Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:50 am

bessieboporbach wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:22 am
I have a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster and a Vintera 60s (not 70s) Jag, & I'd say the Vintera is a much nicer instrument overall.

Both needed a basic setup, as would any new guitar, but the Squier needed a lot more "help" (fretwork and component replacement) to be gig ready. That being said, I do more or less like where the Squier is now.
I hate to keep going around in this circle with you, but I really feel like you got the statistical dud⁺⁺. I have eight currently-mounted Squier necks in my household that all have action lower than Fender's factory spec with no buzz without having had to touch the frets and two necks on my shelf that show level with a straightedge and rocker tool.

⁺⁺ 1% to 3% of all manufactured products can be defective in part or whole, regardless of industry

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:06 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:50 am
bessieboporbach wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:22 am
I have a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster and a Vintera 60s (not 70s) Jag, & I'd say the Vintera is a much nicer instrument overall.

Both needed a basic setup, as would any new guitar, but the Squier needed a lot more "help" (fretwork and component replacement) to be gig ready. That being said, I do more or less like where the Squier is now.
I hate to keep going around in this circle with you, but I really feel like you got the statistical dud⁺⁺. I have eight currently-mounted Squier necks in my household that all have action lower than Fender's factory spec with no buzz without having had to touch the frets and two necks on my shelf that show level with a straightedge and rocker tool.

⁺⁺ 1% to 3% of all manufactured products can be defective in part or whole, regardless of industry
It's cool. I actually currently have my CV Jazzmaster set up in Nashville tuning, so it has a function now and I've been playing it and enjoying it more than I was before, so it's all good.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:47 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:06 pm
It's cool. I actually currently have my CV Jazzmaster set up in Nashville tuning, so it has a function now and I've been playing it and enjoying it more than I was before, so it's all good.
Awesome! I think guitars should certainly bring joy, and I'm glad it's found a place in your heart.

I've just continued to confuse my now-guitar-playing wife with the difference between Jazzmasters and Jaguars since they look the same to her. LOL They just do different things withi the context of what I play. The JM is chimey and more polite in my world of clean, overdrives, and distortions while the Jag is jangly with cleans and light overdrives but can also be a feral beast with heavier stuff. So, like you, they have places but different places. LOL

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:10 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:47 pm
bessieboporbach wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:06 pm
Awesome! I think guitars should certainly bring joy, and I'm glad it's found a place in your heart.

I've just continued to confuse my now-guitar-playing wife with the difference between Jazzmasters and Jaguars since they look the same to her. LOL They just do different things withi the context of what I play. The JM is chimey and more polite in my world of clean, overdrives, and distortions while the Jag is jangly with cleans and light overdrives but can also be a feral beast with heavier stuff. So, like you, they have places but different places. LOL
All things being equal, I find that Jags and JMs tend to largely sound quite similar, Jags are maybe a bit darker naturally, but mainly the difference is in the feel which is quite drastically different. And of course the strangle switch adds a completely distinctive sound to the Jag when engaged.

I like both. I think Jags excite me a little more, but that might just be my lizard brain attraction to all the chrome.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:18 pm

bessieboporbach wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:10 pm
I like both. I think Jags excite me a little more, but that might just be my lizard brain attraction to all the chrome.
I do very much like the chrome plates. One day, probably WAY in the future after I've finished my current projects, I'll get a GuitarForm Juggernaut body set with Jazzmaster pickups so I could do the long-scale thing with JM pickups but the Jag look.