Breathing Life Into Edwards E-T 95BIV

Bringing your older offset back to life.
EdgeLord666
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Breathing Life Into Edwards E-T 95BIV

Post by EdgeLord666 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi All

Hoping someone can help me out here. I bought an (ESP Japan) Edwards E-T 95BIV Tetsuya bass and need some pointers getting it back up and working.

I played an original one of these in Japan about ten years ago and really liked it. I recently bought one that has had all its electronics removed and PUPs replaced with EMG Jazz PUPS from different basses.

I have material for the pickguard that matches the original and can cut it myself. I ordered a Bass VI control plate, as well.

Where I really need help is the wiring of this bass. I can't find too much info on the switch controls or a wiring diagram that shows what is going on under the hood. My understanding is that this bass is identical to the Grass Roots version, but information is scarce on each.

I believe one switch activates/bypasses a boost mode. Does anyone know the specs of this circuit and how the bass itself is wired?

Also, it would be interesting to know if there are any other PUPs on the market that are similar or a match to the original stock PUPs.

Any help here is much appreciated!

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Breathing Life Into Edwards E-T 95BIV

Post by MrFingers » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:38 am

The wiring is alike a regular Bass VI (so 3 on-off switches for each pickup), with a master tone & master volume. Where it allegedly differs is the function of the 4th switch. It's not a strangle switch like the Bass VI, with a capacitor that filters out the low end, but a tonepot bypass. The effect is virtually the same.

As for the pickups, they were especially made for that bass, so finding replacements will be neigh impossible. The Schecter MonsterTone pickups will be the closest equivalent.

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sun May 02, 2021 7:00 am

Novak has done some mutated Jazz-Bass-like pickups that also look to be in the same zone, but it's not the cheap option. Then again, anybody selling a proper set would know the buyer NEEDED that exact set and would probably want a mint.

https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/tb-jb/

EdgeLord666
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EdgeLord666 » Sat May 08, 2021 8:44 am

HI

Thanks very much for the advice on pickups and the switch wiring. I was able to find two of the Schecter neck PUPs used for a great price so I will wait to cut the pickguard until I receive them.

Again, big help and I appreciate it. Now if I could find a Squier VI control plate.

Best!