Buying without trying (or, the death of guitar stores)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying without trying (or, the death of guitar stores)

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:02 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:12 am

Maybe in the post brick and mortar age there needs to be something like Warby Parker or Amazon fashion. You pick 5 guitars you want to try, they ship them to you, you pick the one you want to keep and send the rest back. The shipping would be horrendous, but this is already an expensive game.

Anyway, maybe I'll get real liquord up, tie a banana around my forehead and pull the trigger as it were. This quarentine is getting really long.
A few quick thoughts... I know I'm all over your thread.

A Hummingbird standard is made from different woods than the Hummingbird Studio (mahogany versus walnut). Make of that what you will, I'm just pointing it out.

Also, people do Warby Parker guitars. Not people with my kind of money, but I see some guys order a few guitars and they return the two they don't want. Your bank account has to be able to have bought the three guitars in the first place, though.

Secondly, I'm not recommending a D-18 or J-45 to you for the sake of just telling you to get a well known guitar.

But: those guitars are kind of considered to be the jack of all trades in the world of the steel string acoustic, you know?

And I'm still not saying that those guitars are for you, how would I know?

But what I'm seeing, though, is that you yourself don't know. I suppose that you could otherwise dedicate yourself to driving around guitar stores and trying everything you see on Craigslist. But I live in a large metropolitan area, and there are still tons of guitars out there that I never have seen. No one I know carries acoustic Guilds, that's for sure, at least not the high end made in the States stuff. I don't think anyone carries Larriveé anymore, and frankly Gibson is such an obnoxious brand to carry that a lot of dealers don't bother with dealing with the incredibly burdensome demands that Gibson requires to carry them, preferring instead to just deal them used.

I live right down the street from Eddie's Guitars, though, so I could find Froggy Bottom and Huss and Dalton and whatnot.

Where am I going with this? Shit, I don't know. Anyway, the reason I would suggest one of those guitars is because it would be a massive step up from your Yamaha, it would hold it's value well, it stands a very good chance of being a guitar you would use for the rest of your life and even if not, you would learn quite a bit about what you were looking for over the year or so you spent with your D-18 or whatever.

You'd be like, shit, too much bass on that thing, I'm having to EQ it out of everything I record, or you'd think, yeah, but I am really heading in a fingerstyle direction and could really benefit from a 12 fret 00 sized thing. But until you have something to compare it to you just don't have all the facts you need.

Or I could be totally wrong. But it seems like you'll have a hard time making a move with the information you have now, so you should get more. I also don't know how much you can really get from just playing what they have in stores over and over. But that's just me.

Best of luck to you- I'm not sure I'm helping at all at this point, but I did want to clarify why I'm saying what I am.

Also, this is all stuff that I actually did, and you can probably tell what a happy and well-adjusted person I am.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:21 pm

:D thanks Larry, honestly.

You're probably right. I chuckled when you mentioned that it would be a step up from my Yammy (despite how I love that thing).

J45s do seem to be in the hands of all kinds of players. Perhaps it's the strat of flat tops. Strats are used by everyone Clapton to Malkmus (to bring things full circle). Maybe it's about a recognizable tone pallet thats so ubiquitous that it almost disappears and what's left for the listener to hear if you.

Maybe I'll psych myself into it sometime soon. It maybe I'll trip on my shoelaces and wind buying a dobro. We'll see.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:29 pm

I thought the idea of getting drunk and ordering something and finding out exactly what it was later had a certain dignity to it.

I mean, I've done it, and you can see what a happy and well adjusted person I am. Did I mention that already?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:01 pm

If you think the Asian Acoustics are as good as USA Gibsons & Martins, respectfully, you are mistaken.

Are D-28's & J-45's premium priced? Yes. They really are Premium Guitars.

I know at least a hundred Guitar Players. 99.9% would love to have a J-45 or a D-28.. Why? Because they they're about as good as you can get when it comes to Acoustic Guitars.... They're best of the best Guitars for life..

