Should I keep Squier CV if I´m getting Vintera?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Should I keep Squier CV if I´m getting Vintera?

Post by TomTom » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:41 am

Hello,

My first post. I have followed quite long but now I need your wisdom.

I ordered Squier CV Jaguar. Before I got it, I heard that I´m able to get (it had very long delivery time before) VIntera HH Jaguar in a decent time. So I was planning to return that CV. It arrived and the box was broken and it had small ding in front of head (seen here https://imgur.com/a/bvyYK5b ) also another slider switch makes a small noise and another does not when using. Both working fine, but just different cause that small rolling noise. I don´t know if those normally make any noise or not.

Seller offered 56€ discount, so I would get it 336€. I have played the guitar and I have to say that I love it. I have Jagmaster but this is way more fun to play. The thing I love most is the neck! It feels the best neck in the world. Smaller than my jagmaster neck and very easy to play. I just don´t get enough of it. I like more sound of humbuckers (hence buying VIntera HH).

So there are a couple of things in my mind.
-The neck. I´m worrying that if CV neck actually is more my taste than Vintera (never played vintera). If I don´t keep this and found out that Vintera is meh for me.
-How big role fingerboard radius is playing here? I mean, does that mean that I love 9,5 necks?
-I have Fender Mustang MG69 MIJ 97, and the neck is not my favorite one.
-Is there enough difference with HH vs. single coil to, so even if would like Vintera as much, would there be enough interes to play original Jaguar?
-Is 56€ enough considering that broken head or should I ask them to send another one (I´m worrying that It would be a unit that I would love not as much). Or is 336€ just so good price, that I should keep this no matter what (and maybe sandpaper head a liitle bit)
-Or should I just trust that I will love Vintera so much that there is no need for a second one.

Maybe my biggest worry is that if VIntera is not as good to play (neck wise) as CV, there is no point to own it.
And if it is way better, will CV get any playing time.

So many questions.I will be thankfull of all feedback. English is not my native language, so sorry all errors.

Mojo Johnson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Should I keep Squier CV if I´m getting Vintera?

Post by Mojo Johnson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:55 am

Congratulations on both, I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I have a Vintera 60’s Jag (not the HH version) and I will submit that the neck is pretty fat; fatter than I expected. For me it’s not bad, but if you love the feel of the CV neck then you may not like the Vintera as much.

For what it’s worth, I also encountered an issue with my first Vintera and I had to return it to Guitar Center. While doing so, I took the opportunity to play a Squire CV Jag on the showroom and I thought it felt really nice. The neck was, as you say, really nice to play. Definitely a different feel from the Vintera. I preferred the neck (and fretboard) on the Squire, but not enough to take one over the Vintera - the OTM finish with matching headstock was just too much coolness to pass up for me.

maaaaaaaaaaark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by maaaaaaaaaaark » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Personally I think the combination of neck profile and fingerboard radius is really important -- maybe more so than scale length or any other factor. How long til the other guitar arrives? Can you put off the return til next week and compare them?

In theory if you returned the Squier and then bought another one then they should be the same (the necks etc are carved by CNC machine), but the quality control isn't amazing, so while the neck profile, body carve, hardware etc should be the same, they're not all identical in terms of fit, finish and setup.

I'd take a great playing Squier over a Fender that didn't feel right in my hand every time (and vice-versa, of course), but I guess you won't know until you've played both.

egostatistical
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by egostatistical » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:14 pm

The two guitars will sound completely different. The CV has the classic percussive Jag sound you just can’t get with the humbuckers in the HH. Also, the block inlays on the CV are killer. I think you’ll want to keep them both.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 pm

The most important thing about a guitar is whether you connect with it while playing. If you love the Squier, do NOT let it go. You may be shocked to find that the more expensive Vintera may or may not connect with you in the same way.

I've had American Fenders that inspired me less to play than certain Squiers. I have found that it's impossible to make anything but an educated guess based on specs. Sometimes you just play a guitar and go "that's the stuff!"

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Keep the Squier, and then make the judgement call on the Vintera once it's in your hands.

