Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII 12-String

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
AnArmyOfJuan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII 12-String

Post by AnArmyOfJuan » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:57 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:05 pm
Looks like GC is out of stock on these- if you want one, get it quick!

Musician's Friend still has white ones listed in-stock, I'm curious to see how long they'll stay that way.

Curiously, it seems both GC and MF have a used one on their respective websites, both listed without pics at $200 above retail. (Even though MF has them new!)
Yep, tried to buy the one at GC. Put it in my cart, entered my CC #, got an email stating that there would be an "extended shipping time". A week later it still hadn't shipped, so I called them and was told that they didn't have one, but they had a used one in NJ for $1200. Called my local GC to see if I could get that one for $999, but was told that I'd have to call the GC in NJ. Ended up going on Reverb and making an offer on one listed as being in excellent condition. My offer was accepted and it arrived 2 days later in brand new condition! Even still had the plastic on the pickguard and neck plate with a pretty decent setup and no sharp frets.

As an aside, I happen to have a Fender/G&G case for my Squier VM Bass VI, and although the XII fits in the case, it totally swims in it. I'll look into hard cases, but for now it'll live in my dual bass gigbag along with the Bass VI.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:15 am

Just wondering.... My LPB XII, which I've had for 18 months, has the worst case of fret sprout I've ever had. Obviously the pau ferro board has shrunk a little.

I've never really had much sprout on any of my guitars (I'm in the UK, without much in the way of climatic extremes), including other pau ferro boards. Maybe because it is wider than my other guitars...?

It's no bigggy, I can easily fix it, but I wondered if others have had the same?
All the cheeses....

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:49 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:15 am
Just wondering.... My LPB XII, which I've had for 18 months, has the worst case of fret sprout I've ever had. Obviously the pau ferro board has shrunk a little.

I've never really had much sprout on any of my guitars (I'm in the UK, without much in the way of climatic extremes), including other pau ferro boards. Maybe because it is wider than my other guitars...?

It's no bigggy, I can easily fix it, but I wondered if others have had the same?
Have you tried conditioning the board? During the late winter, I found mine was sprouting too, but the board was really dry.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:34 am

I picked up this pickguard:

https://reverb.com/item/36031221-wd-cus ... i-05f-faux

IRL it doesn't have the yellows that it does in the photo...but I think it still looks good.

I will put it on when I feel like changing the strings.

Stock:

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am

Thanks for posting. I’ve been wondering how close the WD pickguard matched the photo. Definitely an improvement over the dark stock guard, but not as much color as the image let’s on.

Anyone know how the vintage XII pickguards match the ARXII? There are a couple up on Reverb right now and while crazy expensive, would look fantastic if they line up well.

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:12 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:34 am
I picked up this pickguard:

Nice figuring in the fretboard by the way. That’s a score!

akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by akpasta » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:24 am

The WD pick guard looks great IMO. Don’t think a vintage one would fit I wouldn’t go that route if you couldn’t return it.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:58 am

Soniqfreq wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am
Thanks for posting. I’ve been wondering how close the WD pickguard matched the photo. Definitely an improvement over the dark stock guard, but not as much color as the image let’s on.

Anyone know how the vintage XII pickguards match the ARXII? There are a couple up on Reverb right now and while crazy expensive, would look fantastic if they line up well.
I think Spitfire has a template...but, none f the other PG makers seem to (Lava guard didn't, and Neagle didn't last time I checked).
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

eskmsaul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eskmsaul » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:51 am

Is it just me or did they barely make any of these in sunburst? I’ve hardly seen any of those since these launched, I’ve only really seen Oly White and LPB (that’s what I went for). Wonder if there’ll be a markup for sunburst in the future, they really do look great in person.

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:32 pm

I forgot about Spitfire. I’ll check them out. Their tortoiseshell looks really nice, but is also a premium price.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:13 pm

Old discussion .... But very cool guitar. I wish it would make the rounds again, I'd grab one. Set it up as a 9 string, 3 heavy flatwounds on E, A & D, doubles on the rest, with that "jangly" 8 on the 3rd string ....
(Today I picked up an old 9 string MIJ Alvarez acoustic and have been blown away with the versatility of this set up. Very focused bass, but great shimmer on the trebled.)
I'm a huge fan of the late, great Big Joe Williams. This Fender might do Big Joe too: doubles on the 1st, 2nd & 4th strings, open G tuned, with a call on the second fret .... Wow.
Cool (& cheap) to dream. Lol 😆.