Fender has sub par after sale Factory Customer Service & their Warranty is pretty sub par too.. No comparison to Gibson or Martin. Having that knowledge, I love Fender Guitars & I still buy them anyway because I want them..

We just keep telling the OP the same thing over & over.. Believe it or not... It's true...

Right now is the perfect time to buy.. Most business' are hurting.. Never been a better time to deal....

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:18 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:21 pm

J45s do seem to be in the hands of all kinds of players. Perhaps it's the strat of flat tops. Strats are used by everyone Clapton to Malkmus (to bring things full circle). Maybe it's about a recognizable tone pallet thats so ubiquitous that it almost disappears and what's left for the listener to hear if you.
Hope your hangover has led you to a great guitar! Well, regarding the J-45, the fact is there are only so many things one can do with an acoustic guitar shape and have it be successful. It's not a slab of wood electric guitar, it's an unforgiving acoustic. Even slight changes in quality and design can have catastrophic effects. That's why you'll see the same basic designs over and over.

The boutique guys say that they make them "better", and there is some room to believe that. You take an artisanal guitar maker and he might be tapping the guitar top and maybe the back, listening to how the guitar resonates that way and scalloping the bracing to accommodate that particular piece of wood.

What they usually don't do is reinvent the guitar's shape, though. Some do. But most know that if you want it to sound like a dreadnaught, you need it to be shaped like one. The research as to what makes an acoustic guitar sound good has already been done over and over years ago- you don't see the failures. Natural selection winnowed them out.

Long story short, Gibson hit on a winning shape with the J-45 back in the day. It's not as loud as a dreadnaught, but that can lead to a subtlety that offers a very wide range of sound. All they have to do is remember how they made them (which they forgot in the 70's) and make them well. No reason to reinvent the wheel there. It works and it always has, that's why you see it everywhere. Kind of like how there aren't all that many different violin shapes.

Now I'm just trying to get you excited about guitars.

I could do the same about the D-18. There's just a three dimensional quality about them, the bass is tight and powerful, the highs are pure and crystalline like a fresh mountain stream, the notes hang in the air... just amazing.

Still, I don't have a D-18, I went with a different brand and got a Guild version of the D-18 (the D-40). I read this article about them which told me what I wanted to know in order to make the decision, after consulting with some strangers on the internet the way one does.

Get excited!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:04 am

Although it's not like playing them for real but here are a couple You Tubes that may help.

D-18 vs. D-28
They aren't the same Guitars..
https://youtu.be/S7Bx_AqgMNw

D-28 vs. J-45
You can hear the difference...
https://youtu.be/iS9-jPyaXvA

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 am

I've seen those videos. I would also like to point out that with that J-45 in the second video, you can improve the sound of that guitar by pulling the plastic saddle in favor of bone, and getting the awful undersaddle pickup out from under there. Doing that opened my J-45 right up, and it sounded great before.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:13 am

Also, I'm going to strongly, strongly, strongly recommend that anyone look into the Gibson J-15. It's exactly the same as the J-45 with the exception of walnut back and sides instead of mahogany.

I own both, and walnut is different from but in no sense worse than mahogany. In some ways it's better.

I got my J-15 for $800. What a steal. We have been talking a lot about the classics of the J-45 and the D-18, but my belief is that the J-15 is a future classic. It's that good. It's wonderful.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Well there's the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder j-15

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder j-45 sustainable

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder j-45 studio

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder g-45

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder g-45 studio

This list is a goof, but it's made me think that maybe Gibson is grooming Walnut to straight replace mahogany as their main tonewood.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:37 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:01 pm
Well there's the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder j-15

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder j-45 sustainable

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder j-45 studio

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder g-45

Or the Walnut and spruce slope shoulder g-45 studio

This list is a goof, but it's made me think that maybe Gibson is grooming Walnut to straight replace mahogany as their main tonewood.
Yes, well, maybe they are trying to slot walnut in at a level so they can charge a premium for mahogany. Or they think that's the way things are going to go anyway.

