Fender Pro II Jazzmaster Owners -- series position hum?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
WilburBufferson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Pro II Jazzmaster Owners -- series position hum?

Post by WilburBufferson » Wed May 31, 2023 8:10 pm

mauri wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:03 am
timtam wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:40 pm
mauri wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:55 am
The wiring in the AM Pro II is a total mess when you open it up. I don't know if they have corrected it, but there was an error in the schematics at one point (push-push wiring order). There was another thread about this if anyone is interested, I can try to find it.
There is a link in my post above to the discussion of that wire colour error in Fender's wiring diagram.
I know. I was part of the the thread and noticed the error as well.
On this point, is the wiring in the guitar correct? I.e., is it just the diagram that is incorrect?

mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mauri » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:15 pm

WilburBufferson wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:10 pm
mauri wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:03 am
timtam wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:40 pm

There is a link in my post above to the discussion of that wire colour error in Fender's wiring diagram.
I know. I was part of the the thread and noticed the error as well.
On this point, is the wiring in the guitar correct? I.e., is it just the diagram that is incorrect?
The original wiring scheme on Fender site was wrong; the push-push connections were reversed. Wiring was fine on what they have shipped. I haven't checked if they have corrected the wiring schematics since I've gotten rid of it at this point.

WilburBufferson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WilburBufferson » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:57 pm

I did get a response from Fender. They told me to take it to an Authorized Service Centre to have it looked over, which I get, but I replied to say that I was asking more for the specs, not to try to repair a potential problem. They didn't respond yet.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:53 pm

The wiring diagram is still wrong. The actual wired guitars were always correct. In fact the diagram error was only noticed because tammyw had traced out the wiring manually on their guitar before the official diagram was released (which never comes when the guitar is released, and sometimes only months later, and occasionally never eg American Performer Jazzmaster). That diagram error has only been publically discussed here AFAIK. So at Fender or an authorized service centre it's possible they would assume that the diagram is correct.
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... master.pdf
... as linked on the guitar's product page under Support ...
https://www.fender.com/en-AU/electric-g ... 70700.html
For anyone reading this in the future, in case it has changed by then, the erroneous version currently linked above is version "Dec 14, 2020 - PR5864 - Rev. A."

The actual problem with the displayed wiring of the push-push pot's coil tapping switch is as outlined in the discussion I linked earlier in this thread. As noted there, strangely the diagram for the left handed version of the guitar is correct (handedness does not affect coil tapping).
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... ter_LH.pdf
"May 3, 2021 - PR5865 - Rev. A"
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

WilburBufferson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WilburBufferson » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:40 pm

Hey Wilbur,
Yes it will still be hum cancelling, but series is higher/fuller output so any remnants of hum will likely be more noticeable in that position than in parallel.

Regards,
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
17600 N. Perimeter Dr. Suite 100
Scottsdale AZ 85255

Nedavine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nedavine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:44 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, I just picked one up and the hum is INSANE. I've had a look and can't see any bad wiring but what is weird is that if I touch one of the pick up screws it makes even more loud noise like touching a cable. Some kind of short maybe? Had no issues when I did a continuity test

Nedavine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nedavine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:53 pm

Ended up shielding it today with copper tape which grounded the screws and now the excessive sound issues are gone. Overall still not sure about the pick ups. I don't hear much different from middle to neck with the stock pups, but will see at least noise is gone now.

WilburBufferson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WilburBufferson » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:56 am

Interesting...when you say the noise is gone, are you talking about noise when the pickups are in series or just in general? There is a grounding wire that is screwed into the body cavity, but I don't understand how that does anything when the cavity itself isn't shielded from Fender (I.e., the tab mix contact with poly finish only.)