Which short scale guitar to add to my collection

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which short scale guitar to add to my collection

Post by Futuron » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:12 am

Yeah, if you are thinking 24" with vibrato, I recommend looking at the Vintera & Classic Vibe Jaguars.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 am

I’d say jag.

I’ve loved my mustangs for their weight, but that’s about it. The pickups don’t thrill me at all. I do like the trem, but that’s because I put my hand on the cylinder for subtle vibrato. I never used the bars because it sent them out of tune if I used it like my JM/jag.

Jags are heavier, but sound better and have the same trem as a JM.

Playability wise they should be about the same.

madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by madhermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:37 am

I think I will go with a Jaguar. Probably the Squier in surf green.

Thanks for the input people of OSG. Keep any opinions coming, they have been useful.

:fro:

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:07 am

The Fender American Performer Mustangs is probably the best Short Scale, alternatives to Jaguars, Fender has made in years... Maybe ever...

Check it out..

https://youtu.be/vl5hfuTWKsw

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:20 am

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 am
robroe wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:40 am
Squier Toronado

Don't let the sticker on the headstock scare you. it rules.
Toronados are 24.75", which is Gibson scale length. OP already has Gibsons and was curious about specifically short scale Fenders (24").
the guy literally posted a 24.75" scale guitar right before i posted a 24.75" guitar

thanks for the lesson on shortscales though ill have to check some out and figure out what its all about.

...if only there was a forum dedicated to them somewhere

guitalias
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitalias » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Are you interested in a kit? Pitbull have been recommended to me by local luthier, have good support forum also. I'm thinking of a 24" neck from them, not on their menu, but I asked & they can arrange.
https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/gui ... -kit-copy/

madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by madhermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:13 pm

guitalias wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 pm
Are you interested in a kit? Pitbull have been recommended to me by local luthier, have good support forum also. I'm thinking of a 24" neck from them, not on their menu, but I asked & they can arrange.
https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/gui ... -kit-copy/
I did a kit before. Got it out of my system. ;D

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 am

If you prefer bigger necks, the older Squier Vintage Modified Mustangs tend to have pretty chunky necks. Mine was almost baseball bat style, it was such a great neck actually. I’m not sure about the newer CV Mustangs.

I’m not a fan of the Mustang Dynamic Vibrato, so I eventually hard-tailed mine. For that reason, if I really wanted a trem, I’d go with a Jag. The Mustang trem needs a hardened fulcrum edge, which happens to be the mounting plate itself. The plate edges wear down and IME tuning stability suffers. I’ve used MIJ and vintage units, so it’s not like I tried my best to make it work well. The new Performer Mustangs realize a solution: a hardened, thicker fulcrum plate like the Floating Tremolo.

Apart from the Performer, also check out the recent Duo-Sonics and Mustangs. I had two of the HS Duos, great guitars..
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

madhermit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by madhermit » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:42 am

Debaser wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 am
If you prefer bigger necks, the older Squier Vintage Modified Mustangs tend to have pretty chunky necks. Mine was almost baseball bat style, it was such a great neck actually. I’m not sure about the newer CV Mustangs.

I’m not a fan of the Mustang Dynamic Vibrato, so I eventually hard-tailed mine. For that reason, if I really wanted a trem, I’d go with a Jag. The Mustang trem needs a hardened fulcrum edge, which happens to be the mounting plate itself. The plate edges wear down and IME tuning stability suffers. I’ve used MIJ and vintage units, so it’s not like I tried my best to make it work well. The new Performer Mustangs realize a solution: a hardened, thicker fulcrum plate like the Floating Tremolo.

Apart from the Performer, also check out the recent Duo-Sonics and Mustangs. I had two of the HS Duos, great guitars..
Danka!

shrigg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by shrigg » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:41 pm

frelonvert wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Same scale as a Gibson. Great pickups. Great bridge+tremolo. Vintage.
Which model Yamaha is this? I've lusted after them in the past and wouldn't mind tracking one down

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm

It is a Yamaha sg-5 or sg-5a. The sg-2a has only two pickups.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

AndyMansh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AndyMansh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:10 am

I have quite small hands and prefer a shorter scale neck.
I have a Mustang Vintera that I adore - really good quality.
The Duo Sonics are super easy to play, but no trem, and 500k pots, so quite harsh with the stock pickups (especially the 2 single coild versions). I've modded mine with a capacitor on the neck pickup and stuck a Seymour Duncan SH1 in the bridge for fantastic Nirvana tones.
I've heavily modded a Squier Bullet Mustang to give it Strat pickups and it's my favourite guitar to play. Whole job cost me less than £200.
BUT as an alternative I have a PRS Santana SE Standard (24.5inch) like this
https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/prs- ... a-standard

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 am

I'm a "Tele guy" and I own a couple of Strats too. I highly recommend the Jaguar. I had a TVL Jazzmaster and I sold it about 6 months ago and got an AO60's Jaguar. It's just such a versatile guitar and it really does have a tone that's unmistakably Fender but not quite a Tele and not quite a Strat. I could very honestly see myself playing an entire set on the Jag alone. It's go a HUGE array of different tones available and is incredibly versatile.

My buddy/bandmate is very much a Strat guy and he totally "pooh poohed" the Jaguar until I put mine in his hands. He played it for over an hour and I almost had to pry it away from him. He absolutely loved it.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:04 am

I'd say Jaguar, I find it somewhat more interesting then the Mustang (but that's just personal preference)

Depending on your budget, A used Squier VM Jaguar or a new/used CV Squier would be a good option. (If you don't mind, Sunburst, Black or Surf green that is...)
However, if you have a somewhat bigger budget, defenitly check out the Vintera Jaguar.
These are really good guitars imho. If you intend to use the Jag a lot, then the VM/CV might need a few parts upgraded. (but not necessary)

But, check out the Mustangs too if you have a good music store that has both guitars in stock as they feel and play quiet differently
Also a Super Sonic is worth to be checked out, the Vista's are wonderfull... Although perhaps more "rawk" orientated. ;)