Fender American Ultra Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American Ultra Jazzmaster

Post by kgbAttack » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:36 am

chrisrnps wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Then I watched theJM Fender video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHv5hmKZ62g - and I've been totally suckered in. :-* :-* :-*
Okay, that is pretty sick.

If I was in the budget range to get the nuke-clown-burst one, send the ash body off to be stripped and refinned in trans white, while the neck’s being refretted in stainless with an LSR nut fitted, and Mastery bridge and trem in the mail, maybe.

But that would just be silly.
This video is indeed pretty awesome. Although I don't think he switched the pickup in series mode when playing the distortion at the end of the video, which was something I was looking forward to hearing.

Anyone knows: a) is the S-1 switching system available as 3rd party? and b) what are the pot values of the ultra series JM?

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:33 am
Not me. I'm totally done with that concept, and I have begun to realize that there's no good reason I should be a slave to the sounds of the 1950's in a quest for some kind of electric guitar authenticity. Why do I care what Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton sounds like? I don't play their music.

Besides, while I might want to add in a bunch of distortion and feedback, those are all things that I control. 60 cycle hum isn't something I control and there's no good reason for it to be there, nobody wants to hear it, it just sounds like what it is, old or bad equipment. Fuck that.

I used to object to noiseless single coil pickups just because they weren't any good, they didn't have the dynamic range nor high end of typical single coils and also didn't have the things that make humbuckers good despite their own limitations.

But the second that noiseless single coils exist that are good, or there is another solution, I am all over that. I am certainly not married to 60 cycle hum.
All the Noiseless I have heard sound too much HiFI for me. I never heard a Noiseless I like. I hope those new pickup succeed. And well, I had noisy guitars, but my Jazzmasters are not one of them. I guess I am married to 60 cycle hum :D
Last edited by Arthon on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:45 am

I love the way these look (the Cobra blue - I'm a long time hater of anything sunburst) and I like the contouring of the neck joint and lower horn (although seeing as I'm not really a lead guitarist and don't often venture above the 15th fret I probably wouldn't get much benefit). The one thing aside from the astronomical price that puts me off the is the neck radius at 10-14" compound. Way too flat for me. I'm happy enough on a 9.5" as it's what I grew up with and even happier on a 7.25" (pooh the comfort) but when you get into double figures it's straying into Gibson territory which I've never gotten on with.

If I had the money I would get one and swap out the neck (although thinking about I'd have to drill new bolt holes) and make myself play higher up the fretboard to get my money's worth.

chrisrnps
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisrnps » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Also, why go to the trouble of a shred-esque compound radius neck and all the high-fret-access contour bits, and then not add the little shelf with a 22nd fret?
'Excellent! A little more practice will make you a regular whale. Now, if I may trouble you to unlace my back and front plates two holes more, I'll try that fascinating bend that you say is so easy. Won't Painted Jaguar be surprised!' ~ Rudyard Kipling

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Played the SSS strat today and if felt amazing. Super comfortable neck and way more switching options with the S1.

Really impressed. Even the blue looks good in person

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 pm

kgbAttack wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:36 am
Anyone knows: a) is the S-1 switching system available as 3rd party? and b) what are the pot values of the ultra series JM?
Fender has used the 4PDT 'S-1' switch for a while, doing different things in different guitars (series-parallel in the ultra JM) ...
https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... l-options/
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ing_System

You can buy them, on the back of different value pots ...
https://darrenriley.com/product-categor ... -switches/

The actual pot values will have to await someone opening up an ultra, or the official parts/wiring manual ... which often takes some months to appear.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm

I've used an S1 on one of my Jazzmasters for years now. I use it on my Joe Barden "two-tone" JM pickups. The fun thing about it is that I could use one switch to change both pickups from full mode to tapped mode, instead of needing one switch per pickup.

Then I ended up wanting a second, to give me that greater degree of control. It's fun having a little button in the top of a knob instead of a push/pull or push/push (which I find impossible to use if you keep your knobs set to anything other than 10 - good luck keeping it in the same position when changing switch positions rapidly).