They'll definitely sound different, but pickups are easy to swap anyway. Go by how they feel, and how they make you feel.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:31 pm

Yes.

TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomTom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 am

Thank you for your answers. Very you raised very good points.

The another guitar arrives so late, that I will not get chance to compare them together.

I think I will keep it. I have too many guitars already:D But facing the fact that this one feels better than any of those, it´s clear that
I´d rather give up Jagmaster or my old Mustang if it is needed for having this. Depending how Vintera will feel, I can keep this in orginal setting or put something like single coil hot rails. Or if I don´t like Vintera, I can do HH modification with this one. Like some one said, pickups are the easy part. Finding neck&fretboard you like is not.

The big question is, should I keep this one or get a new one without ding.
Is small ding worth of 56€? How it will affect to resale value?

Any advice for that? Also, does somebody know if those slider switches, when rolled, suppose make small noise and you can feel? I´m even wondering if Leo was so genius that actually made 1 with feedback and another without, so you can feel which one you are jusing:D I try to understand if it´s feature or fault.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 am

I'd keep it, since it sounds like you really like it. 56€ isn't a bad discount for a headstock ding, unless it's really bad, and if you want to sell it down the road I don't think it'll hurt re-sale value more than about 50€ compared to an unblemished one. Compare it and the Vintera side by side for a while, and maybe you'll decide that either one is redundant and sell that one off, or that they're nice and different enough to justify keeping both.

Some guitars are objectively better than others, and I have a Vintera that's a terrific guitar and made my Squier VM redundant. But you can think of "good" gear in Marie Kondo terms as gear that sparks joy, that you enjoy and that inspires you whether or not it's really technically better, and it's impossible to say if you personally will like one or the other more.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomTom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:51 am

Here is the ding.

Last edited by TomTom on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 am

If you love the feel of the guitar neck, forget about the ding. You will ding whatever guitar you have fairly quickly anyway. This way you can dig in without worrying about 'scratches'. Finding good feeling neck is the hardest challenge.

Until a couple of years ago everyone complained about the 7.5inch radius vintage necks. They only came back into interest due to one player and one guitar model controversy. The fad will wear off just like multi-string 7/8/9 stringed guitars have fallen away. Sure there are some still playing but no interest by the factories and marketing because they found poorer sales after the glow of the fad faded than regular six string guitars.

Get the Vintera and make your decision to either keep the Vintera and sell the MIJ you don't like or send the Vintera back.

TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomTom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:50 am

You helped me to make decision. Thank you for that:)

I´m doing inspection for the guitar. Found some small rocking in couple frets, but not bad and I don´t think that you can expect perfect frets in this price range and can probably work those out if needed.

But one issue I faced is bridge buzziing. It is quite noticiable. I checked the bridge and it seems to be very one sided, as seen in pictures. Probably should not look like this. How bad is this?

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:42 am

on my cv jaguar, most of my buzz came from the low E touching the tremolo screw, and caused the spring to buzz along. you can fix that by taking the tremolo off and turning the screws around.

there seems to be nothing particularly wrong with your bridge, the action on the thicker strings is probably going to be a bit higher than on the thinner ones. i had a small issue with the bridge sinking a bit over time. i fixed that by putting some nail polish on the screws, and now it stays in place, height wise.

TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomTom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 am

So the bridge is not supposed to on level and it is ok one side to be clearly higher than the other?

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:36 am

TomTom wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 am
So the bridge is not supposed to on level and it is ok one side to be clearly higher than the other?
One side can be a bit higher. Looking at it again, it might be a bit to low on the treble side, since your high E is off its saddle. You might want to raise it a bit.

TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomTom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Good catch! I familiarized myself with the bridge and now I got it. I like so much how this guitar sounds:)
I was first quite skeptical about how I would like single-coil sound. But last night I practiced some calmer
Jimi Hendrix songs using Amplitube old amps and this and oh man, that sound<3

I was a very good point that because there is a ding, I don´t have afraid so much with this and not focus too much to guard it. I have small children, so I will keep other guitars out of their hands but this one I dare to keep in the living room:)