The J-15 is the best of them all, though. No corners cut on that one. Full gloss, full appointments, full body size. Can be found super cheap if you look. Make sure you get a quartersawn back.

The sustainable J-45 is great, it's expensive. Beeswax finish. Rare, costly.

The J-45 Studio is nice, it has a narrower body than a typical J-45. Probably sounds great. I'd still want the full size body. Frankly, when they released these new models I knew it was time to hop on a J-15. The J-15 simply is a J-45 but with walnut body and a maple neck. The J-45 studio has a narrower body.

The G-45 series is good, but entry level, satin finishes. They are nice guitars. Narrower body I think like the J-45 Studio.

Again, nice guitars, but I have no idea why anybody would buy one if they could get the J-15 for less money used. The J-15 was such a success that Gibson realized people would accept walnut, so they moved the J-15 up in price and in appointments, which is where it was always supposed to be anyway. I believe they priced it lower than they really would have had they known that people were going to take to them so well, they've been a big seller for Gibson.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm gonna throw another wrench into the works here. So, I mentioned that I once had a Martin DX 5 or whatever (the solid top, but synthetic neck, back, sides deal). It actually stayed in the family and I was able to gain access to it again today.

Terribly high action notwithstanding, this guitar is a frickin CANNON! It's way louder than my Yamaha. And the BASS, my goodness, it vibrated my ribs.

I physically compared it to my Yamaha and they are virtually identical. Yamaha really ripped off the Martin dreadnaught shape. They both have solid spruce tops, and not-solid sides and backs, but Martin somehow managed to made a dreadnaught that can punch a hole in the sky.

It's got me rethinking some assumptions. I always wondered why I like the sound of some smaller guitars in demos. I realize now that it's because my dread-not has the eq response of a OM or smaller. Its bass strings are plunky and its mids are very forward.

So, I might be looking at OMs and the like now. But a dreadnaught that sounds like a dreadnaught ought (conceding that it's not all solid wood), that's a whole other ball game. It was like the first time listening to music through reference monitors. It's just big.

Somebody mentioned that I needed more data. This is quite the wrinkle.

Stand by

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:08 pm

It has been written 1000 times or more in just about every, if not all, Guitar Magazines that the the Martin D-28 is the Standard by which all Acoustic Guitars are measured.... Plus 10's of thousands of Owners...

All solid Wood. Sitka Spuce Top & Indian Rosewood Sides & Back for the Std. Traditional model.. They are the Bar... Which is why everyone tries to copy them..

The D-18's have a Spruce Top & Mahogany Sides & Back for ther Std Traditional model.. Different Bracing. Different sound.. Something more like a J-45..

The J-45's have a Spruce Top & Mahogany Sides & Back for the Std. Traditional model.. Which is also one the most highly regarded Guitars by just about Guitar Publication.. As well as thousands of Owners...

The J-45 comes in many configurations & Woods.. They even make them with Spruce Tops & Rosewood Sides & Back.. More like a D-28.. It does get confusing...

Martin D-28's have their own beautiful big Sound. Almost an Orchestra! Sustain forever..

The traditional J-45 is tighter sounding & articulate..

There are all kinds of Guitars to choose from.. Even Martin & Gibson have numerous variations of their tried & true Traditional D-28 & J-45.. Still the Traditional models of each are the most prized, acclaimed & played by almost all the Greats... There is a reason.. They are the Bar by which all Acoustic Guitars are measured...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:38 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:27 pm
I'm gonna throw another wrench into the works here. So, I mentioned that I once had a Martin DX 5 or whatever (the solid top, but synthetic neck, back, sides deal). It actually stayed in the family and I was able to gain access to it again today.

Terribly high action notwithstanding, this guitar is a frickin CANNON! It's way louder than my Yamaha. And the BASS, my goodness, it vibrated my ribs.

Somebody mentioned that I needed more data. This is quite the wrinkle.

Stand by
Yep. And if your guitar was a Martin DX, and you played a D-18 or something of that grade, you would have your mind blown at the difference in quality between those two, also. Not that there would be so much volume difference, but the quality of the sound would be so much better you would be blown away.