So far they've only been available in 250 and 500k pots. I've never seen a noiseless pickup that was designed for 1meg, but I suppose they could release a new one for JMs specifically. I have more of a suspicion that it'll just be the 500k.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Anyone else see the weight on these at Sweetwater? The two Cobra Blue ones are 8lbs 10oz each, and the two Plasma Burst ones are 9lbs 6oz and 9lbs 10oz, respectively. The other colors aren't in stock yet. So much for choosing lightweight woods for their Ultra line :fp:

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:08 am

timtam wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 pm
kgbAttack wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:36 am
Fender has used the 4PDT 'S-1' switch for a while, doing different things in different guitars (series-parallel in the ultra JM) ...
https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... l-options/
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ing_System

You can buy them, on the back of different value pots ...
https://darrenriley.com/product-categor ... -switches/

The actual pot values will have to await someone opening up an ultra, or the official parts/wiring manual ... which often takes some months to appear.
Thanks timtam! I have a series-mod on my AVRI Jag - I like it - not sure about rewiring my JM with different pot values but I'll wait until the Ultra JM pot values are published.

DrPete
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrPete » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 am

Must have watched that Fender video with the Mocha JM about 20 times now... :fp:

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Arthon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am
All the Noiseless I have heard sound too much HiFI for me. I never heard a Noiseless I like. I hope those new pickup succeed. And well, I had noisy guitars, but my Jazzmasters are not one of them. I guess I am married to 60 cycle hum :D
I've had a few sets of Lace Sensor in Comp Mustangs that sounded really good, but they sounded turd in a beater Strat I tried them in. They went back in the Mustangs.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

ellengtrgrl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ellengtrgrl » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:30 pm

I think I'll stick with my Ocean Turquoise, American Original. I paid a nice chunk of change for it only a couple of months ago. Also, I don't care for Modern D (read thin) necks like the American Ultras have - I prefer the chunkier neck my American Original has. For me, that is the biggest deal breaker for the American Ultra Jazzmaster (and many other Jazzmasters for that matter) - its thin neck. Thin necks just don't work for me, since I play classical style with my thumb behind the neck - thin necks make my hand feel like it's trying to act like a C-Clamp. Other than that, the American Ultra seems like a nice (abeit even more pricey than my American Original) Jazzmaster. I will reserve judgement on the Noiseless Jazzmaster pickups though, until I hear an American Ultra in person, or play a guitar loaded with the Noiseless Jazzmaster pickups . Oftentimes to me, Fender Noiseless single coils sound kind of blah.

As for the complaints about the American Ultras not having stainless steel frets - that's kind of a moot point for me. You see I have to get any new guitars I buy, refretted with Jescar EVO Gold hypoallergenic fretwire (refret jobs aren't cheap - it cost me over $400 to get my new, American Original Jazzmaster refretted), due to the fact that I have a severe allergy to nickel, and a major allergy to chromium (which of course, is a major component of stainless steel). I ignore having a refret done to a guitar at my own peril, if I'm going to spend any significant time playing it - my immune system goes bonkers from nickel and chromium, and I get such mega dermatitis all over my body that I can wind up looking like burn victim (it happened back in 2014 - when I was diagnosed with having nickel and chromium allergies). And to answer your unspoken question - yes I cannot use nickel or stainless steel strings on electric guitars. Luckily I found electric guitar strings I can use (I had to search through over 100 different product lines of electric guitar string to find them) - Ernie Ball Cobalts. I tell you, the things I have to do, to keep playing guitar (been playing for 40 plus years). ::)
Last edited by ellengtrgrl on Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:35 am

Where are the titanium frets already?

If there's one thing Fender should have copied from Gibson, it's the titanium zero fret nut. What's so great about a bone nut anyway, is it just another traditionalist fetish?

So has anyone ordered one yet? I checked the local shops, but there was none to be seen. That cherry burst looks nice with the aged pearl guard. Twice almost ordered one online on impulse, but then decided to buy a new espresso machine instead.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am

I really like the concept and I'm intrigued. It totally gets the sounds I'd be into in that Fender video for sure.

I think having a volume for each pickup when in the 3 way mode would be great...unless I'm misunderstanding the electronics set up, is that how it works?

I actually use the "Jazz" circuit a lot when I'm doing loops. I use it for a quasi bass lines, as I palm mute, sounds super groovy, and I also use it for certain fuzz tones, so very useful for me. But, having cool out of phase tones could be awesome. This may be a great recording guitar for sure.

However...I would have to put a Mastery bridge on it as a 9.5" radius bridge on a 10-14" compound radius guitar is a bit of a fail for me.
.....and the weight thing...I would want one that is 8.1 lbs and under, and that may prove to be the biggest deal breaker for me and this model.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Well, I couldn't hold out, managed to find the plasma burst. It's the second heaviest guitar I own at a whopping 9lbs 11oz. :o
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.