Mojo Gold Foils- a few questions?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mojo Gold Foils- a few questions?

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:35 pm

Maybe I should have posted this in the parts/mods section, so if mods feel it's more appropriate there, feel free to move it. That said, I wanted to get more eyes on this sucka.

Since stimulus money finally reached my overseas ass, I decided to splurge a little on new pickups for my MIJ 66BB Jazzmaster- ended up ordering a pair of Dearmond/Rowe style goldfoils from Mojo UK before Brexit stoves my ability to buy things from the UK. I'm hoping to go for something more lofi/Velvet Underground-y/garage rocky for a new project to go along with my Gretsch. Two big questions:

1. Should I have ordered the Teisco-style, lower output ones instead? I don’t remember the ones in those old Harmony arch tops having that much output (at least not noticeably more than the Novak P90/JMV I have in at the moment), but Mojo's DeArmond goldfoils are rated pretty high. I’ve also never gotten my hands on a Teisco one for proper comparison. They’re still 40-45 days away so I could write Marc a very very nice email and maybe ask to switch them up?

2. What pot values should I use with these? Will the stock 1 meg JM pots be too much?

Bonus round: How many Hounddog Taylor songs am I required to learn? I already know three.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mojo Gold Foils- a few questions?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:34 am

The Teisco gold foils are a whole different beast from the DeArmonds. Teiscos used rubber magnets (!)

That's as much as I can say that could be helpful, sorry.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:45 am

Yeah, I know the Teisco ones are supposedly weaker (but still fairly strong) and with more definition. I never saw a Kent/Teisco/Guyatone that was in good enough condition to play, let alone get a good idea of how they're different, but people seem to love them both. And lots of players like Jon Spencer or the aforementioned Hound Dog Taylor used them to good effect.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 am

"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am

IME Harmony-style are notably raunchier (and better to me), the Teisco style pickups I've played were kind of dull in comparison.

sigh time to start browsing Harmony Rocket listings again...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm

I have a set of Guyatone-style goldfoils from Curtis Novak in my MIJ Jag, and they're great pickups. Sort of in between a Fender pickup and a DeArmond goldfoil. Apparently he was in talks with Fender about doing a line of jags with those pickups at some point, they were impressed with how well they worked on an offset.

They're very clear sounding but in a different way from a Fender pickup.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm
I have a set of Guyatone-style goldfoils from Curtis Novak in my MIJ Jag, and they're great pickups. Sort of in between a Fender pickup and a DeArmond goldfoil. Apparently he was in talks with Fender about doing a line of jags with those pickups at some point, they were impressed with how well they worked on an offset.

Sorry for detailing, but these the ones that are pretty darn tiny under the cover? I have one of his JM-GF pickups but have no idea what it’s modeled after. Whatever it is, it’s quite clear but sounds rad through a cranked tweed amp. I ask because I’m trying to get some clarity on the types of gold foil pickups that are out there.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:20 am

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Interesting. The pickups I'm replacing are a Novak JM-90 and a JM-V which are fine, great pickups, but I'm just bored of the tone and I'm not digging P-90s as much as I used to (especially after I got my Gretsch with Filters). Guyatones seem like a good cross between them, but unfortunately, I don't want to deal with US shipping at ALL until my native land calms down a bit. Do they get overly compressed with dirt like some of the vintage ones do?

Anyone else have any thoughts on Teisco vs. DeArmonds? I'm very slightly leaning towards to the Teisco just because of the lower output will probably mess a little bit more with the Filtertrons on my 6120 for live use, but I'm still on the fence. I've given myself a hard deadline of Monday morning to figure it out. :w00t: :P