Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII 12-String

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Draize
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII 12-String

Post by Draize » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 am

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:40 pm

The green wire doesn't look factory and looks like it was added later. Can anyone post pics of the wiring under the control plate to compare?
Well they didn’t finish the wiring on mine - https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/v ... 0#p1596308

My tone control had no cap or connection to the jack socket. The tone did nothing, but the guitar worked otherwise as the metal control plate provided the ground for the socket. I think there has been some Friday afternoon soldering on some of these!

Your problem sounds like a missing ground wire from under the bridge. I would expect there to be a wire from a hole under the bridge probably going to the back of a pot or to one of those solder tags screwed to the bottom of one of the cavities and then to ground on the back of the pots - have a look for one of those that has become detached. I don’t have my ARXII to hand right one to see exactly what mine has.
Stop me if you think you've heard this one before....

Draize
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Draize » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:06 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:40 pm
The green wire doesn't look factory and looks like it was added later. Can anyone post pics of the wiring under the control plate to compare?
Well they didn’t finish the wiring on mine - https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/v ... 0#p1596308

My tone control had no cap or connection to the jack socket. The tone did nothing, but the guitar worked otherwise as the metal control plate provided the ground for the socket. I think there has been some Friday afternoon soldering on some of these!

Your problem sounds like a missing ground wire from under the bridge. I would expect there to be a wire from a hole under the bridge probably going to the back of a pot or to one of those solder tags screwed to the bottom of one of the cavities and then to ground on the back of the pots - have a look for one of those that has become detached. I don’t have my ARXII to hand right one to see exactly what mine has.
I saw that! I ended up fixing it myself a few days ago and you're right about the bridge ground wire. I completely disassembled the bridge and found that there was no wire there; it must have fallen out of the hole at some point. Luckily I had the service notes on the guitar from the previous owner and worked backwards from there. It looks like the "authorised" tech had no idea what they were doing and connected the loose wire to the body ground :fp: :fp: :fp:

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:01 am

Nice one. Glad you got it fixed!
Stop me if you think you've heard this one before....

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 am

I popped the neck off mine when going for the first string change, needed a quarter turn on the neck to take out a little relief. That went well but was surprised by what I found in the neck pocket. I don't know what the little white strip is meant to be outside the modest modest sort of shim, and why is so much wood drilled out of the pocket? My XII plays pretty well but of all the Fenders I have, US and Mexican down to some Indonesian Squires, it has the sloppiest neck pocket. It was noticeably wide when it arrived, it's a little tighter now since I put the neck back on. https://imgur.com/a/cj89zxS

Soniqfreq
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Soniqfreq » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:16 am

burpgun wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 am
I popped the neck off mine when going for the first string change, needed a quarter turn on the neck to take out a little relief. That went well but was surprised by what I found in the neck pocket. I don't know what the little white strip is meant to be outside the modest modest sort of shim, and why is so much wood drilled out of the pocket? My XII plays pretty well but of all the Fenders I have, US and Mexican down to some Indonesian Squires, it has the sloppiest neck pocket. It was noticeably wide when it arrived, it's a little tighter now since I put the neck back on. https://imgur.com/a/cj89zxS
The strips are shims. I had two strips in mine and measured them against some wood shims I had. I ended up replacing them with a 0.5 degree shim by stewmac and it fit perfectly.