post padding

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
pinkmoonfan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: post padding

Post by pinkmoonfan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 am

HNB posts some of the best and most interesting threads on OSG. I really don't think it's fair to criticise him for the misc. word assoc. thread, it's not like his only contricution is that thread.

Maybe it's time to have a 50 post requirement to access the misc. word assoc. thread to prevent people from using it to post-pad.

:D :D :P

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 am

pinkmoonfan wrote:HNB posts some of the best and most interesting threads on OSG. I really don't think it's fair to criticise him for the misc. word assoc. thread, it's not like his only contricution is that thread.

Maybe it's time to have a 50 post requirement to access the misc. word assoc. thread to prevent people from using it to post-pad.
Make it 10000 post reqirement ;D ;D ;D

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:26 pm

tribi9 wrote:
shadowplay wrote:
ZenJenga wrote:for the love of god somebody delete the MISC Word Assoc thread.

Word! I liked the song association thread but it died quickly.

I considered going on forever just posting against myself

D
Lets move it to its own subforum where the three members that use it can go nuts on it.
.. :freako: That would be kind of interesting, actually. Imagine the stats we could run on that!

also, yea the song assoc was a good one. it had a secondary function as a "musical discovery" thread, so to speak.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

quarterpound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by quarterpound » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Jay wrote:I'd love to hear from other established members on this... what suggestions/preferences do you guys have?
Sorry to jump on this after so many have posted... but I think the 'modmins' are handling it just fine. As long as the forum stays small enough that you can personally approve each newcomer's post history, I think it's a perfect system. It's enough to warrant a little time and effort, and cheaters get rejected. The only suggestion I would make is making it still more clear -- maybe during the signup process as well as at the top of the main page -- that post padders will not be approved for the B/S/T. Of course I say all this as a [l]user, so if you guys decide it's too much work to approve them all then that's your business! Great forum, probably the best-maintained of any I belong to; keep up the good work!
Goner wrote:As a database programmer, I feel the need to point out that single word posts take up very little room. Multi-word posts, for that matter, also take up very little room... 350*very little still = very little... That whole thread is very unlikely to take up any appreciable amount of space...
Now I could be speaking out of hand here but I doubt the admins are too worried about one-word posts taking space on a server. It's the taking up space all over the reading space of the forum that is sometimes an annoyance. To be honest, as a user, they don't annoy me often. However, there are a few threads I will never go into, because all the casual one-word jokes... aren't funny enough to warrant loading a whole page for every ten words. I do it occasionally, post an all-emoticon post or something, so I'm not crying holier-than-thou. I'm just trying to bring up a rational thing to consider wrt other peoples' enjoyment. Actually it's best for me if those posts are confined to a small handful of threads; I'll never go into them and I'm sure you won't miss me either! ;) Just sayin

five
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by five » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:16 am

As a brand spankin' new member.. I'm dying to get my 50 posts in. So I understand the urge to "Pad" my posts quickly.

I'm a member of a lot of other forums, in other hobbies. I totally understand the need for rules around this, and I don't disagree with the 50 post rule. Though, for many new members, who are adults, are responsible, want to buy a new guitar, are excited, etc, etc.. it's frustrating, and annoying.

In the end, I get it.. I hope to get to 50 quickly, so I can start browsing, as I've been doing on eBay, and other sites for months. I'm sure I'll post a couple "Nice guitar" comments out there over the next couple weeks.. and hopefully I can ask some good questions, and be a contributing members as well.

It's too bad there is too many scammers, etc out there that we have to make things difficult for real people to just be a good member, and purchase some guitars.

Looking forward to it!

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:06 pm

five wrote:As a brand spankin' new member.. I'm dying to get my 50 posts in. So I understand the urge to "Pad" my posts quickly.

I'm a member of a lot of other forums, in other hobbies. I totally understand the need for rules around this, and I don't disagree with the 50 post rule. Though, for many new members, who are adults, are responsible, want to buy a new guitar, are excited, etc, etc.. it's frustrating, and annoying.

In the end, I get it.. I hope to get to 50 quickly, so I can start browsing, as I've been doing on eBay, and other sites for months. I'm sure I'll post a couple "Nice guitar" comments out there over the next couple weeks.. and hopefully I can ask some good questions, and be a contributing members as well.

It's too bad there is too many scammers, etc out there that we have to make things difficult for real people to just be a good member, and purchase some guitars.

Looking forward to it!
You're looking at it wrong. This isn't ebay or craigslist's. :mellow:

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 pm

tribi9 wrote:You're looking at it wrong. This isn't ebay or craigslist's. :mellow:
+1 :fp:
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

five
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by five » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 am

tribi9 wrote:
five wrote:As a brand spankin' new member.. I'm dying to get my 50 posts in. So I understand the urge to "Pad" my posts quickly.

Looking forward to it!
You're looking at it wrong. This isn't ebay or craigslist's.
Ok, please, enlighten me. :)

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Bump for post padders...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

It was 7.25am today when the latest post padder hit this site...I just spent the past 15 mins manually deleting all his posts.

fun times, fist thing in the morning :fp:
Resident Spartan.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 am

yeoman's service for sure. bump for the dozen or pads so that followed - :o
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:50 am

Last week I got rid of that guy who was not-so-subtlety trying to sell his '62 Jag in the open forum. He was warned once, ignored the warning and tried again, and then started padding to get to 50. I changed his for sale post to "I'm a dick who breaks forum rules even after being warned" and then deleted all his worthless posts.

Like stated above, its not really the bandwidth, it's the annoyance of having to skip over a million threads with "sweet" or "looks cool" in them. And that particular guy had abused the good will of the forum by gaining information he could use just for a sale. That's what bothered me most.

In some threads, he padded by just posting a picture of his guitar or link to his band's page.... with no accompanying text or pertinence to the thread.
Q. Are we not men?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:47 am

fullerplast wrote:Last week I got rid of that guy who was not-so-subtlety trying to sell his '62 Jag in the open forum. He was warned once, ignored the warning and tried again, and then started padding to get to 50. I changed his for sale post to "I'm a dick who breaks forum rules even after being warned" and then deleted all his worthless posts.

Like stated above, its not really the bandwidth, it's the annoyance of having to skip over a million threads with "sweet" or "looks cool" in them. And that particular guy had abused the good will of the forum by gaining information he could use just for a sale. That's what bothered me most.

In some threads, he padded by just posting a picture of his guitar or link to his band's page.... with no accompanying text or pertinence to the thread.
I totally missed all that! What was his username?
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 am

Northsider was his name. He seemed cool at first, just wanting to know how he could tell the age of his Jag. He posted a lot of pics and got a lot of info and compliments. Next thing we know he's posting a price and dropping pics of it into threads, along with one-word or otherwise useless posts.
Q. Are we not men?

quarterpound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by quarterpound » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:50 am

well done sir!