...so, were/are the Vintera II a failure?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ...so, were/are the Vintera II a failure?

Post by GilmourD » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:57 am

BMWRider wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:24 am
This quote came from a post I made a week ago:

"I plan to pull the trigger on a Squier VI soon, because I can't justify paying almost $2000 before tax on a niche instrument. Most of the MIM models seem to follow this pattern for me these days."

On Friday, I went and put a deposit on a 3TSB Squier VI. Yesterday, I was out picking up last-minute Xmas gifts, when I stopped in at one of the stores I frequent. There on the wall was a LPB Fender VI, just waiting to be played. I plugged it in to the same amp as I have at home (Traynor YCV50), and started to play.

I don't know if it's due to playing through copies of my gear, but that Vintera sounded fantastic and played beautifully! I know it's almost $1300 more than the Squier, but I may have to look into the price of upgrades to make the Squier sound and play as well as the Vintera!

About the only feature I wish hadn't been included with the Vintera is the truss rod adjustment at the end of the fretboard. Decisions, decisions...
I think there's a point where first-hand experience can change opinions and add value.

Sure, the Vintera II series is EXPENSIVE! But so are milk, gasoline, gas and electricity, cars, food, clothing, toys... [Tom trails off muttering an interminably long list of really expensive things in 2023]

Anyway, I do feel like the Bass VI's, as well as the Mustangs, pop color-wise, unlike the Jazzmaster and Jaguar. However, I also feel like Fender's colors in the late '50s just started getting interesting and Fender's colors in the '70s got boring, so they fit with their eras. It leaves me hoping that there will be '60s variants of both with more interesting colors. Give me a D&B '60s Jaguars with matching headstock in Candy Apple Red, Shoreline Gold, Lake Placid Blue, and Burgundy Mist.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:39 am

BMWRider wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:24 am
This quote came from a post I made a week ago:

"I plan to pull the trigger on a Squier VI soon, because I can't justify paying almost $2000 before tax on a niche instrument. Most of the MIM models seem to follow this pattern for me these days."

On Friday, I went and put a deposit on a 3TSB Squier VI. Yesterday, I was out picking up last-minute Xmas gifts, when I stopped in at one of the stores I frequent. There on the wall was a LPB Fender VI, just waiting to be played. I plugged it in to the same amp as I have at home (Traynor YCV50), and started to play.

I don't know if it's due to playing through copies of my gear, but that Vintera sounded fantastic and played beautifully! I know it's almost $1300 more than the Squier, but I may have to look into the price of upgrades to make the Squier sound and play as well as the Vintera!

About the only feature I wish hadn't been included with the Vintera is the truss rod adjustment at the end of the fretboard. Decisions, decisions...
Good to hear a good experience with the Bass VI! It’s the one Vintera II that stands out for me. Whether it’s worth that much more than a Squier VI - possibly not and I’m certain you can make your Squier equally good. The Vintera is probably just easy mode as it seems like it wouldn’t need much, if anything, doing. That appeals to me as I already have a project list I can’t keep up with.

Jealous you’ve had a hands-on experience with one 😁 They seem to be rare as hens’ teeth around here.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:24 am

I'm a bit on the edge myself.
Black blocks n binding was my absolute über dream for over 20 years. I even had a neck like that built for my JM.
When i tried out the v2 Jag i was pleasantly surprised.

But sorry i just don't get mSelf to pay +€1200 for a MIM.
Bummer.

Hopefully they'll get a reduced soon or I'll find a used one.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:10 am

Yeah, I feel the same as many of you. I want the black Jaguar really bad, but I can’t bring myself to pay the nearly 2K Canadian for a MIM.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:55 am

I don't consider the Vintera II line a failure by any means - people have been buying them and/or will buy them if the guitar is the right one for them.

It's funny, I know US-made Fender guitars are high quality and MIM-made Fender guitars can be hit or miss. Sometimes, though, and this is just my feeling/impression, some MIM Fender guitars just have that mojo/vibe/personality, etc. that I bond with immediately. Many of the US-Fender guitars I've had, while great quality, were lifeless/sterile/lacking of that mojo, etc.

Years ago, I went into a Guitar Center to try out some amps - I think a Fender Blues Jr., Fender Blues Deluxe, and a Vox AC15C1. I didn't go home with any amps but the pulled-off-the-wall arctic white Fender Standard Telecaster just had "it" - played great, sounded great, the whole deal. The Tele came home with me that day. Long gone now due to all the gear buy/sell adventures over the years. Fortunately, my Vintera '50s Tele has that mojo/instant bonding thing for me - a total keeper.

I think it's worthwhile to try out any guitar first and see how you get on - if liking it but still put off by the price tag (understandable, for sure), then maybe wait for a used one or discounted one becomes available. Never say never, but if I go into a store, I'll usually try something out then go back home and try to find one used/discounted. Still a gamble as the used/discounted one may not be as nice as the one in the shop.

