want to mark where it is before you restring, with some tape or something, but you want it resting on the wood of the top, but not attached in any way.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:18 am

Damn, it's echoey in here! ;D

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:53 pm
GAZINGUK wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

Yep. Both pieces are effectively loose until the strings are tightened.

I know exactly how you'll have felt though. The same thing happened to me when I bought my old '59 ES-125T. I couldn't wait to get new strings on it & when the last old one was loose the fucking bridge fell off. WHAT THE FUCK?? NOOOO!!!!!?

I think I actually asked about it on this very forum..

A little piece of double-sided tape wouldn't hurt, once you have it correctly lined up.
HaHa that's what I did too! I didn't know that was what was meant by a floating bridge. I just thought it was the bit at the top that wobbled. That's funny! ;D

I talked to my tech via e-mail today and he is going to tape the bridge, he suggested putting some pins in it, but I don't want to damage the body so I'm not letting him go that route.

The serial number on mine is 375058, does that mean it was made before the guitars on this thread? Also, the Made in Italy by Vox logo has rubbed off the back of the headstock, but I can see the outline of the print in the lacquer when I move the guitar in the light.

Does anyone know why some Vox guitars don't have the trussrod seams running down the back of the neck and some do? Mine does not and if it was made before some of the instruments on this forum, does that mean they changed the way they made the necks later in the production run?

PorkyPrimeCut I have a quick question for you too, what guage of strings do you use to keep the floating bridge in place since yours is all setup and working?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 pm

GAZINGUK wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 pm
PorkyPrimeCut I have a quick question for you too, what guage of strings do you use to keep the floating bridge in place since yours is all setup and working?
The last time I strung the guitar up with new strings I used leftovers. They were most likely Pyramid 10s. Definitely nothing higher. You'll be fine with any gauge though, I reckon. It doesn't take a huge amount of tension to hold the bridge securely in place.

Another thing to point out though...my guitar's a 12 string so the neck, which is strung up as a 6 string, is a completely different feel & profile. More like a 50s Gibson. A really comfortable, wider, flat-backed D shape. I'm sure it utilises the same truss-rod shape though & doubt it's constructed differently, even though there's probably more tension, when fully strung up.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:45 pm

GAZINGUK wrote:
Does anyone know why some Vox guitars don't have the trussrod seams running down the back of the neck and some do? Mine does not and if it was made before some of the instruments on this forum, does that mean they changed the way they made the necks later in the production run?
I can't answer this but there are folk over on this Facebook group who might be able to help you. I'm happy to ask on your behalf, if you don't use Facebook.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:20 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 pm
GAZINGUK wrote:
The last time I strung the guitar up with new strings I used leftovers. They were most likely Pyramid 10s. Definitely nothing higher. You'll be fine with any gauge though, I reckon. It doesn't take a huge amount of tension to hold the bridge securely in place.

Another thing to point out though...my guitar's a 12 string so the neck, which is strung up as a 6 string, is a completely different feel & profile. More like a 50s Gibson. A really comfortable, wider, flat-backed D shape. I'm sure it utilises the same truss-rod shape though & doubt it's constructed differently, even though there's probably more tension, when fully strung up.

Ah... okay, well the old strings on mine felt like a set of .10s, but I wasn't sure if it would require more tension. DR .10 - .46 Pure Blues it is! I've never tried Pyramid strings although I have heard good things about them. I was going to buy a set of their Nickel Classics last week, but the .10s were out of stock in most places unless I brought them over from Germany. I needed a set last week and couldn't wait, so I'll try some next time.
Last edited by GAZINGUK on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

GAZINGUK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GAZINGUK » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:27 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:45 pm
GAZINGUK wrote:
I can't answer this but there are folk over on this Facebook group who might be able to help you. I'm happy to ask on your behalf, if you don't use Facebook.
I don't use Facebook anymore, so if you want to ask then great thanks for the offer, if not don't worry it's okay! I prefer this guitar without the seams, IMO it looks a bit better and more like a Fender neck which is cool! Mine is original and correct for this Ultrasonic. In the past I've seen some others for sale without the seams, but not many, so I found it interesting that Vox/Eko changed this aspect of the guitar. I'm guessing that it was for production speed. Here's the back of my guitar:

As I stated above, the back of the headstock did have the Made in Italy by Vox logo on it, but it has rubbed off. I can see the outline of the print in the lacquer when I move the guitar in the light, but it's hard to take a photo of it.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:38 am

So, your serial number - 375058 - is after mine - 356512 - and before Pat's - 406899.

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are & this could easily be a case, like Fender, of the plates being mass-produced & picked out of a bucket, when needed. Mine's missing but I see most of these Italian made Vox guitars have the model name printed on a sticker that's affixed to the neck plate.

I'll ask about the different neck construction now...