Norwegian webshop leak: American Professional II Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Norwegian webshop leak: American Professional II Jazzmaster

Post by kalipigeon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:13 pm

Re: No Jaguar

I'm wondering if the lack of a Jaguar is because we are getting close to the 60th anniversary of the Jaguar. I remember when the 60th for the Jazzmaster came around they didn't announce new colors and options on the existing lines that were updated in the lead-up to the anniversary.

I'm not sure if that's to create some demand or if genuinely the Am Pro Jags just didn't sell well. Just my guess.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm

pscates wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 pm
Ryan's demo on 60 Cycle Hum was fun to watch. He's about the only YouTuber who does the surf thing on all his demos/playing, so I'll always watch them. I can only take so much fifth-fret blues noodling and dissonant Sonic Landscapes™ from all the others... :wacko:
I think I've watched so many gear demos over the years that I genuinely started resenting electric guitar-based music. I listen to very little of it these days, and I think a lot of it is from getting bored to hell with gear demos. They're either blues noodling, 80's shredding, cowboy chords, or a few select tropes from other genres (to think I once enjoyed playing Sleepwalk, but that was before watching Gretsch demos and hearing it hacked to pieces every. single. time.)

I just generally burnt out on gear demos, too, after realizing that absolutely nobody has any idea what gear you're using once you put it in a musical context. J Mascis used Gibsons all over the recent Dino material and I'm willing to bet that 99% of listeners didn't notice the difference between his Gibsons, Kinman-equipped JMs, and vintage JMs. Many famous recordings of players known for using a strat or les paul were made with the "opposite" guitar than people expected, and never picked that out by ear.

Now I just like making sure that each of my guitars has something different feeling/sounding about it to make it worth owning, and try to stick to noiseless options when possible because it's 2020 and musical instruments don't have to blare dissonant noise unless you want them to.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:40 pm

I hope they release the Panorama trem at some point! Ryan at 60 Cycle Hum showed its range and that's exactly what I need to replace the Warmoth trem on my Partsmaster. What do you guys think of the possibility that they release it as an OEM part?

Also all those finishes are lovely, Fender outdid themselves here. Other than the JM, that Tele Deluxe in Mercury looks amazing.

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Glasgowm82 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:08 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... HLo7XT--aQ

Link for the new jazzmaster being tested out. Not watched it all yet. Guy is raving about it so far!
This isnt wanky blues playing but it sucks as well. I truly love making annoying sounds with pedals, its genuinely one of my favorite things, but its more or less unlistenable when someone else is doing it. Its not shoegaze, there is no tight rhythm section backing the wall of fuzz. Its just boring.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm hoping someone disassembles this thing and shows the inside/guts of that new Panorama tremolo. If it does both things well - that classic shimmer/warble and then some more extreme stuff for those who want that - while still maintaining the classic look, that's a pretty cool re-think.

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm

pscates wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:19 pm
I'm hoping someone disassembles this thing and shows the inside/guts of that new Panorama tremolo. If it does both things well - that classic shimmer/warble and then some more extreme stuff for those who want that - while still maintaining the classic look, that's a pretty cool re-think.
If you watch Ryan's demo (https://youtu.be/fCt_ZrtQ9AI?t=692) it seems to do the offset flutter thing just fine, as well as diving like a Strat. He also said he might take it apart and compare it to a traditional vibrato eventually.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Vendetagainst wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm
pscates wrote:
If you watch Ryan's demo (https://youtu.be/fCt_ZrtQ9AI?t=692) it seems to do the offset flutter thing just fine, as well as diving like a Strat. He also said he might take it apart and compare it to a traditional vibrato eventually.
I've got my fingers crossed that Mike Adams gets his hands on one sooner rather than later.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm

Watching the new Andertons vid to see if theres any new info on the trem - apparently they've changed the pivot system and it has a pop-in arm.

Unfortunately they reckon there are no Jags coming...

https://youtu.be/_0nq4xgWJ3U?t=1336

Also $3,299 in Australia. Yeesh.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm not familiar with how these things work. I know Apple will send demo/review units of new MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, etc. to trusted, established journalists and tech blogger types (Walt Mossberg, John Gruber, etc.), but they're always review loaners that have to be returned (from all I've ever heard/read).

