Re-fin a neck with nitro

Bringing your older offset back to life.
ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re-fin a neck with nitro

Post by ohm-men » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:40 am

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, so mods please move it to the appropriate section if needed ;)

I have a Jm neck that I really like, but it's in deer need of a decent finish. The one that's now on it is just peeling of. (It's something I put on it myself, but I must off made a wrong mix or something...)
So, I set my mind on doing a nitro re-fin on this neck.
But I need to know a couple of things before I go ahead.

- Does mapple need anything before I put the nitro on?
- There is some kind of poly? varnish/filler on this neck. Would it be a good idea to strip it back to the bare wood? (Just thinking of this since I want it to wear nicely)

My idea is to put a not too thick amber/tobacco spray can nitro finnish on this neck. The idea is that over time it will wear so it has this rather pleasant almost polished bare wood feeling.

And last but not least what's the best way to go ahead with this (how many coats, drying time, etc... ???)

Tumtrah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Re-fin a neck with nitro

Post by Tumtrah » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:29 am

I like to strip down the lacquer to the bare wood. Otherwise you may have visible spots where you sanded through the old finish. In the past I used tinted lacquer on maple, but I found out that I like it more to stain the bare wood at first. Tinted lacquer can cause problems with in-between sanding ( uneven colour). Before staining with water based stains, wipe the neck with a damp rag and let it dry over night. Then sand carefully with 320 grid or so. After staining and drying I brush the neck with a special brush to smooth the wood. You can use the backside of sandpaper instead of the brush. I like to apply sparingly shellac as sealer with a rag, but you can skip this step. Finally I spray 3-4 clear coats.
Hope this helps. :)