Wiring diagram/ideas for jag with two switches instead of rollers?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Carn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Wiring diagram/ideas for jag with two switches instead of rollers?

Post by Carn » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:51 pm

So I got a kit from china, beautiful and with replacement parts that would fit...lol somebody didn't want to get sued! So instead of tone rollers up top I've got 2 switches. Sadly the company won't return my emails and didn't send a wiring diagram. Any suggestions as to how I could wire this?

mbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Wiring diagram/ideas for jag with two switches instead of rollers?

Post by mbe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:42 am

Do you have the rhythm/lead switch adjacent to the switches that replace rollers? Are those switches that replace the rollers 2 position or 3? I am thinking you might be able to wire it up like a Mustang with the two switches to put each pickup in or out of phase with each other. Either that or perform some surgery on the scratchplate to mount rollers and then wire up like a standard Jaguar.

Carn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Carn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:55 pm

From a distance, it looks normal. Just the rollers have been replaced by 2 position switches. So two horizontal and the kill switch up top. The bottom has the regular bank of 3 switches. I wish I knew how to post a photo. Any chance you could mock up a wiring diagram that would show me how to put the pick ups out of phase as you mentioned? Im very new to these types of builds.

Carn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Carn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 pm

I'm not opposed to modifications, I've already filed out the pickguard to get my vintage 65 pups in there. But my worry is that it is a kit. All the replacement parts I've bought including new fender am. locking tuners have not fit. The upper cover is smaller than the fender, so there's not a whole lot of room for rollers.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 pm

Are they 2-way or 3-way?

You could set them up to give you preset bass and treble cuts with caps and resistors, so you could get your favorite 2 rhythm circuit tones (if they're 3-way, otherwise you just get one) plus a couple of bass cuts, or some sort of S/P or OoP switching.

I'd probably go with high/low cuts (if it's got the usual Jag switches on a plate, you can do series/parallel there pretty easily). Gets you some versatility going into the rest of your signal chain.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:19 pm

The very common Chinese kits for jaguar-like objects are often not very jaguar-like at all, and often not even 24" scale. Nothing to do with getting sued .. more to do with half-assed laziness. I think I've only seen one (expensive) kit that was accurate. So unless you are very keen to do significant mods, you may be better off living with it.

Is anything pre-wired ? What do the switches actually do ? Your options for modding it using the existing switches depend on what type of switches they are.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Carn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Carn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:09 pm

All the switches (6 total) all have 6 solder points (rings) on the back. Just a 2 way on/off. I do not have very much in the way of electronic savvy. So I just wired it up to the diagram that came with my vintage 65 jaguar pickups. Just finished the wiring, and now have to do the actual set up. Considering wiring it like a mustang