Which short scale guitar to add to my collection

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Which short scale guitar to add to my collection

Post by madhermit » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

First post here on OSG. I have a question for those with the knowledge of the short scale offset guitars like the Jaguar and Mustang. I am talking 24".

I currently have lots of strat, tele, Les Paul types of guitars. One type of guitar missing is the short scale Fender type.

I am leaning toward a Squier 70s Classic Vibe Jaguar. But I also like the Vintera 60s Mustang.

I am looking for a different flavour of guitar, so I am shying away from dual humbuckers etc. I prefer bigger necks, but will play anything pretty much.

I'd like to hear opinions on what you would add for different flavour if you had all the other bases covered?

madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Which short scale guitar to add to my collection

Post by madhermit » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:39 am

Forgot to mention the Powercaster. I know it is 24.75, but it is an interesting guitar.

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 am

Squier Toronado

Don't let the sticker on the headstock scare you. it rules.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 am

robroe wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 am
Squier Toronado

Toronados are 24.75", which is Gibson scale length. OP already has Gibsons and was curious about specifically short scale Fenders (24").

As for the OP, I guess the first question is whether you want a vibrato or a hardtail. Personally, I find the Jaguar vibrato infinitely preferable to the Mustang one.

Next issue would be weight. If you want a light guitar, a Mustang is the way to go. Jags have a very ergonomically shaped but heavy body. Mustangs are on average much lighter. Very different playing experience. I like the solid feel of a Jaguar but could easily understand why the lighter Mustang might feel better to some.

Are you looking at new, or used as well? Hardtail or vibrato? Light or heavy guitars? That'll really help narrow it down.

Also, after many years of owning shortscales, I'll mention that, compared to "the usuals" (I.e. strats, teles), and due to their location and angle relative to the bridge and scale length, Jags have a neck pickup that will sound the most familiar and a bridge pickup that will sound least familiar, while Mustangs will have the reverse - a neck pickup that will sound the least familiar, and a bridge pickup that will sound most familiar. So, depending on which pickup you use most often, and which tone you want to sound the "newest" to your ears, that's another consideration.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by madhermit » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:25 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 am
robroe wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 am
Squier Toronado

Toronados are 24.75", which is Gibson scale length. OP already has Gibsons and was curious about specifically short scale Fenders (24").

As for the OP, I guess the first question is whether you want a vibrato or a hardtail. Personally, I find the Jaguar vibrato infinitely preferable to the Mustang one.

Next issue would be weight. If you want a light guitar, a Mustang is the way to go. Jags have a very ergonomically shaped but heavy body. Mustangs are on average much lighter. Very different playing experience. I like the solid feel of a Jaguar but could easily understand why the lighter Mustang might feel better to some.

Are you looking at new, or used as well? Hardtail or vibrato? Light or heavy guitars? That'll really help narrow it down.

Also, after many years of owning shortscales, I'll mention that, compared to "the usuals" (I.e. strats, teles), and due to their location and angle relative to the bridge and scale length, Jags have a neck pickup that will sound the most familiar and a bridge pickup that will sound least familiar, while Mustangs will have the reverse - a neck pickup that will sound the least familiar, and a bridge pickup that will sound most familiar. So, depending on which pickup you use most often, and which tone you want to sound the "newest" to your ears, that's another consideration.
Thanks! Great post.
The only reason I threw the Powercaster in was because of the interesting pickup combination, but I think I would end up back looking at 24” scale guitars anyway.

I tend to deck my trems on my strats, but I would like a trem guitar other than a floyd, and I had read the Jag trem is much better than the Mustang version.

I am most likely going new, about mid price and lower. I am not looking to spend Original or Professional series money.

So likely new, mid range price and lower, trem based.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:45 pm

The best Jaguar you can afford.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:37 pm

I am a huge fan of Mustangs, and have several. That being said, I vote for the Jaguar, because it's got a better vibrato and more versatile circuitry.
Mustangs sound really good, are generally light, and tend to have really nice necks.
The vibrato is fine, but tricky to set up. It will go way lower than a Jag vibrato, but doing so tends to be one of the sure ways to knock it out of tune.
If you set it up right and use it as a subtle to medium vibrato, it is a good system.

Jags are usually heavier, but there's a lot more there to work with in terms of tone. The vibrato is my all time favorite.

As for 24.75" models, can't go wrong with the Toronado, Cyclone II, or Powercaster. The Powercaster is a sleeper. Don't seem to be too much hype around them. I've tried a few and really liked them.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:38 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:45 pm
The best Jaguar you can afford.
+1
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:21 pm

i would also say jaguar, great trem, sharp specific tone. mustangs kinda sound like a combination of a tele and a strat, kind of a slightly generic single coil tone, which is definitely usable in lots of contexts, but the jag is more distinctive. squier cv is a good choice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Another vote for Jag.

madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by madhermit » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Jag seems to be the thing so far.

I have a Squier Classiv Vibe Custom tele I put Nocaster pickups in and it can run with my much pricier guitars, so I am not worried about getting a Squier.

I would like to know peoples opinions on the Jags out there. Without getting crazy, what are the best options?

The Squier Classic Vibe 70s seems hard to beat. I could always stick some better pickups in it if need be. It has the Mustang bridge from what I understand too, which many consider an upgrade.

The Vintera Jags look interesting. The HH seems to have a better bridge than the single coil version.

What is the routing like under the pickguard? Is a Jag generally routed for humbuckers? If not, I am thinking I could go HH, and put single coils on a different pickguard if I wanted to.

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Same scale as a Gibson. Great pickups. Great bridge+tremolo. Vintage.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 pm

madhermit wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am
I am talking 24".
Again, for those that missed it.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 pm

Jaguarillo

Jagstang:

Squier supersonic

Squier Jagmaster:

Modern player shortscale telecaster
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:15 am

Welcome to OSG!

If you want something different to your current guitars, i.e. a 24" scale and single coil fender sound (W/O tremolo) then I would recommend these:
(I'm presuming you are also buying new so I'm suggesting guitars accordingly)
Both the Jaguar and Mustang will provide you with an alternative to hum buckers and both have a unique sound. They are different guitars though, the Mustang body is smaller than the Jaguar and "often" the Jaguar neck is fatter than the Mustang.

The Squier CV 70s Jaguar is a great guitar to dip into the complete short scale offset world and is the cheapest option here.
- Single coils, tremolo, traditional pick up switches, block inlays. Indian laurel fingerboard.

The Fender Vintera Mustang is also a good option.
- Single coils, tremolo, traditional pick up switches, Pau ferro fingerboard.

If you are not too bothered with a tremolo however:
The Fender Player Mustang is cheaper than the Vintera but not so traditional.
- Single coils, No tremolo, 3 way swicth, available in both pau ferro and maple fingerboard.

Just below the price range for American models is also:
The Fender Vintera 60s Jaguar. (not the modern version with hum buckers!)
- Made in Mexico, Single coils, tremolo, traditional pick up switches, matching headstock, Pau ferro fingerboard.

I know this is said a million times but it might be wise to try the guitars in a shop first to get a feel for the difference between a Jaguar and a Mustang.
May the Fuzz be with you