Re: Bass V rescue mission

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Jjango
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Bass V rescue (MISSION COMPLETE - NOW WITH PICTURES)

Post by Jjango » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:08 am

stereordinary wrote:
DB wrote: Come on Stereo, you can do it!  I want to see a custom Bass V!

DB
Okay, so then a few questions for the truly die-hard:

1. What would be acceptable as far as substitute parts are concerned?  I mean, I could wind a custom pickup with the 3+2 configuration like that, but where would I get the covers?  The bidge?  The ashtray?  The control plate?  I can make the body and neck, but I can't mold plastic parts (yet).

2. For Jjango; do you already have a full-scale version of that drawing, and can I have a copy?

3. For DB, can you make a tracing of some sort for the internal routing?

4. What color combo?  :D
WOW! This is TOO cool!!!

1. The bridge – I've seen replacements that fit, but kind of lose the vintage vibe – I'd certainly consider it "good enough for rock 'n' roll", though.

This is a Gotoh, I also have a more close-up photo.

2. Yes, I have a much larger version, stereordinary – but before I send it to you, I'd like to touch it up a bit, because since I made it, I've found much larger, high-resolution images to compare it to. I'd like to take a day or so to check to make sure it's as perfect as possible.

3. I've got some photos that show the routing, and could overlay them on the blueprint.

4. The sky would be the limit!  :D

The neckplate is non-standard, but that seems an easy enough thing to fabricate – maybe a six-bolt from a Stingray would work:
ImageImage

As to the ashtrays – well, DB used one off a Marcus Miller for the pickup, and I think it looks great. As for the bridge cover... well, that may be pretty close to impossible.

Here's a look at how Fender does (did) it:

I'm no metal worker, but I think you'd need to make a cast of the original, and then do what Fender did – waaaaaaaaaaay expensive, I'd think. Maybe someone with knowledge of this stuff could chime in.

A P-Bass cover is pretty close, but with no "F" on it – plus, it's probably too narrow to fit over five strings.

It would be nice to have the whole "ashtray enchilada", but I wouldn't exactly kick this no-bridge-cover one outta bed for eating crackers!

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:18 am

Alright cool, I'm glad you've considered all of this.  And take your time with the drawings, to be honest it will be awhile before I can start this one.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:35 pm

Hey guys, this sounds like a great project!  Seems like it deserves its own thread though, so we can get the focus on duplication rather than resoration. 

I'd be happy to take photos, dimensions of my Vs.  I think the goal should be V inspired, since duplicating all the parts would come close to or more than a real V (I know, I almost went down that path trying to reproduce an XII).  So I think the priority should be identifying/defining all the parts needed except the neck and body.  The toughest will be pickups, neck plate, control plate, and pickup covers (though as we saw on mine, the Marcus Miller bridge PU cover is close, but not wide enough!).  I have a guard that can be used as a template, and any other parts are up for grabs for tracing/measuring as well.

By the way Jjango, I am truly inspired by your drafting skills.  Simply amazing, and I know the software only makes it possitble - it is still a lot of painstaking work!

Now I want to do a Starcaster!

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Jjango
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jjango » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:17 pm

DB wrote:Hey guys, this sounds like a great project!  Seems like it deserves its own thread though, so we can get the focus on duplication rather than resoration. 
Yes, sorry about that, DB – I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I kinda got caught up in Bass V Hysteria.  :o Thanks for your kind comments!

I agree with you that the best/closest thing that could reasonably ($$) be achieved is a "inspired by" instrument – almost like a "tribute" axe.

stereordinary, I will upload the new blueprint as soon as I get a little break from work – I won't forget this, I assure everyone, Bass Vs are a fetish item for me! "Fetish" doesn't mean I wouldn't love to actually play one – I really like the "note span" of being able to double-stop on the E and C string at the same time, one of my many draws to the V.

And I'll start a new thread when I upload the updated pics, DB!  ;D

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Jjango wrote:
DB wrote:Hey guys, this sounds like a great project!  Seems like it deserves its own thread though, so we can get the focus on duplication rather than resoration. 
Yes, sorry about that, DB – I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I kinda got caught up in Bass V Hysteria. 
Hey, no problem, I'm not worried about the hijack (I actually do that to my own threads sometimes! :o).  I just think we'll get more attention to your project with a dedicated thread.  I think this should be fun!  I"m looking forward to it.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

I played both Bass Vs today at volume with my 13 year son old on drums.  They have a really nice tone.  You can get quite a variety of sounds by playing at extremes (right hand near the neck or near the bridge), but the V does have a "hollow" character all it's own. It has a fantastic rock sound with a pick (think Green Day).  The sound is closest to a P Bass, but not exactly.  My son mentioned how he likes when I play the low B and the air pushes by him (the bass amp is pointed straight at his drum kit!).  It was a fun evening!

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...