AO Series Discontinued

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AO Series Discontinued

Post by DavidG » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:33 am

Downsman wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:09 am
The one guitar still on my wish list, is a vintage correct 65 Jaguar in Candy Apple Red with matching headstock. Vintage ones turn up now and then, but usually at least £4.5k, often a lot more. Outside my price range. And what I don't understand is why it seems that only Fender Japan has ever done a reissue of one. I've been put off those ones by mixed reviews of the quality of the pickups/wiring etc. And the used prices are aren't too far off used AV or AO models. And they're poly and I'd love a nitro one in the hope that it might age nicely over time.

I wonder what the chances are Fender might bring in matching headstocks for whatever they replace the AO with? I always assumed everyone would feel the same way about that CAR finish with matching headstock but maybe it's a more niche taste than I thought?
They did do the thin skin run around 12 years ago. Appreciate they are thin on the ground now. But I remember importing a brand new one from daves guitars several years ago. It was one of the finishes which seemed to hang around for ages.

I think they've been holding back CAR the last few years, after hammering it before then. Who knows, maybe next year will be the return.

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:17 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:19 am
If you could live with the 9.5 fretboard radius, you could get an AO Jag in candy apple red then have the headstock refinished man.
I looked into that with a CAR Squier VM Jag I had, and was told by a couple of refinishers that they couldn't guarantee matching the colour for CAR due to the nature of how it's done. With the Squier I also had the decal dilemma about wanting it to look like a 60s guitar, when there were no Squier Jaguars in the 60s, but wasn't comfortable with putting a Fender decal on it. Ended up selling it when I got my Sunburst AV65 Jag. I also prefer 7.25, but don't know if that would be a deal breaker.

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:34 am

DavidG wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:33 am
They did do the thin skin run around 12 years ago. Appreciate they are thin on the ground now. But I remember importing a brand new one from daves guitars several years ago. It was one of the finishes which seemed to hang around for ages.

I think they've been holding back CAR the last few years, after hammering it before then. Who knows, maybe next year will be the return.
Just watched the Wildwood video for that guitar, which I didn't know about. Looks amazing but unlikely one will turn up here in the UK. I was thinking about not seeing much CAR lately. I read people talking about CAR as the same old option Fender always trots out, but right now the only Fender CAR options on anything i can find are in their Player Plus series. Definitely time for a comeback. Interestingly, I only really like it on Jaguars. There's something about that metallic red and all that chrome that screams 60s style.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:18 am

Downsman wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:34 am
DavidG wrote:

Just watched the Wildwood video for that guitar, which I didn't know about. Looks amazing but unlikely one will turn up here in the UK. I was thinking about not seeing much CAR lately. I read people talking about CAR as the same old option Fender always trots out, but right now the only Fender CAR options on anything i can find are in their Player Plus series. Definitely time for a comeback. Interestingly, I only really like it on Jaguars. There's something about that metallic red and all that chrome that screams 60s style.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-jagua ... 635-2958-0

Could be a shout man

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:18 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-jagua ... 635-2958-0

Could be a shout man
Yeah, that one has turned up every time I search "Fender Jaguar Red" for months now. Not exactly priced to sell. But my gut feeling, which could be wrong, is it wouldn't quite scratch the itch. If those older Japanese ones do need new pickups and wiring that would take it close to used AV prices but without the nitro which it would be nice to have. I'll probably hang on to see what replaces the AOs, and/or whether by any chance a Road Worn Vintera option comes out next year. Andertons did a special run Road Worn Strat in aged CAR that would look perfect on a Jag (we can dream can't we? ) I'm not exactly short of guitars at the moment so a chance for a bit of patience practice.

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:07 am

Downsman wrote:
DavidG wrote:

I agree, CAR Jag with matching headstock is pretty great (reminds me of Richard Oakes from Suede). I don't think it tops LPB, but it's close.

What about the MIM Road Worn Jag? That came in CAR and I always thought that it looked pretty nice in photos. Don't think it had a matching headstock though :(

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:09 pm

guitarsammy wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:07 am
Downsman wrote:
DavidG wrote:

I agree, CAR Jag with matching headstock is pretty great (reminds me of Richard Oakes from Suede). I don't think it tops LPB, but it's close.

