Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
PsychoSurfer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Post by PsychoSurfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 am

I went with a black guard on my Squier JMJM... how do you guys feel about all black knobs and switches and leaving the pick up covers cream... would that look cool or am I getting carried away with the black?

ABK1986
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ABK1986 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:20 am

PsychoSurfer wrote:I went with a black guard on my Squier JMJM... how do you guys feel about all black knobs and switches and leaving the pick up covers cream... would that look cool or am I getting carried away with the black?
Just tried to design a JM with those colors in the Dressing Room, it looks quite good, but I would personally prefer a tort pickguard and white knobs. If you like it, then go for it :D

josheboy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by josheboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 am

Update on mine:

Installed an AVRI Trem plate and a Staytrem arm. The arm sticks out a little further than the stock arm, so I am having to adjust my playing a little. But the arm stays nicely and overall I really like the response. The stock arm didn't wobble, but I got a clicking noise when I used the trem. I tried all sorts of tricks to get rid of it, but never could shake it. But with the new trem, no clicks. It seems to have a much bigger range as well. If you are interested in this mod, go to: http://stores.ebay.com/staytrem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The service was excellent, he answered my questions immediately, and I would recommend him any time.

I think the arm cost me $45 with shipping, or something like that. Plus I spent about $50 on the AVRI trem. So this mod cost about $100 all together.

I still need to install the Antiquity 1 pups I got for it. I took it all apart yesterday just to see what I was getting into and and I see that I will need some foam blocks. I am also considering doing some kind of shielding. I see people putting in those copper looking plates, but shouldn't you also do the sides and the back of the pick guard as well? (The original gold ano pick guard had a lot of sheilding in the back. The black plastic one that i have now has none). I heard some folks using glue and aluminum foil and doing it themselves. Is this true? Does this work?

Also, every time I change my strings, the bridge gets buzzier for a while. I want a Mastery, but the price of it PLUS the price of a tech swapping out the thimbles is a little prohibitive for me right now. Sigh... someday.

I am still absolutely in love with this guitar!

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:22 am

josheboy wrote: Also, every time I change my strings, the bridge gets buzzier for a while. I want a Mastery, but the price of it PLUS the price of a tech swapping out the thimbles is a little prohibitive for me right now. Sigh... someday.
Get the Wilkinson roller bridge. It's a drop-in replacement, works great, and is way cheaper than the mastery. I have one on my JMJM and there's no need for anything else - you might have to shim your neck some though.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-B ... p_866.html
Local milk person

blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blake480 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:54 pm

- Oly white VM squier body
- a used squier maple neck i purchased here a few months back ( Fender waterslide decal, bone nut, kluson deluxe locking tuners)
- All new pots and switches (CTS pots 250k volume, 1meg tone, switch craft 3 way, and cloth wiring, no rhythm circuit)
- Lollar bridge pup, and standard VM duncan in neck)
- AVRI mint green guard. Fit perfectly
- AVRI trem
- NOS white witch hats
And its pretty freakin awesome. I'm debating putting the rosewood neck back on, since the maple one doesn't totally fit right. But still plays pretty good.

caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caliban » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 am

Recently installed AVRI pickups in mine, sounds great, but the rythm circuit still sound pretty dark. So I was wondering, which caps and pots in the sqjmjm should be swapped, to make the electronics somewhat more vintage correct? Or maybe the rythm circuit is supposed to sound this dark :-)

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 am

caliban wrote:Recently installed AVRI pickups in mine, sounds great, but the rythm circuit still sound pretty dark. So I was wondering, which caps and pots in the sqjmjm should be swapped, to make the electronics somewhat more vintage correct? Or maybe the rythm circuit is supposed to sound this dark :-)
Yea rhythm circuit is supposed to be a darker sound. I wouldn't worry about it.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

DanGleabols
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DanGleabols » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 am

Dokterrock wrote:
josheboy wrote: Also, every time I change my strings, the bridge gets buzzier for a while. I want a Mastery, but the price of it PLUS the price of a tech swapping out the thimbles is a little prohibitive for me right now. Sigh... someday.
Get the Wilkinson roller bridge. It's a drop-in replacement, works great, and is way cheaper than the mastery. I have one on my JMJM and there's no need for anything else - you might have to shim your neck some though.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-B ... p_866.html
What radius is that bridge? Couldn't seem to see one on the gfs website.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 am

I believe it's a 12" radius. You can shim the saddles to match the radius of your fingerboard - I have it matched to a neck with a 7.25" radius.

In fact it is mentioned and linked to on page 2 of this very thread. But here it is again. http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 45#p809394
Local milk person

dan_abnormal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dan_abnormal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 am

Hiflyer wrote:Here's mine:

All the electronics, the pickups (Mojo pickups), the pickguard and the bridge have been changed. It was a great guitar, it's now a killer guitar !
Tomorrow I'll get a JMJM, brand new.

I have a couple of Lollars pickups lying around and maybe will test them against the stock ones.

If I had to open the guitar, I'd consider an electronics upgrade, so my question is: what did/would you put in it and why? Any opinion about the RS Guitarworks wiring and electronics kit?

I see the Wilkinson roller bridge gets lots of love around here, so maybe that could be another uprdage in the near future.
Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space

DanGleabols
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DanGleabols » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 am

I've not touched the electronics in mine yet, so I'll let everyone else talk about pots and shizzle however I strongly recomend replacing the toggle switch if you are messing with the electronics.

Mine has a habit of occasionally cutting out when switching to the bridge pickup - this happened since I got it new and I've seen loads of complaints across the web about this issue with this J mascis squier.

dan_abnormal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dan_abnormal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:34 am

DanGleabols wrote:I've not touched the electronics in mine yet, so I'll let everyone else talk about pots and shizzle however I strongly recomend replacing the toggle switch if you are messing with the electronics.

Mine has a habit of occasionally cutting out when switching to the bridge pickup - this happened since I got it new and I've seen loads of complaints across the web about this issue with this J mascis squier.
Thanks, this is helpful. I'll check it out. Have read something about switch issues.
Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 am

blake480-

keep that maple neck please. it looks amazing.

jmmc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jmmc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 pm

just a twist

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 pm

not sure about the gold guard - but that shell pink is awesome! mint guard would look ace!
how did you get that anodized guard worn in/reliced? steel wool?