Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:59 pm

sciuri wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:09 am
Opinions between the stock pickup covers versus more aged looking ones from Fender?

Stock Squier:

Fender aged white:
Lol I misread and thought it was different guards and was ready to be like “these are the same” but the aged look awesome for sure

Is it just me or is the block size not as glaring on these? I see pics of the burst ones and it’s not as readily apparent that they’re different from like a typical CBS Jaguar. I’m sure they are but usually it sticks out like a sore thumb but that’s not happening with these?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 pm

I jumped at switching the PUP covers on my CV Jazzmaster. They make it DOPE.

2021 Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, September 07, 2021 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:01 pm

I always prefer aged white over white.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pm

Hey how is the stock bridge on these things? The stock one on my VM Jag was total trash but I know they updated at least the saddles on these. That wasn’t the problem, or the biggest one anyway, on my VM thing, but the plastic height screws and being to small for the threads were. People getting along with these any better?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pm
Hey how is the stock bridge on these things? The stock one on my VM Jag was total trash but I know they updated at least the saddles on these. That wasn’t the problem, or the biggest one anyway, on my VM thing, but the plastic height screws and being to small for the threads were. People getting along with these any better?
The stock bridge was absolutely fine for me on my CV '70s Jag, and two CV '60s Jazzmasters using D'Addario 11s strings.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:08 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
I’m pleasantly surprised with the stock bridge on mine! 1 degree shim, TI flatwounds, no buzz! My AmPro mustang-style bridge buzzes more than this one, so maybe I just got lucky with one and unlucky with the other. I don’t play that hard these days so I can’t comment on how prone the height adjustment screws would be to slipping down, but I haven’t had any issue with height yet.
Last edited by sciuri on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 pm

Fuck yeah sounds like they really did try with it that rules

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:19 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
I nail polished the height screws and its perfect now.

mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mauri » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 am

Reviving this thread, but I have an itch for Jaguar. Now that this guitar has been on market, what are the long term experiences with this? For 400 euros this seems tempting, even if I slap some pure vintage pickuos in right away this seems like a good deal. But is this the ”new j mascis jm” in terms of an affordable hem? My other options would propably be:

- Fender Vintera 70’s Jaguar
- Fender MIJ Late 60s Jaguar

I propably would want the MIJ jaguar the most, but this squier seems just too good of a deal to pass and it’s 1000 euros cheaper as well. But MIJ is the only one with a beefier neck. The C and modern C worries me a bit. My jazzmaster with a ”thick C” seems allready almost too slim. And those block inlays are not for me either, i dislike them, but this just seems such a good deal if the guitar is on par what I’ve been reading.

Any experiences with this one or even some cross experiences with those fenders which are currently available. The selection is quite slim. Ofcourse Reverb has some selection, but I’m interested with this one.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:56 am

mauri wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 am

I propably would want the MIJ jaguar the most, but this squier seems just too good of a deal to pass and it’s 1000 euros cheaper as well. …
And those block inlays are not for me either, i dislike them, but this just seems such a good deal if the guitar is on par what I’ve been reading.

Any experiences with this one or even some cross experiences with those fenders which are currently available. The selection is quite slim. Ofcourse Reverb has some selection, but I’m interested with this one.
Hey Mauri. We already talked in another thread, didn‘t we?
Vintera is 60s as well (except I missed a major release)
But from the Squier Classic Vibe series there is a new line with dots instead of blocks and binding and matching headstocks (which should be pretty much the same otherwise as far as I know at least)
Do you dislike the Squier Blocks or Blocks in general?
I could offer pics if you need to see the guitars next to each other.

mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mauri » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:57 am

I just don’t like block inlays in general. Nor matching headsets. I just don’t like the esthetics of those. But if the guitar would otherwise be mint I think I could live with those shortcomings ;D I think the main question is if the squier good enough as I’ve read, or should I just wait and shelf a bit more money for more expensive options.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:20 pm

mauri wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:57 am
I just don’t like block inlays in general. Nor matching headsets. I just don’t like the esthetics of those. But if the guitar would otherwise be mint I think I could live with those shortcomings ;D I think the main question is if the squier good enough as I’ve read, or should I just wait and shelf a bit more money for more expensive options.
I've had a metallic purple FSR CV70s Jag since April and I absolutely love it. Of my offsets it's the only one I purchased as a whole guitar and it was used. The pickups sound great and the neck has the right amount of chunk for me. The only thing I changed, and only because I wanted the lock for when I tune to drop D or if I break a string, was to put an AVRI trem on it. The stock trem was just fine.