What about the MIM Road Worn Jag? That came in CAR and I always thought that it looked pretty nice in photos. Don't think it had a matching headstock though :(
Fuck yes Suede!!!!
He tore the fuck outta that Jag- Saturday Night, Beautiful Ones, Lazy (vid).

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 am

guitarsammy wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:07 am

If Fender doesn't release any nitro CAR matching headstock Jags next year, I'll probably go all out to hunt one of those CAR Road Worn ones down. They do look great even without the matching headstock. The only Road Worn ones I saw before were Sunburst so didn't know they were out there.

alvinstraight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alvinstraight » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:55 am

Picked this up in almost new condition a few weeks ago. Compares favorably to CS JM that I tried recently, which was 3.5 times the price of this. I think the AO series will maybe be reconsidered now that it has been discontinued. Before, I just thought of them as less great AV guitars, but having now owned one for a while, I would say they are more or less on par.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:24 am

alvinstraight wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:55 am
Picked this up in almost new condition a few weeks ago. Compares favorably to CS JM that I tried recently, which was 3.5 times the price of this. I think the AO series will maybe be reconsidered now that it has been discontinued. Before, I just thought of them as less great AV guitars, but having now owned one for a while, I would say they are more or less on par.

Aye, I’d agree man. When I was Jazzmaster shopping a couple of years ago I a/b’d an AV65 and an AO. I went with the AO as I literally couldn’t tell the difference and I could get the AO brand new. The fretboard radius difference, I can never really feel it man. Love your guitar byeway man, enjoy.

Ice Tre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ice Tre » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm

mastermorya wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:28 am
*prays so hard that the next vintage reissue jazzmasters actually have vintage frets instead bullshit "vintage tall" frets* If Fender somehow can escape its current mania for "vintage tall" and "narrow tall" frets, a great and mighty peace shall descend upon this earth.
I'm with you on that. The narrow tall frets is why I won't even consider buying a modern Fender guitar.
I wish they would have just kept the AV65 line going. I would have bought one. Now I can't afford to buy a used AV65 Jazzmaster, they're so rare and expensive.

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:16 am

Ice Tre wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm
mastermorya wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:28 am
*prays so hard that the next vintage reissue jazzmasters actually have vintage frets instead bullshit "vintage tall" frets* If Fender somehow can escape its current mania for "vintage tall" and "narrow tall" frets, a great and mighty peace shall descend upon this earth.
I'm with you on that. The narrow tall frets is why I won't even consider buying a modern Fender guitar.
I wish they would have just kept the AV65 line going. I would have bought one. Now I can't afford to buy a used AV65 Jazzmaster, they're so rare and expensive.

I've chilled out a little on this. I have a Vintera 50's Road Worn Telecaster that I immediately loaned to a friend after I got it because I was annoyed by the frets. I got it back and they don't bother me as much, plus it sounds great generally. But I'd prefer vintage frets on vintage reissue style guitars, generally, for sure.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:39 am

I mentioned the frets on my AO Tele to the tech I use locally and he said if I got annoyed by them being particularly tall (they're not really, in the grand scheme of things) that he could just do a very very heavy fret dress on them and they could be pretty much the same as vintage wire in one go. Just would have to grind them down more than usual and then crown them again. He said it wouldn't take him much longer than a usual session of getting grooves out of worn frets and would do it for an extra £20 just to cover the little bit of extra effort. Whoever you choose to use might want a little more, or even no more, on top of a usual setup or whatever.

Seems to be a pretty easy solution to something so many people seem to have issue with and would open up all the guitars you're ruling out to your market.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

SSquirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Slight necro, but re:finishes. Can I just get a good JM, Jag and Bass VI, all in LPPB w matching headstocks? LPB def my fave Fender color. Altho I have been eyeing the Shell Pink matched VI at CME. Blocks and binding would be cool as well but not required. :)

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:47 pm

Suspicious that matching headstocks aren't going to happen outside of special runs - needing a good head and body match makes a lot of work relative to a plain headstock and they sell every AO Jazzmaster they make so there's not a lot of impetus.

Wildwood doesn't seem to be doing new Thin Skin runs these days, which is a bummer.