Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster - Sunburst inconsistency

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jas24
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster - Sunburst inconsistency

Post by jas24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:13 pm
jas24 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:54 am
patski wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:59 pm
I feel like sunburst is hideously inconsistent and not just on lower end models.

My KC Jag is a gorgeous guitar through and through but man, the sunburst is just effing sad.

I love the solid red ring in the center that has a prominent gold ring before fading to brown/black. When it's done well, it's striking and not boring! Most sunbursts are bloody boring.
Totally agree... I love the striking sunbursts transistioning from yellow, red and brown/black, but feels that very few (if any) new guitars actually have that - regardless of price point!

Kind of surprising, considering almost all vintage sunburst finished Jazzmasters have that striking sunburst finish - you'd think the vintage spec new guitars would get a bit closer, even if they're using poly instead of nitro.
??? The AV65 series of offsets had sunbursts done in a 'target burst' style just like you're referring to, and are finished in nitro?
Well, I did say very few :P But jokes aside I stand corrected - the AV65 sunburst is definitely one that's on the mark and may have just become my new dream guitar...

I should probably have a caveat on all my messages that I'm an amateur/casual guitarist and I probably don't know what I'm talking about :P

jas24
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jas24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 am

Square Daddio wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:30 am
I think what we are seeing is the difference between three-tone and two-tone sunburst finishes. Two-tone basically is black to brown. Three-tone has more gradations including yellow, red, brown and black. There is more variation in the three-tone version. I find the two-tone versions pretty consistent color-wise. I had a two-tone burst Tele similar to the second JM in the OP.
You're probably right... to my amateur eye a lot of three-tone sunburst do seem closer to a two colour sunburst than a true three colour sunburst - but maybe that's just because I have a clear preference for the more striking yellow/red/black sunburst you see on a lot of the original 60's sunbursts.

I guess a lot of that will be down to the aging of the nitro finish.

dezb1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dezb1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:53 pm

I agree on the variation in sunburst on these - I picked this beauty up the other day chose my favourite of the 3 they had in stock.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:09 pm

^^^

Damn, you picked a winner.

One really does need to be able to see the sunbursts before buying, because of the multi piece bodies.
This is an excellent rectangle

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:20 pm

If you go to Sweetwater.com right now (just after 7pm ET on Saturday, October 24), they currently have four sunburst 60's Classic Vibe Jazzmasters available. If you click the little red "compare all 4" button above that main large pic, you'll see all four offerings side-by-side. While mostly close, there are definitely differences that, depending on how picky one is, could really make a difference.

Second from the left (serial: ICSG20021523) seems to be the darkest/most red (and has the most obvious wood seam line), while the one on the far left (serial: ICSG20021513) is the most yellow-centered. The two outer models (ICSG20021513 and ICSG20033093) have the least obvious join/seam lines, but that rightmost one (...33093) definitely has a wider, thicker outer black band than the others, especially in that lower area between the tremolo and input jack. The guy with the spray gun checked his phone or something? :P

They all look fine, and, for $399, how much can you really expect. However, as others here have suggested, knowing how these things can, and do vary, and if you're particular about coloring and seam lines, you're better off buying a sunburst model in person or through a vendor like Sweetwater who will post such images, so you know exactly what you're getting for your $400. I don't think I'd want to roll the dice on this particular finish, sight unseen. Too many variables and I'd hate to pull it out of the box and it look like a total horror show. For $400, I can be pretty forgiving...but there's also a limit to that. I'd feel better picking one out on the front end!

Just these four right here, there are two of them I'd rather not buy, truth be told.

Personally, of the four, I'd have to go with the far left (...21513) model. I could live with any of them, but that one does appeal to me a bit more (the extra yellow, the black doesn't creep in super far, etc.

I'd probably just go with the Olympic White (hard to go wrong with that) and skip all this aggravation anyway...