What's the story here? Does Ryan at 60 Cycle Hum have a new $1,600 Jazzmaster for keeps, or it understood that it goes back to Fender in a few weeks, once a few video demos/reviews have been created?

If it's the former...wow, that's awesome! Even if it's the latter, that's still pretty cool.

The way Ryan talks/acts in the video, he sounds like someone who just landed a sweet, expensive guitar out of the blue. He never blatantly said, one way or the other. But he certainly acts like it's his! :D

Anyone here know if these new models are for keeps or not? I saw where Mary Spender has one of those Dark Night Strats, and some other YouTubers have their hands on these various new AMII models. Did a bunch of YT folks just get gifted new American-made Fender guitars, or are these temporary/loaner review units?

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Just sold my AMPRO first edition in Mystic Seafoam. It was a stellar guitar but when I bought my AO 60s JM I knew it’s days were numbered. Didn’t mind the Strat-like pickups in fact I bought it for some tone variation, it’s just my AO is perfect so I never picked up the old AMPRO. I’ll miss her, especially that Mystic Seafoam color, but time to move on. Bought a Martin Streetmaster with the cash!

Series II looks like a huge improvement! That dark blue color looks amazing Plus the Rhythm circuit returning is nice. Wonder how those pickups sound in real life. I didn’t think the YouTube videos sounded too good. A little lifeless and “spanky” but that’s not always accurate to True Tone.

Imagine that dark blue JM with a red spitfire tort...Drool!

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:46 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm
Vendetagainst wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm
pscates wrote:
I've got my fingers crossed that Mike Adams gets his hands on one sooner rather than later.
The Mike Adams demo is for sure the one to watch. I’m thinking I’ll snag one of these sooner or later but definitely want to see what he says.
Ryan

losador
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by losador » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:58 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm
pscates wrote:
Ryan's demo on 60 Cycle Hum was fun to watch. He's about the only YouTuber who does the surf thing on all his demos/playing, so I'll always watch them. I can only take so much fifth-fret blues noodling and dissonant Sonic Landscapes™ from all the others... :wacko:
I think I've watched so many gear demos over the years that I genuinely started resenting electric guitar-based music. I listen to very little of it these days, and I think a lot of it is from getting bored to hell with gear demos. They're either blues noodling, 80's shredding, cowboy chords, or a few select tropes from other genres (to think I once enjoyed playing Sleepwalk, but that was before watching Gretsch demos and hearing it hacked to pieces every. single. time.)

I just generally burnt out on gear demos, too, after realizing that absolutely nobody has any idea what gear you're using once you put it in a musical context. J Mascis used Gibsons all over the recent Dino material and I'm willing to bet that 99% of listeners didn't notice the difference between his Gibsons, Kinman-equipped JMs, and vintage JMs. Many famous recordings of players known for using a strat or les paul were made with the "opposite" guitar than people expected, and never picked that out by ear.

Now I just like making sure that each of my guitars has something different feeling/sounding about it to make it worth owning, and try to stick to noiseless options when possible because it's 2020 and musical instruments don't have to blare dissonant noise unless you want them to.
Maybe the best thing for you to do is stop watching guitar demos!

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:06 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm
Holy hell, if they release an offset in the new Dark Night colour I don't know if I could resist.

I'm picturing a black guard with white pickups on it.
Exactly what I thought - need the white knobs too, though.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:09 pm

losador wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:58 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 pm
pscates wrote:

Maybe the best thing for you to do is stop watching guitar demos!
That’s the easy solution. However, sometimes you want to see the gear in action but the human is unbearable. I feel this guys pain.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:10 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:06 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm
Holy hell, if they release an offset in the new Dark Night colour I don't know if I could resist.

I'm picturing a black guard with white pickups on it.
Exactly what I thought - need the white knobs too, though.
Yeah, I think they blacked it out too much. White pickup covers & knobs would be cool for some contrast in there.