There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:39 pm

dave19er wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm
I asked Wildwood, who reached to their Fender rep, and it sounds like the Johnny Marr is kind of the only USA Jaguar for a while out. Which is a huge disappointment to me, if true.
Fender's just keeping us on our toes.

They finally offer a US-made Mustang after going almost 4 decades without one, so it figures they'd go ahead and phase out Jaguars. Right after the 60th anniversary models, too.

Shortscales can't get no respect. No respect at all.

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:22 pm

I think we'll see a lot less out of the Fender USA factory for a few years at least, what with the large scaling-back they've been doing already it makes sense to restrict the output to the most popular models.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:50 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:12 pm
Doesn't that also mean then that the, much slated, AO60s was just a (almost universally adored) AV65 with merely a different radius and frets?
Of course, these guitars are similar, but they went away with the flash coat as well as the less vintagey looking logo, and my critique covers the entire AO range compared to the AV. Also the original AV line had matching headstocks which they removed, obviously to save on cost. Only special run AO60s JMs got them, a Charcoal Frost and Sherwood Green run comes to mind.
Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:15 pm
And I really doubt if most people sweat the details as much as this forum, a pretty Jazzmaster is probably all anyone really needs.
And that's precisely why I am bringing these things up in this exact forum because many here are very knowledgable on the Jazzmaster's history.

Anyways, it seems like no one here likes me shitting all over their AO60s guitars or their new AVII favourite. Man OSG surely has gotten soft now that the majority seem to let finer details slide. ;D
welshywelsh wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:50 pm
algeriet wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:29 am
So in short, it seems to me that they only went 90% there in order to save cash and let the less knowledgeable enjoy their new guitars
Looking down on people who don't know everything about offset guitars is not cool. Thankfully Fender aren't so judgemental!
Absolutely not looking down on anyone, just stating facts. Many will not have owned or played a vintage Jazzmaster, especially one from a specific year that this model claims to recreate, and so Fender saw it fit to just make a slight change in their Jazzmaster AO model, add blocks and an F-plate, new pickups (honestly the PV65s were really good) and charge even more.
DavidG wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:34 pm

A downgrade for who? Maybe for vintage purists, but it certainly wasn't for me. The AO Jags I have owned have always had a feel and build quality a level above any other Jag model I have owned (vintage, avri thin skin, av 65, you name it).

I get the disappointment at the changes to neck radius and the fact that the finish didn't peel off the second you looked at it. But AO line were never inferior guitars.
Inferior as a product; cheaper finish and less vintage details that ultimately lead to an emulation more than a true reissue, which the new AVII claims to be except it's in reality simply a continuation of the AO series except they're using the AV name to bring back interest from the haters such as myself, but other than that 7.25" I am not fooled. 😤 Also clearly I mean a downgrade for vintage purists as that was the AV line's entire point.
Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:57 pm
One of these is the American Vintage 65 Jazzmaster and the other is the American Original 60's Jazzmaster. Can you tell the difference?

All they changed was the fretboard radius and the frets.
Mate, night and day difference. From a beautiful mid 60's target burst to just a run of the mill sunburst, different logo, different finish, and the radius and frets like you mentioned. I owned a AO60s body for the longest time and I'm confident that the tort was different as well, but that I did not care so much about since all modern tort is pretty meh. Also removing the matching headstocks on a D&B neck was a sin.
dave19er wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm
I asked Wildwood, who reached to their Fender rep, and it sounds like the Johnny Marr is kind of the only USA Jaguar for a while out. Which is a huge disappointment to me, if true.
Fender's website says it's available in my country (Sweden) so I'd definitely just reach out to your local shop and confirm.
I used to have the LPB Marrguar and that was one killer guitar, and one that I truly wish I never sold, but I did so when I moved to Germany thinking it was no big deal... but it was. :fp:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:08 am

algeriet wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:50 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:12 pm
Doesn't that also mean then that the, much slated, AO60s was just a (almost universally adored) AV65 with merely a different radius and frets?
Of course, these guitars are similar, but they went away with the flash coat as well as the less vintagey looking logo, and my critique covers the entire AO range compared to the AV. Also the original AV line had matching headstocks which they removed, obviously to save on cost. Only special run AO60s JMs got them, a Charcoal Frost and Sherwood Green run comes to mind.
The AV65's weren't vintage correct in their finish. No undercoat and the super thin flash top coat was not as-per the 60's originals. Single line instead of double line tuners too. Every reissue has had it's inaccuracies, this AVII66 is no exception.

