Torn between 2 Jaguars

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Torn between 2 Jaguars

Post by robroe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 am

hanskung wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm
pscates wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:30 pm
robroe wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 am
The decal on the player one is the worst looking jaguar decal I have ever seen in my life. Im being completely honest when I say I won't buy it until they change the decal. It's the only thing holding me back. Refuse to buy a new guitar for that much money to redo the headstock on my own because fender for whatever reason with this guitar are complete morons
It's not traditional Jaguar style, for sure...but neither is the guitar itself. I can live with this, because of that. It just looks like a 50's/early 60's Strat, Tele or Jazzmaster decal, with the spaghetti style logo and the small sans serif (is it Futura, or some variation?) model name. And that, honestly, is my favorite Fender decal look of all time. It would look weird if Fender put this on any vintage or reissue-oriented Jaguar (simply because it's not accurate). But in the context of a modern, updated Jaguar with a humbucker, non-traditional switching and color options like Tidepool, it doesn't bother me a bit. It's already "not a Jaguar" in the traditional sense, so if none of those other features/specs are pegging my "it's not what I picture when I think of a Jaguar" meter, I can let the logo slide. :)

I think they did this same sort of thing on their Jaguarillo a few years ago...spaghetti logo and the small model name to the right? That guitar, while the same body shape/scale length as a Jaguar, was different enough (pickups, switching, bridge and repositioned tremolo) that it made it "okay", IMO, to deviate from the traditional Jaguar decal.

I do love the classic Jaguar decal/logo (that cute little "R" with the "tail", etc.). But I don't mind it missing from weirdo, modern and/or non-traditional Jaguar variants like this. I can honestly say I've never based a purchase decision on a decal/logo; but there's a first time for everything. I'm only 52, so (hopefully) there's plenty of time to find out. ;D
I'm mostly concerned about tone.
That's in your fingers

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am

hanskung wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 am
manwithtitties wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 pm
i kinda liked the classic player HH jag back before it was replaced by the vintera. The roller coil splits were really cool. I dont have a lot of nice things to say about the player HS jag. Looks ugly without all of the chrome, terrible stock bridge. would frankly prefer a squier classic vibe jag with a bridge hot rail.
Well after all these comments, I don't want either. I'm getting a new Squire Jaguar hh.
the golden one with the black headstock looks amazing! I wish they'd offer a Vibrato version too - like with the Deluxe Jazzmaster (the Iron Man one with the J Mascis neck) - then I'd be all in! :-) but if you don't need a vibrato a hard-tail is the way to go!

I always loved the look of the Olympic White Classic Player Jaguar - and about 5 slipped through my fingers in 2019... I ended up with a VM Jaguar instead and put my Surf 90s in it (and a Lipstick behind the bridge) - and it turned out to be a great guitar!
And I still do want to at least try the Ocean Turquoise Vintera 60s Jaguar - but Europe hasn't seen a single shipment since February 2020 it seems...

Cob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Cob » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am

Personally, as a dude with two Jags -- one with full sized humbuckers and one with single coil sized humbuckers -- I would go with the Player. The Player model doesn't have an AOM, and for playability AOM bridges with 9.5' radius necks are a no go for me. Also, I'm going to echo what others have said -- you're going to want to have a non-Fender humbucker ready to go for whichever Jag you choose. Any Fender humbucker that isn't a Wide Range tends to be, well, awful in my opinion.

BUT, if the bridge doesn't matter to you, then I think the Vintera HH might be worth it! It certainly looks a lot better than the player aesthetically.

hanskung
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hanskung » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:37 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am
hanskung wrote:
manwithtitties wrote:
i kinda liked the classic player HH jag back before it was replaced by the vintera. The roller coil splits were really cool. I dont have a lot of nice things to say about the player HS jag. Looks ugly without all of the chrome, terrible stock bridge. would frankly prefer a squier classic vibe jag with a bridge hot rail.
Well after all these comments, I don't want either. I'm getting a new Squire Jaguar hh.
the golden one with the black headstock looks amazing! I wish they'd offer a Vibrato version too - like with the Deluxe Jazzmaster (the Iron Man one with the J Mascis neck) - then I'd be all in! :-) but if you don't need a vibrato a hard-tail is the way to go!

I always loved the look of the Olympic White Classic Player Jaguar - and about 5 slipped through my fingers in 2019... I ended up with a VM Jaguar instead and put my Surf 90s in it (and a Lipstick behind the bridge) - and it turned out to be a great guitar!
And I still do want to at least try the Ocean Turquoise Vintera 60s Jaguar - but Europe hasn't seen a single shipment since February 2020 it seems...
At this point I my musical career I'm not using a Vibrato, but I have a Strat....so I just ordered the gold Squire.

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:10 pm

Both models seem awful IMO. I feel Fender hasn't done justice to the Jaguar in the lower-priced range for a while now.

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm

hanskung wrote:

I guess you picked the wrong week to ask about the Player and Vintera Mod HH Jaguars! ;D
As they say, One mans Trash is another Mans Treasure.
I own a CP Jaguar HH in olympic white (similar specs as the Vintera Mod HH) and I think it looks, feels, plays and sounds amazing.
But that's just like, my opinion, Maan.
Good luck with the Squier Jag HH, they look great.
May the Fuzz be with you

hanskung
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hanskung » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:39 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am
hanskung wrote:
manwithtitties wrote:

A Trem would be nice but at this stage of my playing a Trem is a distraction

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:45 am

hanskung wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:39 pm

A Trem would be nice but at this stage of my playing a Trem is a distraction
In what way?