Any praise for Classic Player Special or Kurt Cobain Jaguar NOS ?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any praise for Classic Player Special or Kurt Cobain Jaguar NOS ?

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:40 am

robroe wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:03 am
Still unpacking this......its got a mustang bridge, jazzmaster pickguard, musicmaster neck pickup, sig strat bridge pickup, tele selector, theres nothing jaguar left on this jaguar but the claw. Hahaha

It needs a early 2000s glossy CIJ MG69 neck to complete it for full Frankenstein mojo
They come with that rattle-tastic new adjustable Mustang style bridge that sucks, so I put a regular Mustang bridge in. From stock the humbucker is cream and the Jag pickup cover is white, and it's weirdly mismatched. I got a zebra humbucker and put a black strat cover over the Jag pickup, but kept the claws. Still a Frankenstein from stock though, you are right.

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am

the humbucker is either a seymour duncan Invader or a Dark Matter Pickup.

they came stock on the Tom Delonge signature strat which is going for stupid money on reverb now.

https://reverb.com/item/29431073-tom-de ... ture-strat
https://reverb.com/item/34353318-2001-b ... -hardshell

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:51 am

I liked my KC Jag but the neck was extremely thick and not comfortable so I ended up selling it.

Dano Clam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dano Clam » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:20 am

Classic Player Special fan here (sort of). I have two and did the same mods for both.
- changed pickups to fender 62 AVRI
- put tiny metal squares in front of each bridge saddle and tightened intonation screw for super tight / super sustain bridge
- .012" to .052 flat wounds
For perspective, I have owned 2 CIJ jaguars in the past. I have also tried stock, mustang, Graphtech saddles, Schaller roller bridge and Wilikinson roller bridges.
- I love the tone and sustain of my Classic Players - prefer over my previous CIJ jags
- I use the tremolo a ton with zero tuning or reliability issues - prefer "locked down" AOM over previous experiments.
- I notice the adjustomatic bridge rocks due to play between the posts and thimbles - this seems to work for me
Cheers,
Dano
clamsband.com

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 am

Gonkulator wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:51 am
I liked my KC Jag but the neck was extremely thick and not comfortable so I ended up selling it.
+1, didn't like the neck on the KC jag. Future project wish would be to pair a Johnny Marr neck w/ a Cobain Body.

WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillyP » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:18 pm

I have a Classic Player HH which is pretty good. There's a couple pickup settings that sound great but mostly it doesn't sound very good at all. The humbucker mode sounds muddy and doesn't have any character. Its also pretty heavy, which I don't like. It plays well and the trem is great, even though I prefer the traditional placement instead of closer to the bridge. I'm deciding whether or not keep it or sell it and buy a lighter SS model.

I'm pretty sure the Kurt Cobain model has DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups which I like. They even sound good with some volume rolled off for less output too. The only thing I don't like about that model is the small headstock.

stevemac100
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevemac100 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi, I also have an Olympic White Class Player HH Jag and I'm really fond of it. Bought it used for a good price and the pups had already been swapped out for Bareknuckles which perhaps have more personality than the stock pups. Have since swapped out the pups for Creamery WRHBs which are great. Really like the guitar and with lots of tonal options between the coil splitting and bass cut switch. For the money, would definitely recommend one.

VealCutlet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by VealCutlet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 am

Ratafia wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:11 am
I picked up a Classic Player Special Jaguar in sunburst used, and I like it a lot after I changed the bridge out for an American Pro bridge. Because the bridge post holes on the AOM are threaded, I put some M8 grub screws in, and extended the AmPro bridge screws significantly. It fits nicely and intonates well, and aside from whatever bridge you want the mod is cheap and easily replaceable. I think I used 10mm long M8 grub screws on mine.

Outside of that, the pickups are somewhat hot, and it sounds pretty good in all positions. The neck plays nicely and the fretwork is good. I'd recommend it if you don't mind moving things around to find the right combination of parts, because the spacing is a little different for the bridge, kinda like a Squier.
Hi, I’m looking to do a similar mod on my Classic Player JM. Can I just ask you to confirm my understanding of what you did:
- Used the M8 grub screw to remove the the threaded post sleeves
- Inserted some sort of post sleeve (you didn’t mention this, but I assume the bridge is not sitting against bare wood.
- Drop in the Am Pro bridge.

No fill/re-drill? Theoretically you can restore the AOM if desired?

Thanks.