Pre CBS Jaguar w/ stripped finish (Pics added)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pre CBS Jaguar w/ stripped finish (Pics added)

Post by johneeeveee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:41 am

Hi,
While I am pretty well versed in what most vintage Fenders with refins sell for, I am wondering how this computes to custom color guitars.

I am dealing with a 64 Fender Jaguar that is in great shape and all original EXCEPT the finish on the body and front of the headstock has been stripped to the clear coat (so the decal is gone as well). It was originally a custom color, and has the original mint pickguard that only came along with those finishes (sunburst and white had tortoise pickguards).

I realize that refins carry about 1/2 the value of a stock original guitar, but does the fact that it was a custom color (and has the mint pickguard), factor in at all? 1/2 the value of a custom color 64 Jag would be substantially more than 1/2 the price of a sunburst Jag.

This is a tough one, so I just figured someone here more knowledgeable than myself might have some insight.

Thanks in advance for any help - jv
Last edited by johneeeveee on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Pre CBS Jaguar w/ stripped finish

Post by Jay » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:04 am

Once the original finish and especially the decal is gone, there's no difference between a custom color and a stripped sunburst guitar. The additional value of the original mint guard over a tortoise shell one is the only thing you might pay a bit extra for.  So maybe a couple hundred MAX and more like 1-150 IMO.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 am

+1

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks folks,
Would you pay $1800 for such a guitar? It seems a little high to me, even though it's in really great shape as well as the case.

Thanks agin - jv

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 am

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much.  Out of curiosities sake, do all other aspects of the guitar check out? As in original case, mute, keys, etc. and doesn't need any costly repairs such as a refret.

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 am

Yep...  mute (no cover), good frets, single line klusons. Just the body and the front of the headstock have been touched (stripped). Actually has an earlier brown case.

I think I'm gonna pass and spend a little more for a all original Jag with some good old fashioned play wear :)

Thanks everybody. I look forward to hanging out here. - jv
Last edited by johneeeveee on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:58 pm

my 2 cents worth ...

I'd probably pay $1800 for a 65 or 66 jaguar (with binding  / dots  /blocks)  ... but not for a 63 or 64 ....  why ?  63 and 64 models aoppear easier to get than 65 or 66 with binding .... 

the white guard you speak of is a bonus, worth on ebay about US$120 - $150 ....  so you would have to fork out that extra $$$ if you wanted to do a custom colour.  The single line klusons are also a positive
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks again for the input.
I'm actually more of a fan of the dot/no binding pre-CBS Jags, for whatever reason. Just a personal preference.
The seller just accepted an offer from me so I'll have it tomorrow. I'll report back when I spend some time with it.

Peace - jv

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 pm

yes $1800 is a little steep..I and a friend both bought 100% original 'burst '66 jags with original cases for $2000 and $2200 respectively mine is 8/10 his is 9.5/10. Just to give you a guide

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:51 am

Thanks again for the reference info.

You guys are finding some great deals on Jags around here... where are you looking?

Thanks again - jv

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:08 am

hehe nothing special generally the two guitars we found were on ebay..if you cut through all the overpriced bullshit guitars on there you can find them. Burst jags are extremely common..

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 am

Ah...eBay. Yeah, there are definitely deals to be had there, but lots of overpriced stuff as you say. I have bought a few guitars through eBay, but you have to be so careful about changed parts and issues, as well as trusting that the seller knows what he is talking about. I agree though, with some patience and lots of pictures  and questions asked, you can get good deals there.

Thanks - jv

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:46 am

Sooo... I picked up the stripped 64 Jag today. It is totally stock (except for the finish of course) with a mint pickguard. I looked under the hood and lo and behold, it was a CAR finish before it was stripped. There is lots of red finsh in the control cavities and under the pickguard, and the only the front of the headstock was stripped. Word is that the original owner decided to sell his CAR Jag and thought it was kinda scratched up, so he stripped the finish to make it look "better". Too funny.

I took some pics of the cavities and such, but in the meantime here is a pic of the guitar I got from the seller:

The guitar plays well and sounds great. Only issue is that the tremolo arm seems to be stuck and I can't get it out. Anyone ever have this happen?

Thanks - jv
Last edited by johneeeveee on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:12 am

Congrats...  that's a cool guitar for sure! From the photo you've posted the decal looks pretty convincing.  Are you planning on a refin/restoration?

As for the trem arm, you might need to pop up the entire thing and take a look at the collet on the underside.  I imagine a little lubricant there might get it to release.  One of my vintage JMs is really tight there and it's a bitch to get the arm out but I rarely if ever remove them anyway so I don't worry too much about it.

johneeeveee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by johneeeveee » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Here's some pics that show the original color in the cavities. Maybe I should restore it to it's former CAR glory?