FWIW, my Vintera II '50s JM and '70 Competition Mustang have that mojo - for me. Happy to say that my AVII '61 Strat and '63 Tele also have that mojo as well, as does the Johnny Marr Jag.

Prices will ever go up for everything - it sucks but it's the current reality. Yeah, I'm getting to the age where I say, "back in my day, you could get this for half that price." However, when you come across a guitar that seems mostly (if not entirely) perfect to you in every way and you plan to hang on to it for as long as possible, maybe the price may become a secondary issue...for the right guitar.

Alternatively, we are in a golden age of options - boutique builders, small builders, parts-build projects you can take on, and other brands that are priced more reasonably.

For example, you could instead go with a parts-build that can be as close to custom shop level/boutique quality without the ridiculously exorbitant cost. Get a Fender-licensed Musikraft neck with specs that you choose (or if on a tighter budget get a Fender-licensed AllParts neck (with less options) or inexpensive after-market brand that suits you), get a MJT, BloomDoom, AllParts, etc. body that works for you (with the finish you want), then get the components you want in it. All for most likely under $2k. If you can't put it together/solder/finish or refinish as needed, it's not hard to find someone to help you or have a local guitar tech do it for you for a reasonable fee. Personally, putting together a parts-build project by myself bonds me even more to the guitar.

Another example is that we have, right here on OSG, some awesome, highly qualified builders/refinishers/resources to get you a guitar you want for as much as the cost of the MIM Fender Vintera II guitars if not a little less expensive. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Mojambo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mojambo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:39 am

mtotallywired wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:36 pm
Been out of the offset game for a while until this year...but I did get a chance to try out one of the Vintera II JM's before returning it. My experience, after owning many different JMs from vintage to AVRI, Japan, MIM & Squier...is that it's definitely better than the original Vintera, at least if we're talking about stock. It suffered from issues and QC in a number of ways though.

Firstly, being excessively noisy. I think Fender thought, just because they put a gold guard on it that the body didn't need to be shielded at all. My Vintera I 60s is one of the noisiest JMs I've ever owned as well - so it follows that trend. The pickups are better than the very generic ones in their predecessor, like a cheaper, not as nuanced sounding Antiquity I. For the price it'd have been nice to see all cloth covered leads but it's still all PVC coated wire again. The routes were left rough with little burrs and wood dust everywhere.

Was also glad to see rosewood back, but not gonna lie...mine came dry as can be and almost looked fake? It had a very papery kind of look to it, almost like how laminate wood flooring compares to real hard wood floors. Don't know if it's just my experience but that was definitely my impression, especially after working on so many of the amazing models coming out of Japan this past year, with many of them having almost ebony like rosewood fretboards...the difference was night and day.

More observations: the trem is also the same as what they've been using since the classic player came out. Made in Korea I believe. They just replaced the screw in collet with a pop in one, and updated the top plate to patent pending, and are now using the same flat top, brushed nickel trem lock buttons as the newer AVRIs but it definitely doesn't feel as smooth as an AVRI trem. Will def call it an improvement over vintera I bc I hated those screw in arms.

Lastly The fret ends on mine were sharp as heck too...and that's ultimately why I returned it. I could've easily addressed those things, but even for pro audio star's open box pricing at 1039 or whatever it was before tax...it was not compelling or inspiring enough to put the work into. For the same money, buy a guitar straight from Kinko Music in Japan - don't pay the scalper prices like Mike & Mike's on Reverb / Ebay for guitars that can be shipped with fees & import costs paid for, for the same money as a new Vintera II JM (and thats before taxes!!) The FSRs have the Alder bodies, vintage radius, cooler color options, way better craftsmanship, fully shielded, better pickups and they all come with CTS / switchcraft electronics / AVRI plastics now.

I'll second the sentiment that overall, they feel & sound maybe slightly better than a Squier. Glad for people who think it of theirs but for me its nowhere near the quality and fit and finish as the AVRI 62 or AV65s or MIJs. Are they a failure? Nah...but they're certainly not "best jazzmaster Fender have released in the last 10 years"
A very good review, noted.

I may end up taking the plunge with an MIJ after all.

Dr. Ooh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dr. Ooh » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:23 am

I've only purchased one Vintera II so far, the Competition Mustang. The quality is top notch, the setup wasn't great, but could be because of weather and humidity conditions when I got it. Setups are easy enough. I have no complaints about my Vintera II mustang, feels and sounds just as good as my American Performer Mustang & MG-63/73.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:38 am

Where I am (Canada) the major retailers here seem to only stock the core bread and butter guitars that they can sell. Lots of Player Series, some American ProII, LOTS of Squier. I hadn't seen an American Original on the wall since around 2019. And I have yet to see a single AVII. I've seen maybe a handful of Vinteras over the last 5 years.

