Re: P64 JAG... Old Yeller

Bringing your older offset back to life.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: PROJECT '64 JAG...FIRST PICS!

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:59 pm

I even found the little thingy-do that grounds the pickguard shield! It was under the pickup:

Blech! What a mess, this Jag's in tatters... and I've been shattered:

The foam actually came off in more-or-less one piece:

Typical abused-Jag looking pickup:

Check out the mute foam, this was the same crap that held those bodyguards in place. You can see how they would ruin the finish:

Two shots of the tail ground:

Here's the parts all cleaned up. I'll hand polish and wax them next, then reassemble the body and wait for the neck to get here:

:-*

Everything cleaned up REALLY well!
Q. Are we not men?

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:28 pm

that must have been A LOT OF work !!  :o
i absolutly love the aged pickup covers  :-*
perfect work.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Man, that's going to be a fun project.

Once, I saw a documentary piece about Dutch writer/actor Herman Koch, one of the writers/performers of that Dutch comedy show "Jiskefet" to which Sauerkraut linked a few times a while ago. He showed a.o. how his wife, when she pained a cabinet, painted AROUND the TV because she found the thing too heavy to lift. I get that same feeling with the finish job on this one...did they strip it with the pickguard on or something? :-[

BTW Re: the tuners... are there any factory-original guitars in existence with the two types mixed? Given how Fender typically operated, I somehow can't imagine they waited until they used the last single line before they started using the double lines. I'd think employee X would simply toss a bunch of new tuners in a half-empty bin with tuners from the last order or something. And the types changed in '64, so I can imagine how at least theoretically a '64 might have two different versions of what essentially is the same tuner. That probably hasn't happened on yours, but you might find it an acceptable alternative for having to track down two tuners ;).

(although this is a Feb one and my June one still has all single lines... hm).
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:49 pm

I assume they didn't want to desolder anything, so they taped off the cavities and stripped around it.  You can't take a Jag apart without desoldering. The stripped area is smaller than the guard, so they did at least remove the guard.

This one really illustrates how thin the original finishes were! There's barely ANY ridge between the stripped area and the painted. And the painted area would include yellow dye, fullerplast sealer, primer, paint and clear. Leo was a frugal sumbitch...

As for the tuners, yeah... you raise a good point. It shouldn't be surprising at all. But one of my end ones is a middle and the Kluson outline is clearly visible on the second set of six. So it seems suspicious to me.

I'm waiting for wax to dry... more pics coming soon!

Edit:  For reference, the pic above shows the original staple for the tail ground. It looks like started at that end and exposed quite a bit of the core and stapled it with the wire coming from the opposite direction, then bent it over, and THEN ran it through the hole. I've been doing this opposite, connecting the brass end, going through the hole, and then stapling just one section (not doubling it over). Interesting to note for my refin...
Last edited by fullerplast on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:05 pm

that must have been A LOT OF work !! 
I'm LOVING it!    :-*
Q. Are we not men?

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:12 pm

My jeans are getting tighter just seeing this project come together  :?
I love working on guitars - getting the old bad smell off, smelling the good old smell... heh.. it's so satisfying once you've finished getting one little piece of the puzzle ready to go...
keep the pics comin!  :-*

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:27 pm

Here's my hardware stash from which I will reassemble:

I'll use non self-adhesive foam, since I will be disassembling for refin later:

The pups are installed and looking good!

Now for the control plates. Notice the screw goes through the ground lug and then into the switch. I actually used the lower screw, not the upper as suggested in this photo:

The plates are installed using appropriately rusty hardware:

Now the tail goes on...

The lower strap button was missing. I didn't have a crappy enough strap button to match this one:

So I dumped out my button baggie:

And chose this pair:

Looking MUCH better than before!

The guard polished up beautifully. I wish the camera could capture the gloss of it...

Here's the back. I wish I had taken a "before" shot. If you've messed with these, you can imagine how it looked. It cleaned up great too:

I taped the shield to the back like it originally was. I could see where the original tape had been.

Now I attempted to install the guard, but there was just no way to do it. It definitely needs some filing and I'm too tired to do it right now. So I'll clean up my mess and save that for the next episode. But one last shot shows how the neck plate cleaned up. Compare this shot to the one earlier in the thread:

I scratched all the chrome up getting it clean. There was really no other way to remove that weird film from it. I think it was in the early stages of some really bad corrosion. I tried 3 grades of compound, but still ended up using a green scratch pad. You can only see the scratches at the right angle, otherwise it's all shine. Only the worst of the pits remain (where the chrome was actually penetrated).

And I decided... she will be BLACK!

:-*
Q. Are we not men?

light years
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by light years » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:46 pm

i cant wait to see it finished! i wish you picked oly though :(

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:40 pm

light years wrote: i cant wait to see it finished! i wish you picked oly though :(
OLY is really my preference, but since I've already done one, I think I'll go with Black this time.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/jaguar_restoration/

Who knows, I could change my mind. I miss my '63 Oly alot...
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:47 pm

I couldn't resist, I went ahead and filed the guard and it pops right on and sits very nicely over everything.

I forgot to mention above that the trem-loc button was rusted and would not budge. I sprayed it down with LPS-2 and then tapped it with a hammer on the back side until it loosened up. It works like a champ now. This is going to be a really nice Jag!

I can't wait for that neck to get here! All I need to do is clean the bridge, bolt the neck on and set it up.
Q. Are we not men?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: PROJECT '64 JAG... VINTAGE UNDER 1K

Post by StevenO » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:59 pm

fullerplast wrote: StevenO is suddenly funnier than me.    :(
I seem to be able to make people laugh but you have the ability to make people green with envy. Your guitars are beautiful!

I'm really not that funny.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:14 pm

Hey, I was just kidding around.

But you do come up with a good one now and then!

;D
Q. Are we not men?

heavenstreet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by heavenstreet » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:48 pm

You gonna keep it for a while before you refinish it?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Not really, I just want to get it all together and make sure everything is cool... play it a bit and and then disassemble it for the refin. I don't want to run into problems later, I'd rather get all the "engineering" work out of the way first. Not that I expect any problems...
Q. Are we not men?

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:39 pm

primo, dude, primo...  black seems like the right choice for this pup, too.  :)