You have a tremendous amount of room for improvement.

If you get a Martin, D-18 or OM or whatever, do yourself a favor and get a "re-imagined" series. They all started at different years, for instance, the D-18 was reimagined in 2012, and so on.

The HD-28 wasn't re-imagined quite the same way because it always had the lighter, scalloped bracing, but the D-28 got scalloped bracing when it was re-imagined. But you want the scalloped bracing. It just makes the guitar more lively and responsive.

Here's a tip: the Martin professional line basically starts at the number 18, D-18, OM-18, 000-18 and such. That's where the classics start and you go up in number from there equaling higher quality in Martin's mind, higher expense, and so on.

The new -17 series is kind of different, they are every bit as good as the rest of the Martins but have these new finishes that are cheaper. Another exception is the -15 series, again with cheaper finishes and they are made with all mahogany including the tops, so they are very different.

But the rest of the things that are numbered below the -18 designation are very good instruments but are not made to sound as good as the flagships and they don't. So, no -16s with the gloss top and shit. Spend a little more, get a lot more. If you don't see a designation of -18, -21, -28, and on up it's not a flagship Martin but it's probably a good guitar. So, no MMV, no DX, no Road Series, none of that stuff.

Do it once and do it right. Don't settle. People are going to tell you that their -16 guitars and shit sound good, and they do. But in Martin's mind? Their line starts at the -18. That's what they are proud of and that's what they consider the Martin experience to start at, in their mind, everything else is an entry level starter Martin. They call it their "Standard Series". Listen to them.

Gibson basically doesn't do this, except with the new G series and some of the new Studio stuff. But until very recently, any Bozeman Gibson is made to a very high base quality, they all have great woods, they are all made with hand scalloped bracing, all have full gloss, etc. People think that Gibson Montana is some big factory but it's not, and the same people that make the $5k historic J-200 are making the J-15. That's still the case but now they've introduced entry level G stuff for the first time and satin finishes.

For the most part, though, buy a Gibson and you get Gibson quality all around. It kind of makes purchasing one easier, then again, up until very recently they haven't bothered competing in the lower end market whatsoever, even their cheaper guitars have always been expensive, handmade, top of the line instruments. Don't confuse Gibson acoustic with Gibson electric, they might as well be two different companies entirely.

By comparison, I seem to be reading that Martin makes 85,000 guitars a year. Gibson acoustic seems to make about 12,000. Santa Cruz makes about 800.

I am reading that 22 people work at Santa Cruz guitars, making the 800 guitars a year. Gibson Bozeman has "over a 100 people working there" so you can imagine that each Gibson employee is responsible for four times the guitars that a Santa Cruz employee is responsible for. Are Santa Cruz guitars that much better because of that? Well, maybe- but let's remember that Santa Cruz guitars start at around $6,000 and their production is necessarily slower because they probably can't start the majority of their guitars until the order is placed, their website is basically a custom order portal.

My point is that Gibson acoustic genuinely slots right in where they say they do, with a moderate sized factory using state of the art equipment making off the rack models that are still all handmade and of very high quality. For me, Gibson hits the sweet spot of high quality for value. Even if I could afford a Santa Cruz guitar, I don't want that: I would rather have three Gibsons. The reason is, I would be able to have three different kinds of guitar, a maple bodied one, a rosewood one, and a walnut one, which would give me different sounds whereas one Santa Cruz would give me one. That's just me, though. Other people have more money.

With Taylor, the all solid wood American made experience starts at anything labelled 3-- and above. The 100 series is laminate bullshit made in Mexico and the 200 series is solid wood/laminate bullshit made in Mexico. A 300 series and above are all solid wood and made in the States. The first digit refers to the wood and overall package, for instance a 600 series refers to their guitars made with maple body and sides and the next two numbers refer to the type of guitar, such as a -10 means a dreadnaught (or at least it used to). So, a 610 would be a maple bodied dreadnaught.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks for clearing up about Martin. I was going over their range and I was really confused. They've been making the x series for a long time now (btw mine was made in Mexico but cost the same as the PA ones- f'ing b.s.). But like you're saying, they've got the road series and the 15, 16, 17 versions of the exact same body shapes. Hell there's even a rosewood dreadnaught in one of the lower series that's a third of the price of a d 28.

