Vague post descriptions in the subject line (are they for you?)

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
Loomer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vague post descriptions in the subject line (are they for you?)

Post by Loomer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 am

(Feel free to redirect or edify me if this doesn't belong here or is inappropriate for any reason.)

It's not a huge deal, just a pet peeve: I find navigating thru the site difficult sometimes because of all the vague "this is cool" or "weird" or "what do you think..." subject lines. I'm not a very active member of any other forum, so maybe this is an unavoidable forum reality?

Nitpicky, I know. And giving away the surprise in the subject might spoil the desired "wtf?!" response you're going for when posting...  But I see so many redundant posts because a cursory search leads one to think the subject hasn't been brought up yet. Also, I find myself missing out on really great threads while they're active because the topic was not very descriptive.

I just think it's silly to not be more descriptive in the subject line. Like "cool radiohead cover using old computer parts" or "weird pick of customized Teisco" or "vintage wallpaper under poly: what do you think?"  :D

(i've probably done this myself, so please don't take offense.  :))

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vague post descriptions in the subject line (are they for you?)

Post by jetset » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:13 am

I agree 100% - there are too many posts these days, and I just ignore any that have vague, could-be-anything subject lines.  This doesn't just apply here either, but all over the web.  Newspapers are learning that clever punny headlines that don't describe the story may be fine in print, but on the web they get missed in search results or people scanning news feeds.

So please everybody, don't just title your next post " MIM Offsets - I have found another thing to complain about that has not yet been sufficiently covered in the previous 43 posts"  But rather: " MIM Offsets - I have found another thing to complain about that has not yet been sufficiently covered in the previous 43 posts: they smell vaguely of guacamole"

THEN, I'll know whether to bother reading it or not.  (Not)

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:08 am

On the whole, with the influx of users to the site there's a lot more chuff being posted and so the relative amount of good information vs. mindless banter has grown dramatically.  So the trend of having vague title descriptions probably follows the member count pretty closely.  I've also noticed a general trend towards drifting off topic that's getting awfully tiresome as well the tendency for a smaller group of members to dominate the conversation.  I think that's pretty normal with most forums and those are all things that are tough to moderate but it certainly would be appreciated by the mods and probably a lot of members if we were just a little better about keeping on topic and using the search before posting duplicate or previously covered topics. And of course being more descriptive with our titles as well.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:15 am

well said, Jay.

I think a good way to think about it is this:

before posting, think about someone in the future looking for information on the site. What is the best way to post/describe things etc so that people can find the info with relative ease?

the off-topic drifting has been more and more prominent lately....of course there will always be friendly banter, but things are truly escalating out of control...

Trust me, I have to read all the threads! :D
Resident Spartan.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:19 am

Off-topic banter: Guilty :( .  Sorry, guys.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Off-topic banter: Guilty :( .  Sorry, guys.

hey Nolan,

we're not really singling out anyone here...the forum is comprised of all it's members...if we all do our bit then it's gonna be a better place, and it will get better and better and grow

we have the power to make this THE place for offset guitars...it's a wonderful thing and I'm glad that you and everyone else are onboard and a part of it :)

this is still early days, and the foundations are still being laid...there will be ups and downs, it's all part of the ride  8)

Yannis
Resident Spartan.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Loomer wrote:
I just think it's silly to not be more descriptive in the subject line. Like "cool radiohead cover using old computer parts" or "weird pick of customized Teisco" or "vintage wallpaper under poly: what do you think?"  :D
That was me, and you are right, i could have been more precise.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

Loomer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Loomer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:19 pm

Jay wrote: So the trend of having vague title descriptions probably follows the member count pretty closely. 
I figured as much, but I've also been surprised at a few seasoned members doing it as well. Oh well, I'm sure a simple search would easily prove me a hypocrite on this...  :-[
zhivago wrote: before posting, think about someone in the future looking for information on the site. What is the best way to post/describe things etc so that people can find the info with relative ease?
+1!
zhivago wrote: the off-topic drifting has been more and more prominent lately....of course there will always be friendly banter, but things are truly escalating out of control...

Trust me, I have to read all the threads! :D
:-[ I forget how closely my idiotic comments are watched... ha! But, at the risk of annoying OSG MGMT, I have to chuckle at the two off-topic comments about off-topic comments; the cherry on the cake of which is Nolan's off-topic apology...  ;D ;D  I don't mind/care, of course. I just thought it was funny. ;)
Pingu wrote: That was me, and you are right, i could have been more precise.
I didn't mean to call you out. I was just trying to highlight a point. I should have chosen another route. My apologies...  :)

edit: your subject was actually plenty clear to me. i shoulda picked a better example.  :-[ 
Last edited by Loomer on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Loomer wrote: "cool radiohead cover using old computer parts"

"weird pick of customized Teisco"

"vintage wallpaper under poly: what do you think?"
jetset wrote: " MIM Offsets - I have found another thing to complain about that has not yet been sufficiently covered in the previous 43 posts: they smell vaguely of guacamole"
Where are these threads? I wish to read them; they sound entertaining.
zhivago wrote: the off-topic drifting has been more and more prominent lately....of course there will always be friendly banter, but things are truly escalating out of control...
I think the problem comes to the fore in useful topics that get derailed, rather than threads that were meant to be random/non-serious anyway .. everyone should let it all hang out in the Misc section, but if a new member posts a serious question about some technical detail in the Tech section and comes back to find a couple of useful answers and two pages about alcohol, penguins, culinary differences among Patagonian tribes in the 1800s etc. etc. .. it muddies the waters.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.