NGD: Vintera Modified Jazzmaster in Surf Green ( + New Stratosphere Pickguard)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SpookyReverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Vintera Modified Jazzmaster in Surf Green ( + New Stratosphere Pickguard)

Post by SpookyReverb » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:53 pm

Howdy
Last week I received my Vintera Mod Jazzmaster in Surfgreen - I haven't seen a ton about this guitar (I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea due to things such as the placement of the trem as well as the type of bridge!) so I thought I'd make a post.

It's really fun to play. That's the main thing: It sounds good to me.
I have a Squier J Mascis and was looking for something similar that sounds brighter. The pickups in the Vintera Mod are spec'd as "Hot" - so theoretically it'll sound different than the Pure Vintage pickups, etc. I don't know, I haven't played a JM with standard pickups in ~12 years or so.
I really like the satin neck, and I'm a fan of the tinted headstock as well.
For me personally, the bridge & trem placement aren't an issue.

Anyway: When I opened the box, the color kind of horrified me (although it has now grown on me). It's hard to get a photo of the actual color (some of my photos here look like sonic blue or even daphne blue), and as I ordered from online, I had to kind of guess. And (my opinion!!) the tort pickguard does the Surf Green no favors:

And here is a look inside for anyone who may be interested:

So - I started looking into where to order a new pickguard from.

I found this post: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 4&start=30 which was great and helpful. However, I kind of wanted to see for myself about the colors of the pickguard, and as stratosphere is so dang cheap, I ordered all of them that I was interested in:

Parchment / Cream / Mint Green

Yes, the Mint Green is very green.
The Mint Green guard on my AVRI Jaguar is actually much closer to the "cream" color here.

Anyway, I went with cream, which I am seriously happy with. I also replaced the tip of the trem arm with an 'aged' tip (WHY do they ship them with white tips when all of the other plastic is aged??). I also went over the PF fretboard a few times with lemon oil.

More info on the STRATosphere pickguard:

I had to use a dremel and a craft knife to create the slot that the Vintera Mod bridge sits in. It took me awhile, but I would imagine almost anyone else could do it faster, haha.

The holes lined up perfectly other than the bridge situation. It's hard to tell, but here is the stock PG and the Stratosphere PG stacked up looking down:

I mean, that's perfect, right?

Another view of them stacked:

And the backs - Stratosphere on the left, stock on the right (I imagine I may have my guitar apart again soon to add some shielding!)

Anyway - I was having a hard choosing between the Vintera and the Vintera Mod. I like the Vintera Mod a lot, but I'm also sure that the Vintera is a hit, so I couldn't really go wrong.

Anyway - thanks for looking!

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Vintera Modified Jazzmaster in Surf Green ( + New Stratosphere Pickguard)

Post by jdr1014 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Congrats - nice looking new Jazzmaster. Like the cream pickguard better than the tort. Easy to change if you want a different look in the future. Enjoy :)

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Vintera Modified Jazzmaster in Surf Green ( + New Stratosphere Pickguard)

Post by whitewatersky » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:13 pm

Man I’ve been eyeing off that guitar for a while now.

Yeah that new guard looks really cool.
Last edited by whitewatersky on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpookyReverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SpookyReverb » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:13 pm

jdr1014 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:18 pm
Congrats - nice looking new Jazzmaster. Like the cream pickguard better than the tort. Easy to change if you want a different look in the future. Enjoy :)
Thanks!

whitewatersky wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:13 pm
Man I’ve been eyeing off that guitar for a while now.

Yeah that new guard looks really cool. I know this is dumb but until I can get my’ol 61 sorted out with A New nut & general overhaul I feel like getting one of these because it would be so fun to play and look at!!!
That doesn't sound dumb - and there is nothing wrong with having a couple Jazzmasters anyway! haha

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 am

.........very pretty PF fretboard too!

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:33 am

edit - deleted duplicate post
Last edited by jdr1014 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:59 am

Congratulations!
That's a really nice looking Jazzmaster. The cream pickguard makes it look very classy.
The satin neck also looks cool, almost aged/roadworn in colour.
I have a Vintera 60's Jazzmaster and I was perplexed as to why it came with off-white/aged plastic parts and yet a bright white tremolo bar tip.
I'm going to change mine too at some point soon.
May the Fuzz be with you