Terminology FAQ?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: Terminology FAQ?

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:33 am

johnqui wrote: I've  some problems also with the FWIW,IIRC... :(
And i found that : http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

It changed my life  :)
AAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse

;D ;D ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Mighty Tom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mighty Tom » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:56 pm

Mighty Tom wrote: Okay, I appreciate the extra help with the internet lingo, but that's really not what I was looking for. Can we get some definitions added to the other acronyms? TS stands for Thin Skin...Okay, but what does "thin skin" mean? What's the difference between Made In Japan and Crafted In Japan?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Okay, I appreciate the extra help with the internet lingo, but that's really not what I was looking for. Can we get some definitions added to the other acronyms? TS stands for Thin Skin...Okay, but what does "thin skin" mean? What's the difference between Made In Japan and Crafted In Japan?
Thin Skin is a newer line from Fender which feature a very thin coat of nitro paint (like the originals). They differ from reissues, not only in regard to the thin paint, but they have a more modern (flatter) fretboard radius.

There was no substantial difference in the guitars MADE IN JAPAN and CRAFTED IN JAPAN when that logo switched around 1997. I think they thought it just sounded classier. Note that Squiers are also "Crafted" in China or Indonesia. Later on (approx 2000) after Fender stopped importing the Japan guitars, Japan started making them from alder as opposed to basswood. Some people believe the switch in body wood somehow coincides with the switch in logo from MIJ to CIJ, but it doesn't. It's also a rumor that CIJ is a designation that signifies a higher-level model "for Japan-market only". The fact is that Fender USA stopped importing them to avoid competition with the AVRI line. But there has never been a separate high-end line made for Japan only. They're all the same, and all pretty damn good.

Ironically, there was a brief run of CIJ released in the USA in 2003 (Q-series) that came in CAR and LPB without the matching head. They ended up being blown out for $399 at Musician's Friend and the like. They pop up on eBay sometimes listed as "special high-end Japan-only" models and sell used between $650 and 800!

:o

Hope this helps.

:)
Last edited by fullerplast on Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:19 pm

fullerplast wrote:
Ironically, there was a brief run of CIJ released in the USA in 2003 (Q-series) that came in CAR and LPB without the matching head. They ended up being blown out for $399 at Musician's Friend and the like. They pop up on eBay sometimes listed as "special high-end Japan-only" models and sell used between $650 and 800!
I own one of those Jags.  I payed $650 for it.  How did you know?  :o

Of course it came with Novaks, and a G&G Poodle plush HSC.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Actually, the MIJ vs CIJ story is a bit more meaningful than "they changed it because they felt like it." Basically they changed it because they changed manufacturers. MIJs were made by a different company to CIJs.

1982: Fender Japan starts production with FujiGen Gakki having the manufacturing contract. The "Made in Japan" (MIJ) logo is used.

1984: CBS sells Fender to its current owners and while waiting for a new USA factory to begin production, Fender Japan models and leftover USA stock were mostly sold in the USA for a few years.

1992: The first "Crafted in Japan" (CIJ) models start appearing due to Dyna Gakki taking over some of the manufacturing while FujiGen Gakki were expanding their operations.

1996/1997: "Crafted in Japan" (CIJ) is used instead of "Made in Japan" (MIJ) because Tōkai and Dyna Gakki take over the manufacturing contract from FujiGen Gakki.

Full story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Japan
-=264=-

Mighty Tom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mighty Tom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks for the explanation. Now you've just opened up a few more acronym-related questions. :D
fullerplast wrote:...that came in CAR and LPB without the matching head.
RumorsOFsurF wrote:...a G&G Poodle plush...
Say what? ???

I assume HSC means Hard Shell Case.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:09 am

CAR and LPB are colors.  Candy Apple Red and Lake Placid Blue respectively.

G&G is a company that makes hardshell cases for Fender, and poodle plush is a specific texture on the inside of some of those cases.  It looks like crushed velvet.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:18 am

Poodle plush....

FINGER SHOT!!  ;D