It does two things:
1. makes things super confusing.
2. Dilutes their brand.

I understand that they wanted in on the affordable game. And as evidenced by the dx, they can make a superior guitar, even out of formike. But it gets pretty stupid when brands make a model for every single price point. Because they have to justify why model B is more costly than model A but cheaper than model C. The consumer if left wondering if it's all bullshit (spoiler, it mostly is).

It's like I can imagine somebody being really proud of owning a real deal, American made, solid wood Martin guitar. Then Martin saying, " if ye that you should see our real guitars, keep saving and one day you might have one!"

Gibson (acoustic) avoided this trap for years by having Epiphone to make you versions of their models. The only issue there is that the price jump between them is 10 fold.

The effect of what Martin has done is that it's destroyed the confidence of the consumer. If I make myself destitute and buy a d 28, I'll always wonder if I was taken for a ride and if one of the lower rent ones would have done just as well. If I buy a lower series one, I'll always have that doubt and secret shame that it's not "real" and I'll always wonder what they held back on mine.

*Rant that you can/should skip*
And this is almost certainly just me, but, sometimes I think all of this prestige and mystique applied to flat top, steel sting acoustics is kinda like pearls on a swine. I like them, I play them, but of all kinds of guitars, flat tops are these clangly, squeaky, buzzy things. We mentally filter all the literal noise they produce. Unlike electrics or classicals or even archtop acoustics (with flat wounds). Not to mention that for most real life purposes, the acoustic is reduced to a shrill electric with a either piezo or a soundhole pu. And unless a recording is primarily composed of acoustic instruments, they're usually EQ'd into oblivion in the mix and are usually there for "texture." That's why there are so many stories of Yamahas being used for recording as they have so few resonant overtones. It's like when a performer straps on an acoustic for a song or two they're saying, "check out my expensive guitar, now, listen to the piezo". The exception being one of my heros, Feist, who runs her soundhole pup into a cranked low watt amp.

Ok, I'm done yelling at a cloud.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:54 am

Yeah, Martin is pretty confusing, it took me a while to learn that the -18s and up are the real deal. That being said, though, the lower tier stuff sounds good and plays great. I still have a D-1 that was my first real acoustic and it always sounded great to me. Kind of outclassed now, though.

But Martin has a vision for how their guitars should sound and they have the skill to make the lower tier instruments capture a great amount of that Martin sound. It's really something how they can do that. They made a guitar that looks exactly like a Gibson L-00, their CEO-7, sound exactly like a Martin and almost nothing like a Gibson.

As for the rest, I don't know. You can see that I get pretty excited about acoustic guitar. I have a dozen of the things. The bulk of my life has been spent playing acoustic, I love it like nothing else, frankly. I like recording it and when I hear a song with a great sounding acoustic I get pretty excited. I grew up listening to a lot of artists that made heavy use of acoustic guitar, I guess. Nothing too esoteric or anything, the usual classic rock of Neil Young and Cat Stevens and Simon and Garfunkel, the Who, I could go on, but they always had a lot of acoustic guitar in there and I really liked it.

Later I would hear things like "Kanga Roo" and the acoustic coupled with the atmospherics of the rest of it made me feel that a lot of stuff was possible.

But mainly, I have always found the acoustic to be like an extension of myself. It sounds weird probably and pretentious, but I've always sat down and played little improv concerts to myself on acoustic. I can do it for hours. I play some notes and then I try and form connections between them and see where they go and they ebb and flow and I know how odd it sounds, but shit, it's one of the things I'll miss in life the most.

I know not everyone feels that way on an electric guitar site, that's for sure. But I love acoustic guitar like nothing else, really.