And, FWIW, in the 14 years I've been a member here there's always been plenty of people who don't sweat the little inaccuracies and just enjoy their guitars as well as people like yourself who are really irked by them...the range of tastes in what is (well, was) a relatively niché world of guitars on here is what makes it so interesting a place.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:11 am

I understand that if they were calling it a reissue or replica or something then there would be some grumbling about minor details. But this isn’t that.

Still not as bad as a post on Reddit where someone was bemoaning a 70s vinyl reissue that had a barcode on the packaging :fp:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:07 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:08 am
The AV65's weren't vintage correct in their finish. No undercoat and the super thin flash top coat was not as-per the 60's originals. Single line instead of double line tuners too. Every reissue has had it's inaccuracies, this AVII66 is no exception.
You have a point, but there's a difference between not using the exact nitro formula (that was closer than what the AO and the AVII seems to will have) etc and just opting to not increase the size of a headstock and reuse the tooling from a previous run. I will refrain from repeating myself as my point has obviously come across, but what Fender set out to do between 2012 and 2017 was a far cry from what we have today.
sal paradise wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:11 am
I understand that if they were calling it a reissue or replica or something then there would be some grumbling about minor details. But this isn’t that.

Still not as bad as a post on Reddit where someone was bemoaning a 70s vinyl reissue that had a barcode on the packaging :fp:
Now we still have not seen exactly what Fender will call it as it currently is unreleased, but if it's anything like the previous AV/AVRI series, then they're calling it a 1966 reissue and that's what's so lame about it.

Also, while I maybe do not agree with the person on Reddit, I feel their struggle. 🙏

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:23 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:07 am
Offset user Surfgreen58's '66 Jaguar. Imagine if Fender released these as part of the series, it would be incredible.

Fucking yes, in every way it’s my ultimate dream guitar that I would happily trade every guitar I have for, and we came close I guess but still no cigar. Fingers crossed for one day but I feel like them doing LPB on the Jazzmaster would mean that even if there was a Jag, it wouldn’t also sport the same color.

For the love of god please, please just do the Jag I beg of you Fendess

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:32 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:23 am
Fucking yes, in every way it’s my ultimate dream guitar that I would happily trade every guitar I have for, and we came close I guess but still no cigar. Fingers crossed for one day but I feel like them doing LPB on the Jazzmaster would mean that even if there was a Jag, it wouldn’t also sport the same color.

What if it didn’t have a CBS headstock?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:52 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:23 am

Maybe the way to your final guitar nirvana is to sell it all and get the Custom Shop to build you it?

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:59 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:32 am
What if it didn’t have a CBS headstock?
Buddy, get your own material!
algeriet wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:14 am
But would you have bought it if it was exactly the same except with the smaller headstock? ;D

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:01 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:52 am
Maybe the way to your final guitar nirvana is to sell it all and get the Custom Shop to build you it?
That's a cheap shot, dude. Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:05 am

Just got that Jazzmaster done so of course within a week of me getting the thing they announce a real fender version of the fucking thing

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:09 am

The CBS headstock is ugly, whereas the original Jazzmaster headstock is beautiful.
I’m not complaining. I can’t wait to see the LPB one.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:11 am

algeriet wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:19 am
From what I can observe, the new AVII66 (is that the new acronym?) is an AO60s with an F-plate, new pickups,, block inlays and a different radius.
Right but like, what else is it supposed to be? The AOs were pretty much the same as the AV ones with a few small differences. I just don’t know what they could have done all that differently with these things.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:36 am

algeriet wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:01 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:52 am
That's a cheap shot, dude. Tsk, tsk, tsk!
No cheap shot at all, I meant it in all seriousness. We ALL know MB's ultimate dream is a LPB B&B Jaguar just like the picture. Rather than waiting and forever compromising maybe the best way is to Custom Shop one. It's cheaper than a vintage (certainly these days) and it can be exactly what he wants. That's one of the things the CS is there for!