I know the retailers hated it, but I actually miss the days when Fender used to require their dealers to stock specific quantities of all their product lines. They've gone away from that dealer model and now you only see what the dealers know they can move easily.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:41 pm

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:38 am
I know the retailers hated it, but I actually miss the days when Fender used to require their dealers to stock specific quantities of all their product lines. They've gone away from that dealer model and now you only see what the dealers know they can move easily.
As the former buyer for a decently sized independent retailer in New Jersey, Fender was never actually that bad, unless the days of which you speak are pre-2002.

Gibson, on the other hand, was horrific back then. They kept coming to us to be a dealer and we'd turn them down when the minimum opening order was basically more guitars from all of their lines than we had from all the other vendors we carried (Fender/Squier, Schecter, Peavey, Godin/Seagull/Art&Luthiery, Ibanez) combined.

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:29 pm

I've been considering my next acquisition being a Vintera II Bass VI, what's wrong with em?

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:31 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:41 pm
Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:38 am
As the former buyer for a decently sized independent retailer in New Jersey, Fender was never actually that bad, unless the days of which you speak are pre-2002.

Gibson, on the other hand, was horrific back then. They kept coming to us to be a dealer and we'd turn them down when the minimum opening order was basically more guitars from all of their lines than we had from all the other vendors we carried (Fender/Squier, Schecter, Peavey, Godin/Seagull/Art&Luthiery, Ibanez) combined.
That doesn't surprise me. It always seems that the Gibson inventory at many stores far outnumbers the Fender supply.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:04 am

RavenCrest wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:29 pm
I've been considering my next acquisition being a Vintera II Bass VI, what's wrong with em?
I’ve read cases of folk having issues with the stock bridge man, the usual really, not enough tension over the bridge, strings too skinny, etc. But, I’d love to have one and would do if I was a person with money. Same when Fender reissued the Electric xii.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:44 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:04 am
RavenCrest wrote:
I’ve read cases of folk having issues with the stock bridge man, the usual really, not enough tension over the bridge, strings too skinny, etc. But, I’d love to have one and would do if I was a person with money. Same when Fender reissued the Electric xii.
What I find odd/funny is the modern need to throw skinny strings on everything, including offsets. Yes, I have a Strat with a Floyd Rose that's tuned down half a step with 9-42s on it, but how else are you supposed to play early Van Halen? :w00t: However, that doesn't negate the fact that I've been running 11-49 D'Addario NYXLs on my Jazzmasters and they feel like the EXL110s 10-46 sets I put on my Strats and Teles. I imagine that it's the extra length of string behind the bridge that allows for a bit of extra flexibility. I'm actually tempted to try 12s on at least one of my Jags to see how that goes!

I also feel like there's a multitude of issues with setup from any manufacturer, not just Fender. When I worked for Guitar Center and the Den I unboxed A LOT of guitars. All of them needed to be tuned. Almost all of them needed the setup slightly tweaked (trussrod, bridge height, etc.). I know it may be just me, but any time I see complaints about out-of-the-box setup I usually have to take a breath cuz it's a pet peeve of mine. 😅 I've watched YouTube videos where checking to see if the guitar is in tune isn't a cheeky joke and I'm just left like :derp:

A good set of strings and possibly a shim in the neck pocket and those "folk having issues with the stock bridge" will probably be pleased.

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:31 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
RavenCrest wrote:

What's the best remedy for the bridge? Would the M1 Mastery bridge solve this problem?

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:13 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:44 am
Mondaysoutar wrote:
RavenCrest wrote:
What I find odd/funny is the modern need to throw skinny strings on everything, including offsets. Yes, I have a Strat with a Floyd Rose that's tuned down half a step with 9-42s on it, but how else are you supposed to play early Van Halen? :w00t: However, that doesn't negate the fact that I've been running 11-49 D'Addario NYXLs on my Jazzmasters and they feel like the EXL110s 10-46 sets I put on my Strats and Teles. I imagine that it's the extra length of string behind the bridge that allows for a bit of extra flexibility. I'm actually tempted to try 12s on at least one of my Jags to see how that goes!

I also feel like there's a multitude of issues with setup from any manufacturer, not just Fender. When I worked for Guitar Center and the Den I unboxed A LOT of guitars. All of them needed to be tuned. Almost all of them needed the setup slightly tweaked (trussrod, bridge height, etc.). I know it may be just me, but any time I see complaints about out-of-the-box setup I usually have to take a breath cuz it's a pet peeve of mine. 😅 I've watched YouTube videos where checking to see if the guitar is in tune isn't a cheeky joke and I'm just left like :derp:

A good set of strings and possibly a shim in the neck pocket and those "folk having issues with the stock bridge" will probably be pleased.

Totally man, agreed. Saying that, I had some minor issues with the stock bridge on my JM and opposed to fiddling around with it I just went Staytrem and didn’t look back. I run 12’s flats now, when I had said issues I was using 11s and knew the solutions, but the Staytrem just feels (if slightly dampening the sound a shade) solid.