"Odd Jag Project" Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

"Odd Jag Project" Restoration

Post by MrWizard44 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:33 pm

So, I bought the guitar from this thread -- index.php?topic=8381.0 -- on impulse, which was very stupid of me.  Not sure if I can pay for it yet.  Might not be keeping that instrument, but, in the event that I do --

Do any of you guys have the specs for a '66 Jaguar routing?  This guy filled in the orignal routing with bond-o and if I keep this thing it's gonna need the routing recut.  Anybody have a drawing or something to that effect that shows the proper shapes, depths, dimensions, etc?

If I keep this instrument, I'll probably be posting many more topics on this thing as I begin its long and arduous restoration...

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Odd Jag Project" Restoration

Post by dain » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 pm

dude you should totally keep it!  really unless the truss rod is broken off you got a steal...

besides my theory is if you strip it with citrus strip i bet the filled in areas will be blatantly obvious.  you could just take a router and make sure you stay in the lines.

too bad its not halloween or your not in a goth band!

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:59 pm

also that case is SWEET!  if you don't like blond cases i've got a vintage black jaguar case i'll trade for it!  :P

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

If I think bondo is what I think it is, you could probably just scrape it out with like a hammer and a chisel, non? Well, once stripped anyhow...

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:19 pm

dain wrote: also that case is SWEET!  if you don't like blond cases i've got a vintage black jaguar case i'll trade for it!  :P
You might have a deal, there.  *might*

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:05 am

I don't really know anything about Bondo, but if it's anything like epoxy, you could get it out cleanly with a heat gun.  You'd just have to be careful not to burn the wood or spend too much time around glue joints.  Yeah, I say strip it and post pics.  We'll go from there!
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:15 am

Congrats, Mr. Wizard! You have gotten some good advice. I also believe you will be able to see and clean out the filled area once it is stripped. Just take your time and be really careful. I have used an exacto knife to remove small amouts of filler.

Having said that, I saw a post here that had route dimentions, depths, etc. I can't remember if it was a Jag or a JM. Maybe someone can remember where that is located.

Hope you enjoy your new project!

Regan

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:53 am

Congrats! I thought that was you based on your ebay handle.

Like they've said, once it's stripped the routing will be obvious. And bondo doesn't stick to wood all that great. Trimming around the outline and a little heat like others have said.... should cause it to pop out. If you have to resort to using a dremel or something, just be sure to trim the edges first with the exacto so you dont booger up the lines.

Good luck... document with photos and keep us posted!

Edit:  Alternately... since the body is routed and not truly "collectible"... you might consider omitting the rhythm section and using a pickguard shaped like the electric XII on top... which I think is a great look on an offset. That would save you from having to dig out that part up top:

This is (obviously) a hardtail workup I did... but you get the idea. I think the simple circuit with toggle is pretty cool. Not conventional Jag, but a nice, workable design with a Fenderish theme.
Last edited by fullerplast on Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Isn't bondo that shit they use in auto body repairs? You may want to ask a body shop guy about it.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:02 pm

fullerplast wrote: Congrats! I thought that was you based on your ebay handle.

Like they've said, once it's stripped the routing will be obvious. And bondo doesn't stick to wood all that great. Trimming around the outline and a little heat like others have said.... should cause it to pop out. If you have to resort to using a dremel or something, just be sure to trim the edges first with the exacto so you dont booger up the lines.

Good luck... document with photos and keep us posted!

Edit:  Alternately... since the body is routed and not truly "collectible"... you might consider omitting the rhythm section and using a pickguard shaped like the electric XII on top... which I think is a great look on an offset. That would save you from having to dig out that part up top:

This is (obviously) a hardtail workup I did... but you get the idea. I think the simple circuit with toggle is pretty cool. Not conventional Jag, but a nice, workable design with a Fenderish theme.
I appreciate the advice but I kinda want to be strictly retro on this thing.  Y'know, by the numbers.  I'd be more likely to do something crazy like that on a Japanese Jag.  I mean, sure the one I've got is brutalized, but deep down it's still a Fullerton factory Fender from the "glory days" of the 60's, and I'd like to bring it back to its former glory.

Plus, I actually take advantage of the lead/rhythm circuits pretty often when I play.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:50 am

Sure, I understand completely. I would restore it also.

Just chiming in with other possibilities, since it's already been modded...

:)
Q. Are we not men?

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:03 am

This is a ridiculous thing to ask, but do any of you know where I could get a '66 B&B neck?  I'm having some serious creative differences with my father (who I'm restoring the guitar with) -- I want to paint the headstock to match the body, and he is absolutely convicted that removing the original decal (which we would obviously need to do if we were going to paint it) would be just about the dumbest thing a person could do.  So much so, actually, that he thinks we should just sell the original neck and buy another one that's already been "ruined" (that is, refinished). 

If I'm getting a different neck, I'd like it to be B&B from the same year (though I should really just take anything I can get).  Unfortunately this kind of neck seems to be the Holy Grail of the offset world.

Help!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:11 am

DON'T REMOVE THE DECAL!!!  If you really must do a headstock, buy another neck.  The lack of an original decal would really detract from the guitar's value!

That would be the worst thing to do!  If the neck has the original finish, don't mess with it!
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:16 am

Yeah that neck looks to be in pretty good shape.. Sell it and buy the neck you want
'cleanest, best pleasure'

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:30 am

I agree. I would not touch the neck unless it had been previously refinished. Sometimes father knows best! :)

Regan