I'd say that the CVs are the best bang for the buck in the guitar world right now. The offsets do need a neck shim sometimes but it's not the big scary issue some people lose their minds over. LOL

mauri
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mauri » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:27 am

Thanks GilmourD. The most inportant thing for me is that is this guitar good and does it sound like a proper Jaguar should sound line. And how is the wuality. I can live with block inlays etc, they don’t matter that much.

Hmm. There also seems to be Squier 60s Jaguar with limited numbers on the eu market. But not my colors. Seafoam green would be my go-to preference.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:01 am

mauri wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:27 am
Thanks GilmourD. The most inportant thing for me is that is this guitar good and does it sound like a proper Jaguar should sound line. And how is the wuality. I can live with block inlays etc, they don’t matter that much.

Hmm. There also seems to be Squier 60s Jaguar with limited numbers on the eu market. But not my colors. Seafoam green would be my go-to preference.
Squier quality in general since the Classic Vibes were introduced (and even shortly before that) has been pretty damn good compared to "the before times". When I started playing guitar in '94 Squier, outside of the occasional model like the ProTones, was not seen as a brand for good instruments. Now I could pull a Classic Vibe out of the box, give it a setup, and hop on stage. If I were currently in a band (drummer moved to NC and keyboardist had a baby turning him into a ghost) I'd be using my Squiers on stage and recordings outside of my Peavey Wolfgang (none of my Squiers have regular humbuckers or a Floyd Rose for crazy stuff).

Oddly enough, I'm not excited by the pastels (unless you consider Shell Pink... 🤤). My first one (the genesis of my SEVERE offset GAS) is the Anderton's/Chicago Music Exchange FSR in metallic purple I got back in April. My other Jaguar (I'll post a pic below) is a build I did with a CV neck and a Vintage Modified body that I did a "white-out" theme with. My Jazzmasters are Olympic White (CV neck and CV loaded body I got, but swapped pickups and a black anodized guard) and Lake Placid Blue (CV neck with a 40th body that I put the original guard and electronics from the Olympic White one on). Oh, and I'm potentially using Squier necks for both, but I'm doing two builds with Tonebomb bodies that I need rain-free weekends to paint, a Jazzmaster in Duplicolor Ford Medium Wedgewood Metallic and a Jaguar in some sort of redder metallic orange that's likely not quite as dark as Johnny Marr KO.

What are the FSR colors available to you?

The ONLY reason the OlyWh JM is disassembled right now is that I'm waiting to go over my best friend's house so I can use her Cricut and put something cool on the pickguard. 🤪

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:22 am

mauri wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 am
Reviving this thread, but I have an itch for Jaguar. Now that this guitar has been on market, what are the long term experiences with this? For 400 euros this seems tempting, even if I slap some pure vintage pickuos in right away this seems like a good deal. But is this the ”new j mascis jm” in terms of an affordable hem? My other options would propably be:

I propably would want the MIJ jaguar the most, but this squier seems just too good of a deal to pass and it’s 1000 euros cheaper as well. But MIJ is the only one with a beefier neck. The C and modern C worries me a bit. My jazzmaster with a ”thick C” seems allready almost too slim. And those block inlays are not for me either, i dislike them, but this just seems such a good deal if the guitar is on par what I’ve been reading.

I have a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster and a Vintera 60s (not 70s) Jag, & I'd say the Vintera is a much nicer instrument overall.

Both needed a basic setup, as would any new guitar, but the Squier needed a lot more "help" (fretwork and component replacement) to be gig ready. That being said, I do more or less like where the Squier is now.