Raising Arizona - 1967 Jaguar content

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Re: Raising Arizona - 1967 Jaguar content

Post by Stereordinary » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:32 am

FUZZ_KING wrote: looks like a pretty good deal... and a great project!
Thirded!
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:48 am

fullerplast wrote: I was surprised to see the red under the guard, as I assumed it was a toad refin! It's still odd though, that there's little black under the guard at the bottom of the body. The red apparentyl went all the way to that thin black edge. I never heard of black disappearing, but red... yeah.
  Maybe the black was just thin to begin with, like this 72 that I almost bought on eBay last month!

One more guitar, then I'll practice!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:06 pm

RE: Fading

What does the back look like???

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:39 pm

I'll post a pic since people keep asking, but it's not that different from the front...

Face, did you get my pm?

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:33 am

Hmmm, upon first glance the Pick ups are not the original ones. THey look a bit like MIJ ones. THe thin wire is a dead giveaway on those. But on the other ahnd I've seen some vintage Pu's rewired and even MIJ's rewired with cloth wire to give them a vintage apeal....

But the Jag looks  :? :? :?
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:05 am

Well, I've never heard CIJ Jag pickups , but if these are it they're not half bad.  I'm inclined to agree with OffYourFace that they might be Seymour Duncans.  The ground wires are black but the bridge lead is white and the neck lead is red, if that's any help.  They just look and feel like high quality pickups.  They sound good, but I'd like them to be a little brighter.  When I have the thin switch on, they're almost perfect.  But they do need potted, unfortunately.  I found that out when I got to the INSANE setting on my Spider II (my back-up amp.  My Valvetronix just one night decided it didn't want to turn on!) and they started to squeal, but just a little bit.
  I've got her strung up "Jaco style" without a pickguard or switchplate just using the pre-existing wiring that was in there.  I would've loved to use cloth wiring but it wouldn't be "vintage correct"! :P  I also "borrowed" the trem arm and bushing from my Jazzmaster until a suitable replacement comes along. 
  I hate to say it, but I think I'm becoming a short scale convert!!! :o  It was stereordinary talking about being able to make a conversion neck for Jags that got me thinking about a Jag in the first place and now I might not be wanting one.  However, stereo, I'm starting to think about making my Jazzmaster a baritone! ;)

edit: and before anyone asks, my camera needs batteries so I will get pics up soon.  I put two new ones in out of the junk drawer, but they were good for a day and I'm already getting the blinking red light!  You just can't trust those junk drawer batteries... :-\

Last edited by berlinbetty on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:25 am

berlinbetty wrote:However, stereo, I'm starting to think about making my Jazzmaster a baritone! ;)
Trés bien!    :D :P 8)
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 pm

berlinbetty wrote:
  I hate to say it, but I think I'm becoming a short scale convert!!! :o
I know how you feel, it's weird!  I love my Partsguar!  I don't even know why I decided to build a vintage parts Jaguar in the first place, something just made me do it.  I never had a great opinion about them in the past. 
Now I play it more than my '59!  Well, they both get lots of playing time.  Now I have a smooth & comfy actual '65 Jag neck on it and it's even better.  I'm keeping the Musicmaster II neck though, for another project.

With my band, I usually played a Les Paul.  Our first record is 90% Les Paul.  Maybe the feel of the Jag reminded me of it?
It's funny though, I never really thought of the LP as a short scale guitar. 

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:37 pm

Okay, pics as promised...

ImageImage

Front and back...

Current switch set-up (toggle switch pup selector and thin switch) which I just may keep.  I like the idea of a toggle switch on a jag.  I figured I'll just screw it into the slot for the neck swtich on the selector plate.  Probably what would be perfect for me is the Kurt Cobain style plate with the Les Paul switch and the thin switch.  Does anyone know where I can get one of those (I don't recall seeing any after-market) or if it requires special routing?  If it does, than I won't bother...

ImageImage

Some good pictures of the checking in the finish!  What do you think, authentic?

The Fender No-guar?!?
Last edited by berlinbetty on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:58 pm

I think the fading is cool (already said that...). It's not that faded in the back (at least it looks like that in the pics) as in the front.

What's the story with the decal - is it a repro or is just the "JAGUAR" and pat number parts sanded off?
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:08 pm

There is more of a transition in the sunburst on the back than on the front and the back is a tad more amber, but you really have to look to see that much difference.
  I've never looked that closely at the headstock until now to answer your question and it really IS hard to tell what's going on with the decal.  To my untrained eye, it looks like it just said Fender all along.  I'm sure that's not the case, but it sure as hell looks like it.  There is VERY fine horizontal checking on the headstock that also seems to run through the Fender logo, but at the same time, there's no apparent fading (tan line) from where the "JAGUAR" and pat. numbers would have been!  It almost looks like the neck was refinished and a decal was put on that just said "Fender", but like thirty years ago or something...  Weird!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:15 pm

I like that decal.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 am

Yup, you are right. those are SD probalby SJG-1 (vintage for Jaguar) They use the same gauge of plasitc wire as the MIJ/CIJ ones. Ofcourse the SD's are way better. I guess you will like them as they sound pretty good. I really love the checking on that body.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

SurfGreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SurfGreen » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi Betty!

You have any plans to do anything with the color? A re-fin in order? Maybe Olympic White or Sherwood Green? Man, does that guitar feel lighter or heavier than say an AVRI Jag?

Probably looking for a pickguard on ebay for it? Cool stuff. Now all you need is a reverb unit and a Showman with two 15-inch speakers!

Surf
Surf's Up!

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm going to have to go out and find an AVRI Jag just to be able to answer all your questions! ;D  I have no plans currently to refinish it.  The second biggest reason I bought it (the first being the price) was that I liked the color!  Sookwinder had one in a similar color that he refinished, but I actually liked the looks of it before he stripped it!  So, when I saw this one, I knew it had to be mine!