Nash guitars

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Marc
Expat
Expat

Re: Nash guitars

Post by Marc » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:49 am

I think regardless of OEM parts Nash are just plain awful. Maybe they sound ok but the relic work is just the worst.

I have no idea how he has stayed in business.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:01 am

Marc wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:49 am
I think regardless of OEM parts Nash are just plain awful. Maybe they sound ok but the relic work is just the worst.

I have no idea how he has stayed in business.
Agreed.

And the trouble with this kind of relicing is, the more it's done, the more people are exposed to the look & think that's what a well used guitar looks like.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:05 am

pakhan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:29 pm
Thanks everyone, that was really helpful;

I guess if I was looking for a new JAzzmaster or a Jag with a max pricing of Nash who would you recommend?
I'm going to suggest you take a look at Fender guitars.

I've only played one Nash in a store, it was very underwhelming to me. I couldn't see any way that it was better than what Fender makes and a lot of ways in which it was worse, the neck sucked, the Buzz stop sucked, the stupid Gibson-type aftermarket bridge sucked, and the finish sucked.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:11 am

But otherwise? :P
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:38 am

Unpopular opinion incoming: I have never understood buying any guitar that copies a Fender shaped body that isn't Fender or G+L (or some other Leo related endeavor). At the end of the day...they're all knock-offs, and throwing all of the opinions about how it's an improved design because they add a body cut or something yadda yadda at me won't change my mind. Especially from people in creative fields - why not just try making an original body shape? Ah, yes, right, it's hard.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:07 am

The G&L Doheny is an option. It doesn’t have the rhythm switching but I’m pretty sure I can get all the tones that a Fender JM has and the build quality is top notch. Might be worth checking out.

tamerofbantha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tamerofbantha » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 am

the bridge they use is truly an abomination. it's a shame too because they have constructed a few jaguars that at least to my eyes looked pretty cool. i dunno what the deal is with their consistency. sometimes they spray a perfect 3 tone burst and other times it looks like a dogs dinner. would be cool if they put out some better stuff in the future but i think they peaked back in like 09

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:13 am

Telliot wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:11 am
But otherwise? :P
Otherwise it sucked also.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

tamerofbantha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tamerofbantha » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am

buzzstops are like a grown man wearing khaki cargo shorts, socks w. sandals, and a baseball cap indoors
Marc wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:46 am
tamerofbantha wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:19 am
hahahahahaahahahaha
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:14 am

Fixed it for you
Buzzstop should be called “Harmonic stopper”.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:30 am

graceless wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:38 am
Unpopular opinion incoming: I have never understood buying any guitar that copies a Fender shaped body that isn't Fender or G+L (or some other Leo related endeavor). At the end of the day...they're all knock-offs, and throwing all of the opinions about how it's an improved design because they add a body cut or something yadda yadda at me won't change my mind. Especially from people in creative fields - why not just try making an original body shape? Ah, yes, right, it's hard.
Why do I want someone to "make an original body shape" that probably isn't as ergonomic as the Jazzmaster? It's a 60-year old design, any idea of exclusivity went out the window a long time ago and everyone involved in designing it is long dead. The private equity freaks who own Fender have no more claim to the Fender designs as a concept than anyone else.

OTOH, with a non-Fender, a buyer can have it how they want it instead of the single set of features that comes with the single American Original Jazzmaster they offer.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 pm

wooderson wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:30 am

Why do I want someone to "make an original body shape" that probably isn't as ergonomic as the Jazzmaster? It's a 60-year old design, any idea of exclusivity went out the window a long time ago and everyone involved in designing it is long dead. The private equity freaks who own Fender have no more claim to the Fender designs as a concept than anyone else.

OTOH, with a non-Fender, a buyer can have it how they want it instead of the single set of features that comes with the single American Original Jazzmaster they offer.
You don't seem to like Fender all that much, do you?
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:54 pm

I don't care about them, no. I like my Fenders fine but it's just a name on a headstock and that name comes with a number of compromises.

Offsets are in a special niche because there are fewer quality alternatives (you can get crap like the Nash for the most part or you can wait six months for a custom build) - when it comes to something like a Stratocaster or Telecaster there's really no reason to be brand loyal to Fender.

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm

I remember there was a prolific thread a tech wrote that assessed one of his client's Nash jazzmaster style guitars. Apparently it was one of Nash's earliest offset builds before discontinuing it. I think the most egregious stuff was not seating the pickups properly with decent foam and the correct screws to adjust high, many defects in the finish that could not be covered with aging/relic and everything being out-of-box allparts hardware and parts.

I remember him saying that it seemed like the builder took the allparts body out of the box and sprayed it. Almost if they didn't do any surface prep or rounding over flat edges.

I think the only positive thing mentioned in that thread was how good the neck was. Allparts do have really good necks. I also recall some fallout from that thread.

EDIT: found it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47291 I wish the images were still up!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:17 pm

graceless wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:38 am
I get that and haven’t gone real hard in on trying to get a knockoff version but definitely understand the want people have. Actual Fenders, like original 60s guys, are infuriatingly expensive, and the reissues they’ve done are limited in both spec and aesthetic appointments so if you want a specific thing that technically exists in Fender cannon but is impossible to buy from the modern iteration of the company, and would cost you as much as some new cars cost in 2022, then fuck it do a Danocaster or whatever.

For example, I want a CBS Styled Jaguar in Lake Placid Blue - Fender simply doesn’t make that outside of the Custom Shop, but for $1,500 I can get pretty close with MJT and at this point, the dudes at MJT are just as close to being a ‘real’ Fender as the FMIC, in my opinion. Like no matter what, if it isn’t from like 1980-before, you’re buying a replica anyway.

Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to say here…

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:25 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 pm
wooderson wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:30 am

You don't seem to like Fender all that much, do you?
I love the old Fender designs but I really don't care for the current Fender company much. I've bought and played more duds and dogs from Fender in the last 20 years than Gibsons. I'll happily settle for putting together my own "F" partsocasters to the specs I want and with the QC I can take some pride in. That includes amps too.
She/Her