Best JM to complement a LP and Tele in the studio

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best JM to complement a LP and Tele in the studio

Post by FrankRay » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 am

A jaguar with high output pickups would fit the bill. Real growl.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:56 pm

The 60s classic lacquer JM is a killer guitar for not a lot of moolah.

Ice Tre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ice Tre » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 pm

MazzyJaster wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:10 pm
I'll check them out, basically I am looking for something that sounds a bit different to a Telecaster & Les Paul.
My opinion is any Jazzmaster with real Jazzmaster pickups will sound very different from a Tele and Les Paul, and serve you nicely. A real Jazzmaster neck pickup is to die for-- brighter than a humbucker, but darker than a strat pickup. Angry and growling when punched hard into a great tube amp set to borderline breakup, beautiful and chimey when backed off. Sublime. The bridge pickup has a twang, but a different twang than a tele-- more surf. Indeed, that's why the surf guys in the early 60's embraced the Jazzmaster.

And of course the Jazzmaster has a great tremolo, whereas the Tele and LP have none.

There are several models that have vintage Jazzmaster pickups, so it comes down to price and what kind of frets and neck shape after that. The '62 AVRI, the AV65, or the models that have AV65 (sometimes called Pure 65) pickups will give you the classic Jazzmaster sound.

Other people have mentioned models with non-Jazzmaster pickups-- humbuckers and P90's. Those can be cool-- I have a Lee Ranaldo model with WRHB pickups-- but I suggest you first get a Jazzmaster with classic vintage pickups before delving into the models with non-Jazzmaster-sounding pickups.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Ice Tre wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 pm
MazzyJaster wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:10 pm
I'll check them out, basically I am looking for something that sounds a bit different to a Telecaster & Les Paul.
My opinion is any Jazzmaster with real Jazzmaster pickups will sound very different from a Tele and Les Paul, and serve you nicely. A real Jazzmaster neck pickup is to die for-- brighter than a humbucker, but darker than a strat pickup. Angry and growling when punched hard into a great tube amp set to borderline breakup, beautiful and chimey when backed off. Sublime. The bridge pickup has a twang, but a different twang than a tele-- more surf. Indeed, that's why the surf guys in the early 60's embraced the Jazzmaster.

And of course the Jazzmaster has a great tremolo, whereas the Tele and LP have none.

There are several models that have vintage Jazzmaster pickups, so it comes down to price and what kind of frets and neck shape after that. The '62 AVRI, the AV65, or the models that have AV65 (sometimes called Pure 65) pickups will give you the classic Jazzmaster sound.

Other people have mentioned models with non-Jazzmaster pickups-- humbuckers and P90's. Those can be cool-- I have a Lee Ranaldo model with WRHB pickups-- but I suggest you first get a Jazzmaster with classic vintage pickups before delving into the models with non-Jazzmaster-sounding pickups.
^^^

Solid advice.

If the idea is inherently to be "in between" the Tele and the Paul sonically rather than just something complimentary like a JM would be, then one with P90s is a great idea and the JMJM will fit the bill.
This is an excellent rectangle

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm

MazzyJaster wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:49 pm
What models should I be looking at for an inbetween Telecaster and Les Paul sound?
Do you mean in the mix? Because a great tip given to me (and its true) is that a Gretsch is a fantastic tool for sitting between a strat/tele and a HMB Gibson in the mix. Gretsches have a lot of models with bigsbys, which is nice, and they have their own unique type of chime and growl.

But also a J Mascis would probably work fine, I agree. And you can upgrade the pickups later to more / less aggressive for what you need.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm

I'm telling you, get a Tele install a Humbucker or Filtertron at the Neck & you've got a Tele & a Les Paul... In one Guitar.. Add a Bigsby.. I've made one & it's a badass combo Guitar! Although I preferred a P90 instead of a Humbucker or Filtertron...

Like this but for a whole lot less money......

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Cus ... 8cb765e49e

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm
I'm telling you, get a Tele install a Humbucker or Filtertron at the Neck & you've got a Tele & a Les Paul... In one Guitar.. Add a Bigsby.. I've made one & it's a badass combo Guitar! Although I preferred a P90 instead of a Humbucker or Filtertron...

This is very true and also very good advice.
This is an excellent rectangle

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:47 am

Larsongs wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm

Put a humbucker or a goldfoil in one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Vin ... loedViewCP
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MazzyJaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MazzyJaster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks for all the replies, there is plenty to think about :)