Fender 60th Anniversary ’58 Jazzmaster (photos inside guitar)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
hlamp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender 60th Anniversary ’58 Jazzmaster (photos inside guitar)

Post by hlamp » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 pm

Sharing some photos of the insides of a Fender 60th Anniversary ’58 Jazzmaster. (Next posts below have more photos of the pickups, electronics and tremolo system.)

The 60th Anniversary ’58 was an American-made model that came out in 2018, featuring an ash body and 2-color sunburst finish. (Not to be confused with the 60th Anniversary Classic Jazzmaster, which also came out that year. The 60th Anniversary Classic was a Mexico-made guitar with different colors, specs and pickups.)

Fender’s serial number lookup website says the pickups in this model are Pure Vintage '65 Single-Coil Jazzmaster pickups. Although they changed the pickup covers to black, to match the earliest 1958 models.

The lead circuit pots in this guitar are both 1Meg. The rhythm circuit volume pot is 1Meg, and tone pot is 50K. This is what Fender used on the original run of the Jazzmaster. The 50K tone pot in the rhythm circuit, which is darker sounding than the lead circuit, is like only using the 0 through 2 settings of the lead tone pot.

250K and 500K pots are the most common pots. Conventional wisdom is to use 250K for single coil pickups and 500K for humbuckers. A lower value pot rolls off more treble, so 250K is commonly used on single coils and 500K is commonly used on humbuckers (which are darker than single coils). 1Meg pots are usually considered very bright and trebly. Different pots can affect bass, punchiness and other things, so people will have different opinions which pots work for certain pickups or achieve a certain tone.

The orange capacitor on the lead tone pot is 0.030uF. The orange capacitor on the rhythm circuit is 0.020uF. This matches the schematic for an original Jazzmaster on guitarHQ.com.

Most Fenders usually use a 0.046uF cap, and Gibsons usually use a 0.022uF cap. The higher value on a cap, the wider the frequencies that are rolled off when you turn down the tone knob. A lower value cap only rolls off the highest frequencies when you turn down the tone knob.

The 60th Anniversary ’58 Jazzmaster is very bright and trebly sounding, and can get close to ice picky like some Telecasters. If you watch YouTube videos featuring this model, you can hear the brightness. The brightness can be easily dealt with by changing out the pots. Although some people prefer the 1Meg pot to stay “vintage,” or they feel lower value pots affect the unique sound of the Jazzmaster. For now, with this guitar (and with bright Telecasters), I usually turn the volume knob a notch, maybe about 1/8 of a turn down from 10, to tame the harshness on the top end. I usually find that sounds better than turning down the tone knob a notch. (Lollar Guitars’ website mentions they find using a 500K pot to sound like turning a 1Meg pot down to 7 or 8 on the volume knob.)

Fender has used different pickups, pots and caps on more recent Jazzmaster models. For example, the American Vintage II 1966 Jazzmaster uses 1Meg pots in the lead circuit. But I saw a schematic on this forum showing the American Professional II Jazzmaster using 500K pots and a 0.022uF capacitor in the lead circuit.

hlamp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender 60th Anniversary ’58 Jazzmaster (photos inside guitar)

Post by hlamp » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:32 pm

Photos of the pickups and pickup cavity:

hlamp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hlamp » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:33 pm

Photos of the electronics:

hlamp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hlamp » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:33 pm

Photos of the tremelo system and cavity:

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:08 am

Interesting Fender say the pickups are 65 Pure Vintage as they are normally grey bobbin. Along with an ash body that would be a pretty bright combo so I wonder if they are in fact something else with a different voicing.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:19 am

I love the look of the original Jazzmasters, and was bummed out that I missed this model when it was available.
Someday I’ll put together my own 58. Thanks for posting.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:48 am

I don’t think they’re PV65s either. They would be grey and not have bevelled pole pieces, maybe AVRI62s perhaps if not some kind of special for the 58?

Lovely guitar though, one was for sale near me before prices went stupid, and it hung around for ages and the price kept dropping, but I was a peak guitar at that point and couldn’t justify the purchase. Of course, still kicking myself now :fp:

hlamp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hlamp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:28 pm

Marc wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:08 am
Interesting Fender say the pickups are 65 Pure Vintage as they are normally grey bobbin. Along with an ash body that would be a pretty bright combo so I wonder if they are in fact something else with a different voicing.
Francer wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:48 am
I don’t think they’re PV65s either. They would be grey and not have bevelled pole pieces, maybe AVRI62s perhaps if not some kind of special for the 58?
I originally had doubts these were Fender's Pure Vintage '65 Jazzmaster pickups, and your comments are confirming the doubts.

Fender's original website for this model said "Vintage-Style Single-Coil Jazzmaster" for both pickups. However, I later looked up my guitar on Fender's serial number lookup website, and their spec page said "Pure Vintage '65 Single-Coil Jazzmaster" for both pickups.

On my guitar, I measure DC resistance on the neck 7.80k and bridge 7.77k. Fender's website and box for the Pure Vintage '65 Jazzmaster pickups says DC resistance for both neck and bridge as 6.8k. Even accounting for some variation from manufacturing tolerances and room temperature in taking readings, my pickups measure pretty far off the product specs.

The grey bobbins and bevelled pole pieces you mention also point to these pickups not being Pure Vintage 65 Jazzmaster pickups. (Although interestingly on Sweetwater's website, the photos of the Pure Vintage 65 Jazzmaster pickups they show do have bevelled pole pieces.)

PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 01101010 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:50 am

Edited
Last edited by 01101010 on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:11 pm

Beveled pole pieces I bet they're AVRI 62 pickups.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!